Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Purple Fringe Killer?

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
24 May 2012 3:02PM
Someone linked to this in a forum thread about chromatic aberration on the "Cambridge in Colour" site.
Apparently it's a photoshop plug-in which erm, kills purple fringing.

It's not something that I encounter a great deal and mostly, I can dial it out using Photoshop but this is supposed to be really effective.

I've downloaded it but as yet, it's still sitting in its folder.

Has anyone heard of it before? Or used it?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
24 May 2012 3:12PM
Are you not a Lightroom user ?

LR 4.1 RC2 is your friend Wink

To find out more read Eric Chan's excellent blog on the subject.
24 May 2012 3:34PM

Quote:Are you not a Lightroom user ?

Lightroom 3.5, yes.

It was really just a general question to see what it's all about.
teepee 11 745 England
24 May 2012 4:57PM
send me the link for the download please.............tony
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
24 May 2012 5:32PM

Quote:To find out more read Eric Chan's excellent blog on the subject.

That's one of the more useful links I've ever seen - thanks! Downloading 4.1RC without further ado.

Axial CA is nothing short of a b'stard to deal with ordinarily, and especially in fast lenses where it's extremely pronounced at wide apertures.

I think Nikon users already had proprietary software that addressed this - might encourage me to fish out the Sigma 50mm f1.4 more often!
24 May 2012 5:37PM

Quote:send me the link for the download please.............tony

I can't find it Tony!

Google perhaps?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
24 May 2012 5:40PM
teepee 11 745 England
24 May 2012 10:30PM
cheers mate........do you know if this plug in works with CS5?Smile
24 May 2012 10:59PM

Quote:do you know if this plug in works with CS5?Smile

I fear we may be at crossed purposes here Tony.
The link above takes you to a download of a version of Lightroom which isn't a plug in.
The plug in that I was referring to is the Purple fringe thing that I still haven't erm, plugged in and which I can't find the link to.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
25 May 2012 6:59AM

Quote:do you know if this plug in works with CS5?SmileThe plug in that I was referring to is the Purple fringe thing that I still haven't erm, plugged in and which I can't find the link to.

The problem being that purple (often accompanied by green) fringing is typically associated with axial chromatic aberration, whereas every app or piece of software to date save for Nikon's Capture NX2 has dealt solely with lateral chromatic aberration—which produces red and cyan fringing.

One of the reasons why axial CA is difficult to handle is because it permeates the whole image - doesn't restrict itself to the outer boundaries, so making specific corrections without affecting the healthy areas is difficult. It's a sickness that particularly affects fast lenses, with the ironic solution being to close down the aperture—somewhat defeating the purpose of owning a fast lens in the first place.

If you look at the ugly mutt below you'll see a total front-to-back example of what I think is axial (aka longitudinal) CA, shot on a fast 50mm lens. This new development from Adobe will be welcome by many, and particularly as modern high-res cameras tend to accentuate the problem. I guess the same facility will follow in ACR CS6.

magenta-green.jpg

joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
25 May 2012 7:08AM
Purple fringe killer?

Well, you could use a pair of scissors or just wait for it to grow out.

Generally, though, it's never a good idea to go to the hairdresser's after you've had a few. Smile
25 May 2012 7:28AM

Quote:Generally, though, it's never a good idea to go to the hairdresser's after you've had a few. Smile

. . . you've done it as well then?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
25 May 2012 7:30AM
If this were a childish forum there'd be someone working on Jools' profile picture right now...
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
25 May 2012 12:55PM
Tongue Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.