Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Putting your camera gear in the aircraft hold!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
pgarwood
pgarwood  935 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2006 - 3:44 PM

I am due to fly to the USA to cover a gig and have been told by the airline that if the current security status continues all my camera gear will have to go on as baggage in the hold.
I am also told that I cannot put a lock on my metal camera case and that if the camera gear gets lost the airline is not resposible as it cannot be proved what was in there to start with.
So I call up my insurance company and ask for a quote for insuring my precious cargo in the hold on this trip.
Answer: No........... I say But............ They say NO.No No.No
So it would appear the only way to get my camera stuff there and back safely is to DHL it over and DHl it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is this going to be the way of things forever?

Peter

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Aug 2006 - 3:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2006 - 4:05 PM

Quote: is this going to be the way of things forever?

I very much doubt it. For the next few weeks, yes. After that, probably slightly increased security - the petty humiliation of having to walk through security in your socks will finally come to the UK but that will be as far as it goes.

Think about it. Airside, airports have become little more than shopping malls with token seating. People who buy stuff after going through security can only take their purchases as carry-on luggage. Think of the damage done to airport revenues if this source of income were to be stopped forever. It's not going to happen.

pjc
pjc  10397 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2006 - 5:14 PM

Doesn't your normal insurance cover travel abroad. I'm about to travel myself and I've just bought a hard case to put my equipment in.

Pete.

Mitzi
Mitzi  81011 forum posts
12 Aug 2006 - 7:34 PM

We usually travel long haul in Business or First class and I bought a 'hard' wheelie bag with a lock. It will normally go on the rack above my seat or the stewardess will stick it somewhere. If we travel again this year I would hope to put my soft camera bag inside the wheelie bag and it could go in the hold! It is hard enough to tolerate most of what the luggage folk can do to it and it is locked. I'm afraid airline travel is becoming a real pain and I hate it. We travel First class because I value my legs and will not subject them to economy class seats. We travelled to Harare in economy class and the seats were so close togther that I couldn't lower my food tray! I warned them on the return trip that if I had another seat like that I would refuse to use it and stand in the aisle. This worried them and they provided us with seats near a door!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2006 - 7:38 PM

Quote: or the stewardess will stick it somewhere

Especially if you try your psychiatry on her, Mitzi!

jas

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2006 - 7:38 PM

Quote: This worried them and they provided us with seats near a door!

Was the door shut?

(just buy a Customs cleared padlock and a hard case....the insurance?..well....I've checked with mine and they say, yes, they'll cover me, but I've been with them for a lot of years.)

Safe Skies Locks

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2006 - 7:51 PM

Quote: just buy a Customs cleared padlock

you may want to read this first

Particularly the response from readers

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2006 - 7:55 PM

well those of us for whom they have worked for the past few years don't write in and complain do we.
Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2006 - 7:57 PM

No, but I bet you will when it happens! Smile)

keithh
12 Aug 2006 - 7:59 PM

No...I'll just claim for a new padlock and inform my insurance company

Mitzi
Mitzi  81011 forum posts
12 Aug 2006 - 8:22 PM

Hell Fire! I think I will just stay at home. Fortunately our days of frequent long haul flights have gone. In some way things have got better but in many ways they have got worse. I recall travelling to Singapore via all kinds of places but now it is just one hop from Manchester and no need to go to Heathrow. The only way to really do long haul was by the old Empire flying boats. Low level, land on the Nile, observation lounge and you could open the windows. Those were the days but it wasn't cheap and it did take a long time. We can now do Singapore in about 17 hours via SIA. The most beautiful cabin staff in the world and a lie flat bed - in First class of course. I always collect a set of Gucci pyjamas from them!

Keith - you are still on my hit list so watch it. I approve of you really.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2006 - 10:37 PM

Quote: Keith - you are still on my hit list so watch it. I approve of you really.

I'm not sure which is worse - being on Mitzi's 'hit list' or being 'approved of' by him...

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Aug 2006 - 11:30 PM

Simple Answer don't fly to the US.

nikon
nikon e2 Member 11112 forum postsnikon vcard England
12 Aug 2006 - 11:57 PM

Flew home from San Francisco today, after five hour delay. No problem with camera gear or computer as carry on items, only banned items being liquids of any description. At Heathrow saw every one only being allowed to carry on a small clear plastic bag of personal items wallets credit cards cash and tickets etc.Warning posted at U.S.A. airports that cameras with film, and film stock should not be put in hold baggage as security screening would damage film stock.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Aug 2006 - 12:01 AM

Typical of the British

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.