Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Purely on-line purchases

mikemarita 7 35 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2011 10:47AM
Why do people purchase from Warehouse Express when you can purchase considerably cheaper from places such as procamerashop, Bignorman, simplyelectronics etc?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt e2
10 1.0k 6 England
28 Dec 2011 10:52AM
Service, reliability, knowledge, a store front if you need one, we know they exist! Smile
richardCJ 3 27 Scotland
28 Dec 2011 11:03AM
I have to say that i've used both, and never had a problem with on-line shopping, but for an informative chat and back-up you cant beat the local camera shop.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
28 Dec 2011 11:20AM

Quote:but for an informative chat and back-up you cant beat the local camera shop

That may be true, If you happen to have a local camera shop......Grin Some of us live in very rural locations, So we source a good trustworthy supplier, Who can if you wish offer " Informative Chats " as well as " Back Up " that is second to none, A reputation that is second to none, A physical presence as well as an on-line presence, " The Stock " ......Grin Etc etc etc.

This is why we and many many others use " Warehouse Express " re-named " WEX " who are based in Norwich, Norfolk.....Smile Smile Smile

In excess of 10 years dealing with Warehouse Express, We have never had a problem, Sure you get the odd purchase that goes wrong, This is when you find out, Just how good a company is, We had an issue with some " Elinchrom " studio lights, WEX ( Warehouse Express ) went that extra mile to sort the problem out, There are many stories from others who also recieved first class back-up from WEX, Even where warranties had expired.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously there are other suppliers out there, With equally impressive reputations, But for this post I am addressing the OP's direct mention of Warehouse Express.......Wink

I would go so far as to say, That any small price differentail between WEX and other suppliers, Is usually dialled out by knowing who we are dealing with, " Loyalty can work for you " ...!!!

Wink
28 Dec 2011 12:54PM

Quote:Service, reliability, knowledge, a store front if you need one, we know they exist! Smile

I personally cannot fault the service of Warehouse Express/WEX and have no hesitation in using them again & again - reliable, knowledgeable, friendly and real people on the end of a phone!! Local camera shop for me is only Jessops within a 10 mile radius or LCE if I want to go 20 miles - no "local" stores around here. Then there is simplyelectronics who I have used through work but certainly wouldn't use them through choice I'm afraid. They seem to sell items that they don't really have in stock but tell you they do etc etc. and the staff are purely there as data input clerks (no disrespect intended to data input clerks at all - I have been one in the past) and they have no knowledge of anything they are selling.
So in a 'large' nutshell that's why I use Warehouse Express/WEX. Smile
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2011 2:14PM

Quote:Why do people purchase from Warehouse Express when you can purchase considerably cheaper from places such as procamerashop, Bignorman, simplyelectronics etc?

Do a search on simply electronics and big norman on epz and you will find the answer to your question
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
28 Dec 2011 3:21PM

Quote:Why do people purchase from Warehouse Express when you can purchase considerably cheaper from places such as procamerashop, Bignorman, simplyelectronics etc?

Because they've got a good reputation, which is priceless. But I must admit that some of their prices are a bit hard to take. John Lewis have, arguably, the best reputation in the retail world, but they do offer a price match - "never knowingly undersold". WEX used to offer a price "beat" where they promised to beat any advertised price (in stock and not "on sale") by 25% of the difference. I used it to buy a pair of Leica Duovid binoculars for 800 (normal price, at the time 1300, but a rival offered them at 900 so WEX beat the price by 100). They've now abandoned that policy (not surprisingly) but they often don't offer competitive prices. I'm in the market for a Sony A77 and WEX charge 1100, while Jessops charge 1000 - if they don't do a price match why should I buy from WEX?
28 Dec 2011 10:18PM
Taxes paid, no warranty issues as most cheaper sources are grey imports not tax paid, Distance Selling Regulation protection, prompt exchange or money refund if there is a fault etc.
Apart from WEX there are still camera shops where you can try many items before you buy - many are extremely knowledgeable.
The UK importers attend trade shows and run a repair department funded from sales of officially imported items.
By all means shop around using sites like Camera Price Buster to see who is most competitive on what you want to buy.
The BBC recently investigated on line buying - and found 14% said they paid and received nothing Sad
When I buy an item in the 750-1000 or even the occasional 3000 range - as I do from time to time - I prefer not to take chances with my money Smile Smile
28 Dec 2011 11:00PM

