Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Quality Compact

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Munro
Munro  638 forum posts United Kingdom
5 May 2009 - 1:36 PM

A little advice please.

I am looking for a compact camera to use alongside my dslr and as this is an area I am not too familiar with I am seeking any views.

I am looking for a compact which will deliver high/good quality results in a wide range of situations, ie landscapes when I am out walking, social events etc. It does not need the specific capability to be able to deliver in areas such as high speed sports action. It is to be used in situations where it has been handily placed in my pocket.

I am not overly concerned by the price (max 450ish), but just want something which is flexible/creative enough to allow some enjoyment in the process. I am currently a Canon user and have looked at the Canon PowerShot G10, but would appreciate any thoughts. I am happy to use any manufacturer, ie Canon/Nikon/Leica(?) in order to get the best results. RAW images would be desirable.

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 May 2009 - 1:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead
Metalhead  61864 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2009 - 1:42 PM

Most of the cheaper Canon PowerShot range (A590IS, A720IS etc) can use the CHDK software hack to allow RAW shooting and a whole host of other functions too. You could slash your budget in half if you wanted to save a few quid, and still have RAW capabilities.

Just a thought.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2009 - 1:43 PM

Canon G9/Canon G10/ Panasonic LX3

User_Removed
5 May 2009 - 2:10 PM

Bookmarking.

andart
andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
5 May 2009 - 2:33 PM

Quote: It is to be used in situations where it has been handily placed in my pocket.

I would have thought that size would rule out the G10.

Have a look on "luminous landscape" - there is a comparison of 3 compacts (though not with raw) for the situations you describe.

Last Modified By andart at 5 May 2009 - 2:34 PM
riprap007
riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2009 - 2:36 PM

Ricoh use RAW too, the GDR II has an excellent prime lens (so may not be as flexible as you'd like) the CX1 a wide DR, with similarities to the Fuji EXR 200.

The G10 has a viewfinder (but mad distortions in the VF, and is bulky) the Leica... well the LX3 is the same (with very marginal processing differences) bar price! Also worth considering the Sigma DP2

Depends a bit on what compromises you want to make... for me I wanted an optical VF, RAW and sharp WA lens, which limited my choices.

Last Modified By riprap007 at 5 May 2009 - 2:36 PM
DuncanDisorderly

I've a borrowed G9 last year and it didn't cope in low light without flash. I find the warning that pre-flash gives the subject ruins the candid feel to social images. I'm not sure the G10 is any better.

On the other hand my LX3 is very good in low light right down to a candle lit restaurant. Last week I was photographing a company meal at Mal Maison in Oxford, anyone who knows the restaurant will know the lighting! I kept getting prompted that my camera didn't appear to be working as the flash wasn't going off - LOL, that was until I showed them the images I was taking! Several people I know now have an LX3 with the decision made purely on images I've taken at an event they attended.

Here's a thread on dpreview with some samples I've taken with the LX3.

Don't just take my word for it - read this high-end compact group test on dpreview and draw your own conclusions.

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2009 - 3:15 PM

Its tricky, I find myself thinking the G10 is the better all rounder, mainly due to the focal length range, but the LX3 is an attractive thought.

I thought about all this last year then found a cheep as they come A570IS and use the CHKD hack and all is well. I wish it went closer to 28mm at the wide end (I just stitch images for the moment), but for the rest it is great. I just found it hard to justify spending a lot on a compact camera given the compromises.

booboocat
booboocat  7201 forum posts United Kingdom
5 May 2009 - 3:37 PM

I just got a 2nd hand Canon A640 and to be honest I couldnt be more happy with its performance.
Being a Canon user,with the 350d to begin with I was hoping it would be good,but found it great.
handy,compact,full features on it,easy to use,brill image quality.
So how about like someone suggested,one of the canon A570is,a640 range.

BubbaG2000
5 May 2009 - 3:59 PM

Quote: Last week I was photographing a company meal at Mal Maison in Oxford, anyone who knows the restaurant will know the lighting! I kept getting prompted that my camera didn't appear to be working as the flash wasn't going off - LOL, that was until I showed them the images I was taking! Several people I know now have an LX3 with the decision made purely on images I've taken at an event they attended.

Best review I have read! If I was going compact, that's what I'd go for.

Rob_Taylor
Rob_Taylor  10659 forum posts Wales5 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2009 - 5:22 PM

I'm an LX3 user and from personal experience ....it's a cracking camera! Low light capability is really good due to the f2.0 lens, the image stabilisation and the slightly larger sensor giving better high ISO performance.
I love using the camera, find it very responsive and intuitive, loads of manual control, a real photographers camera. I honestly prefer using the LX3 to my D300.
On the downside, to balance the argument, the screen is very difficult to see in sunny conditions outdoors so I'm looking for an optional add-on viewfinder. Although reasonably compact, it is solid and needs a decent size pocket as the lens protrudes. Also high ISO is not brilliant ....don't expect too much, I can get away with ISO400 mostly.
I don't think any camera is perfect but the LX3 is pretty damn good.

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
5 May 2009 - 5:30 PM

All good points and really personal favours i reckon, so my tupence worth is a Ricoh Caplio GX100 a wee cracker in all ways Smile

And the Leica D-Lux 3 Smile

Last Modified By daviewat at 5 May 2009 - 5:33 PM
strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2009 - 5:42 PM

Is the D-Lux 3 not just the LX2 in a new wrapper with a suitable price rise?

Last Modified By strawman at 5 May 2009 - 5:42 PM
daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
5 May 2009 - 5:48 PM

Quote: Is the D-Lux 3 not just the LX2 in a new wrapper with a suitable price rise?

No Smile

He he nearly but there just seems something a little more with the D -Lux

Last Modified By daviewat at 5 May 2009 - 5:49 PM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2009 - 5:52 PM

Quote: He he nearly but there just seems something a little more with the D -Lux

Yes. That little red spot and the Leica price-tag, mainly. Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.