Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Question: The Live View concept in DSLRsL

12 Feb 2009 3:20AM
Dear guys
I would ask about the Live view concept in DSLR cameras, for example the Sony alpha A200 model donít support the Live view while the Sony alpha A300&A350 is support, so what is the difference when camera support while the other is not support, also if I am a beginner and I want to buy a DSLR camera, does I need to buy a camera support this option. Can explain to me the concept of Live View.
my greeting

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
12 Feb 2009 5:02AM
Live view is when you can see the picture on the lcd monitor on the back of the camera before you take the shot, like on a compact camera. I have it on my camera, and it helps with very close shots of small subjects like insects. You can also magnify the image on live view to focus better manually. It can also be helpful in landscape photography.

Without live view you have to compose your picture using the viewfinder, which can be difficult in close-up photography.

It is not necessary for you to buy a camera with live view, but you might find it useful, it is your choice. There are many entry level and intermediate SLR cameras available for a reasonable price that are all excellent for a beginner. Good advice that I read somewhere is buy the best camera, tripod, and lenses that you can afford.

Hope this helps,
Denny
12 Feb 2009 6:44AM

Quote:Live view is when you can see the picture on the lcd monitor on the back of the camera before you take the shot, like on a compact camera. I have it on my camera, and it helps with very close shots of small subjects like insects. You can also magnify the image on live view to focus better manually. It can also be helpful in landscape photography.

Without live view you have to compose your picture using the viewfinder, which can be difficult in close-up photography.

It is not necessary for you to buy a camera with live view, but you might find it useful, it is your choice. There are many entry level and intermediate SLR cameras available for a reasonable price that are all excellent for a beginner. Good advice that I read somewhere is buy the best camera, tripod, and lenses that you can afford.

Hope this helps,
Denny

Thanks Denny
Soldier1809
GreyMoonRising 6 1.5k 1
12 Feb 2009 9:34AM
Just another way of running the batteries down...what's wrong with using the view-finder?
12 Feb 2009 9:38AM
I was wary at first, but have used it a few times on my D300. It's usually when the camera is very low to the ground and using the viewfinder would involve laying in the sea.
User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 9:42AM

Quote:Just another way of running the batteries down...what's wrong with using the view-finder?

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses
GreyMoonRising 6 1.5k 1
12 Feb 2009 10:10AM
Danke Barrie
GreyMoonRising 6 1.5k 1
12 Feb 2009 10:11AM
Vous is Das Barrie?
GreyMoonRising 6 1.5k 1
12 Feb 2009 10:12AM
An angle finder is better and does not run the batteries down...
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
12 Feb 2009 10:25AM

Quote:An angle finder is better and does not run the batteries down...

^^
What he said
RokGeetar e2
6 202 England
12 Feb 2009 10:27AM
I use live view for macro work. Live view locks the mirror up so if you zoom in to manual focus on your subject then self-time or remote release you get good steady pictures. Just another tool, use it or don't.
loweskid e2
13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 5:00PM
Use it tethered to a computer and you can use the computer screen to focus - much easier than either the LCD or the viewfinder.

Quote:Just another way of running the batteries down...what's wrong with using the view-finder?

What's wrong with running the batteries down? Take a couple of spares and then charge them up again later..!
RokGeetar e2
6 202 England
12 Feb 2009 5:06PM
Agree! What are batteries for if not for running down?! Wink
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 5:26PM
Soldier, the Sony version of liveview uses a second sensor and has a tilting LCD, so it has plus and minus points.

Plus it keeps the fast autofocus, so you could use it for photographing people in the street and pretend you are not watching them. Also you can photograph things low down and twist the LCD so it is easier to see what the camera is looking at, or use it for overhead photography.

Minus, well it is not as good for tripod type photography or macro photography. The mirror keeps on moving so it is a source of vibration. Also as you are not using the actual sensor that is going to take the picture you cannot use it to check the precise depth of field with the lens stopped down.

Its a choice thing.
RogBrown e2
8 3.0k 10 England
12 Feb 2009 5:38PM

Quote:The mirror keeps on moving so it is a source of vibration.

Never found it a problem & I do a lot of long exposure hdr stuff.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.