Quote:but for an informative chat and back-up you cant beat the local camera shop

That may be true, If you happen to have a local camera shop......Grin Some of us live in very rural locations, So we source a good trustworthy supplier, Who can if you wish offer " Informative Chats " as well as " Back Up " that is second to none, A reputation that is second to none, A physical presence as well as an on-line presence, " The Stock " ......Grin Etc etc etc.

I also live in a very rural location - getting to big stores is not impossible with planning.
I have found I can get to Calumet Manchester trade shows for just 18 rail fare for a 140 mile round journey.
If I need to hire something Calumet supply it. If you buy from Calumet they often loan for free if yours needs a repair - and their 5 year extended warranty options for very little money can be mouth watering Smile
I went to Jacobs Leeds who ensured they had a range of ThinkTank back packs in stock for me to try for a safari to Africa. Having taking lots of gear in and made sure the backpacks were exactly right I bought 2 at better than web prices. The manager then volunteered a member of staff to help get everything back to the car.
I went on the village coach trip to Newcastle for 9 - and handled a Nikon 400 f2.8, 500 f4 and TC 20e III at Jacobs. Cannot afford the 500 Sad
I spend a couple of days at Focus every year (staying with a friend) and usually spend up to 2,000 because of the common 15-20% off UK street on official imports.
I regularly buy items from Dale in Leeds.
SpeedGraphic are very helpful - and get business from me.
I had first class service from WEX with a design fault with a Giotto's swinging arm tripod - likely to result in an improved product soon.
I get Nikon pro service with invites to new product launches. I still have the A2 print they gave me from my first session with the D3 - and maybe get free sensor cleans and minor repairs - plus once a free loan lens delivered to my door in 18 hours because they could not repair a lens in time for a trip to Africa.
Perhaps the most important point is none of the above would be possible if everybody only bought mainly non tax paid grey imports - because there would be no UK suppliers
Call me old fashioned if you want - but I do not mind paying a modest premium for help, hands on knowledge, try before you buy and good service - and even get the occasional grey import price match Smile
29 Dec 2011 8:20AM
Thanks for all the interesting comments above.

I joined yesterday, looking to move from a 40d to a 7d. Like many doing research on various suppliers including Big Norman, SLRHut, etc.

LenShepered comment about all the extras that UK based suppliers provide is a clincher for me. I might save 150. But I want the back up that a high street or UK presence provides.
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 8:53AM
I think you're correct in your proposed course of action, but bear in mind "UK presence" can be just an accommodation address. Suggest you look up the thread(s) about SLRhut on this forum, if you have not done so already.
29 Dec 2011 7:47PM

Quote: but bear in mind "UK presence" can be just an accommodation address.

To save reading the other thread - firms in Hong Kong (or USA) can register a domain name ending .co.uk Sad
You can quickly check if a "co.uk" IS a UK company at Companies House. The full link is http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/8a5558123c864a46ec2016c9c65409b1/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo
Type in the name you are interested in - if it is not listed it is not a UK registered company.
Digressing to USA taxes vary from City to City and from State to State. Because of this USA prices (probably relevant to slrhut) exclude taxes - UK prices for domestic sales include our 20% VAT - so very much the price of apples compared to oranges.
megtyler 2 12 United States
1 Jan 2012 4:05PM
if it's a big item purchse, i want a physical store where i can go back to when i have a problem with what i bought and there's a warm body to assist me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.