Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Puzzle

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ARI
    ARI  11502 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Dec 2012 - 6:53 PM

PC is aprox 4.5 yrs, self built with intel i7 Quad core processor, win 7 pro OS, 2 optical drives, 4 HDs and 12GB of RAM. Motherboard is Asus P266 I think. A few days ago, PC would not boot. Lights on the case was on and nothing else. Soft reboot, it came to life and identified 'new' hard ware including a floppy drive (A drive) which was never installed. It went away and updated drivers. Earlier this evening, it again refused to reboot. Soft and hard reboots did not start it. Opened the case and checked connections, all ok. Reseated the sticks of RAM. Would not reboot. Pressed the reset button on the motherboard, it came to life. No messages, the A drive is still there.
    Grateful for any explations to the puzzle.
    In the meantime, have a very Happy, Healthy and Prospers New Year fr 2013.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Dec 2012 - 6:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
    31 Dec 2012 - 6:58 PM

Have you an image of the drive from when you first set it up? If so I'd reinstall that I do it fairly often with my work machines as they get a beating over time and I find the reinstall is a fresh start they need.

ARI
    31 Dec 2012 - 8:14 PM

Bit puzzled by what u mean by reinstall the drive, there are 4 HDs (drives C,D,E and F), two optical drives (drives G and H). There is no A drive installed, but the machine now sees one.

User_Removed
    31 Dec 2012 - 8:42 PM

I think your CMOS battery is dead, BIOS has reverted to failsafe defaults (hence A drive etc.) If you don't know how to replace the battery and reconfigure the BIOS it's a fairly easy job for a computer repair person.

chris.maddock
    31 Dec 2012 - 9:30 PM

Quote: I think your CMOS battery is dead, BIOS has reverted to failsafe defaults (hence A drive etc.)

That was my thought but I wasn't sure - in failsafe mode would it assume the presence of a floppy drive rather than trying to detect one?

Jestertheclown
    31 Dec 2012 - 10:02 PM

Quote: I think your CMOS battery is dead, BIOS has reverted to failsafe defaults (hence A drive etc.)

I think that you're right Chris.
    My machine began attempting to boot from a floppy drive that doesn't exist a little while ago.
    A new battery sorted it out. Dead easy to put right too.
    In fact, I think that it may have been you that suggested it.

ARI
    31 Dec 2012 - 10:07 PM

The PC failed to boot on both occassions. The first time, when it booted, it 'saw' the floppy, looked for and found drivers for a non existant device. The second time earlier today, it rebooted after pressing the reset button on the motherboard. No messages. Not really consistant with a duff battery. A failing battery would generate a message or a kind of 'beep'?

Jestertheclown
    31 Dec 2012 - 10:38 PM

Quote: A failing battery would generate a message or a kind of 'beep'?

Mine didn't.
    The machine just began attempting to boot from the non-existent floppy drive.

puertouk
    puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 11:28 AM

You may have to go into your bios and tell your PC where to boot, normally "C" drive. My PC is down and would not boot. I had an engineer out, who actually built it. I´m still waiting to get it up and running after 2 months! First, check your bios battery, then your boot order, then your power supply, using a meter to check the power is OK. After that, remove your RAM and see if you get a beep warning. Then your various other plug-ins. If that fails it could be your motherboard or your CPU. Intel supplied me with a brand new 980 Extreme, which originally cost me 800 pounds for free. This has not rectified my problem, which leaves the motherboard. Oh, and how much fun have I had with this! Asus Rampage III Extreme. There´s not a computer shop in the UK who has one in stock! I have been in touch with both Intel and Gigabyte as well, to try and get a replacement board and guess what? None of them seem that bothered if I purchase one or not. They build them, but they will not sell them to an individual, only a reseller, but yet again, there´s no resellers in the UK with a motherboard I require!!!! Living inTenerife makes it even more difficult, as the computer stores will not ship to a individual over here because of the tax situation. The guy who built my PC and who shipped in the parts originally does not seem all that interested. I´ve asked another guy out here if he can help and he does not seem interested either. So, you think you have a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!

Fogey
    Fogey  168 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 2:42 PM

Sounds to me like your BIOS chip is on the blink. These are quite easily replaced, provided you can get the Bios chip for your motherboard and you use the right tool for the job.

My wife used to teach the computer technicians course at the local college before she retired and she created a website to aid her teaching.

This link will take you to the relevant part of her site.

http://www.tecks.co.uk/technicians/motherboard/bios.html

Hope this helps.

Edited to say:
    Google 'Beep codes' for your motherboard. These codes will tell you what is failing on your POST. (Power On Self Test). Your type of motherboard will be shown when you first switch on the computer.

Last Modified By Fogey at 1 Jan 2013 - 2:54 PM
    Fogey
    1 Jan 2013 - 3:01 PM

There is some information on Beeps codes here for the AMI and Award bios. Look under PDF handouts.

http://www.tecks.co.uk/technicians/handouts.html

Bear in mind that these are now quite old and you will need to search for the latest beep codes.

Just spoken to the wife and she agrees it could very well be your bios. Her advice is to buy another motherboard that supports your processor, RAM and drives.

Again, hope this helps.

Last Modified By Fogey at 1 Jan 2013 - 3:08 PM
    ARI
    1 Jan 2013 - 7:17 PM

Just back in since my last post, will not be able to check the pc fr fortnight due to work issues starting tomorrow. Not in posn t look at it today due to New Year jollifications. Thanks fr the tips will post further.

ARI
    12 Jan 2013 - 5:50 PM

Changed the BIOS battery. PC is dead. On the motherboard, a red start and a green reset button on a steady blink. The motherboard is ASUS p6T Delux V2. Been trying t find soultion on the net and no luck.
    Any thoughts.

Fogey
    15 Feb 2013 - 3:02 PM

Sounds very much like a duff motherboard to me.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.