Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Question: The Live View concept in DSLRsL

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
soldier1809
12 Feb 2009 - 3:20 AM

Dear guys
I would ask about the Live view concept in DSLR cameras, for example the Sony alpha A200 model donít support the Live view while the Sony alpha A300&A350 is support, so what is the difference when camera support while the other is not support, also if I am a beginner and I want to buy a DSLR camera, does I need to buy a camera support this option. Can explain to me the concept of Live View.
my greeting

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Feb 2009 - 3:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014204 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2009 - 5:02 AM

Live view is when you can see the picture on the lcd monitor on the back of the camera before you take the shot, like on a compact camera. I have it on my camera, and it helps with very close shots of small subjects like insects. You can also magnify the image on live view to focus better manually. It can also be helpful in landscape photography.

Without live view you have to compose your picture using the viewfinder, which can be difficult in close-up photography.

It is not necessary for you to buy a camera with live view, but you might find it useful, it is your choice. There are many entry level and intermediate SLR cameras available for a reasonable price that are all excellent for a beginner. Good advice that I read somewhere is buy the best camera, tripod, and lenses that you can afford.

Hope this helps,
Denny

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
soldier1809
12 Feb 2009 - 6:44 AM

Quote: Live view is when you can see the picture on the lcd monitor on the back of the camera before you take the shot, like on a compact camera. I have it on my camera, and it helps with very close shots of small subjects like insects. You can also magnify the image on live view to focus better manually. It can also be helpful in landscape photography.

Without live view you have to compose your picture using the viewfinder, which can be difficult in close-up photography.

It is not necessary for you to buy a camera with live view, but you might find it useful, it is your choice. There are many entry level and intermediate SLR cameras available for a reasonable price that are all excellent for a beginner. Good advice that I read somewhere is buy the best camera, tripod, and lenses that you can afford.

Hope this helps,
Denny

Thanks Denny
Soldier1809

GreyMoonRising
12 Feb 2009 - 9:34 AM

Just another way of running the batteries down...what's wrong with using the view-finder?

Last Modified By GreyMoonRising at 12 Feb 2009 - 9:35 AM
FatHandedChap
12 Feb 2009 - 9:38 AM

I was wary at first, but have used it a few times on my D300. It's usually when the camera is very low to the ground and using the viewfinder would involve laying in the sea.

User_Removed
12 Feb 2009 - 9:42 AM

Quote: Just another way of running the batteries down...what's wrong with using the view-finder?

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

GreyMoonRising
12 Feb 2009 - 10:10 AM

Danke Barrie

GreyMoonRising
12 Feb 2009 - 10:11 AM

Vous is Das Barrie?

GreyMoonRising
12 Feb 2009 - 10:12 AM

An angle finder is better and does not run the batteries down...

MeanGreeny
12 Feb 2009 - 10:25 AM

Quote: An angle finder is better and does not run the batteries down...

^^
What he said

RokGeetar
RokGeetar  5202 forum posts England
12 Feb 2009 - 10:27 AM

I use live view for macro work. Live view locks the mirror up so if you zoom in to manual focus on your subject then self-time or remote release you get good steady pictures. Just another tool, use it or don't.

loweskid
loweskid  122042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2009 - 5:00 PM

Use it tethered to a computer and you can use the computer screen to focus - much easier than either the LCD or the viewfinder.

Quote: Just another way of running the batteries down...what's wrong with using the view-finder?

What's wrong with running the batteries down? Take a couple of spares and then charge them up again later..!

RokGeetar
RokGeetar  5202 forum posts England
12 Feb 2009 - 5:06 PM

Agree! What are batteries for if not for running down?! Wink

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2009 - 5:26 PM

Soldier, the Sony version of liveview uses a second sensor and has a tilting LCD, so it has plus and minus points.

Plus it keeps the fast autofocus, so you could use it for photographing people in the street and pretend you are not watching them. Also you can photograph things low down and twist the LCD so it is easier to see what the camera is looking at, or use it for overhead photography.

Minus, well it is not as good for tripod type photography or macro photography. The mirror keeps on moving so it is a source of vibration. Also as you are not using the actual sensor that is going to take the picture you cannot use it to check the precise depth of field with the lens stopped down.

Its a choice thing.

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2009 - 5:38 PM

Quote: The mirror keeps on moving so it is a source of vibration.

Never found it a problem & I do a lot of long exposure hdr stuff.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.