Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Question about calibration and Coloredge Monitors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KarimB
    KarimB  1
    14 Oct 2013 - 6:26 PM

Hi! I am currently looking for a new monitor, and I hope you can help answer some of questions about calibration and sRGB/aRGB.

I got very specific needs for my new monitors, which are a PVA panel and max 1600/1650 width, and my eyes are set on two possible monitors. One of them is the Eizo CG223W coloredge, which is wide gamut. I won't do much photo/image editing work, so in that sense a wide gamut monitor is probably not something I need, but the CG223W is the only non 4:3 available monitor which fits all other parameters.

My main usages will be working (regular office, text, computer programming), as well as movie capturing and editing (premiere/after effects/etc..) and daily movie watching. I have read a lot of nightmarish comments of people complaining their wide gamut monitor was displaying movies with very saturated colors, etc, etc. But I've also read that it was maybe (?) possible to correct this with hardware calibration.

I am really new to this (my current monitor is not wide gamut), so my question is more on calibration of those coloredge or other wide-gamut monitors in general rather than on this particular model. Is it possible, and not too complicated, to calibrate a Coloredge so that is displays / stays in sRGB mode all the time? Or is there a possibility to switch to sRGB instead of aRGB completely? Or will the monitor always be in aRGB, but the calibration will help to a better "correction" to fake sRGB?

Basically, yes, I intend on staying in sRGB all of the time.

I hope my question is well enough formulated, don't hesitate to ask for additional info on what you think I'm asking if it's not clear enough

Oh, and just in case my other choices would be the 4:3 Eizo S2100 or Nec 2190.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Oct 2013 - 6:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Oct 2013 - 11:00 PM

I don't use movie-editing software, but generally on a wide-gamut monitor if the image is created in a smaller colour space than Adobe RGB and you run it through non-colour-managed software it becomes over-saturated. You can't correct this by calibration/profiling, because the software is ignoring profiles and no monitor compensation is applied.

The monitor you propose has an sRGB mode, as do most wide-gamut monitors, though they vary in how close they get to sRGB (sRGB is physically impossible for an LCD to perfectly duplicate - it's derived from a CRT monitor).

All you need do, in theory, is stick the monitor in sRGB mode, which limits the display gamut and counteracts the lack of colour management in any program.

KarimB
    KarimB  1
    14 Oct 2013 - 11:24 PM

Thanks Glenn! (merci Smile)

I'm totally new to the whole calibration thing, so the whole thing is quite vague for me. So basically I can just set the monitor in the mode I want. However I read that calibration with those monitors in the Coloredge line was absolutely necessary. So I can just do it afterwards while in sRGB mode? Or do I get it completely wrong? Or is calibration then not necessary at all? The CG223 is hardware calibration capable apparently.

GlennH
    15 Oct 2013 - 10:18 AM

Quote: So basically I can just set the monitor in the mode I want. However I read that calibration with those monitors in the Coloredge line was absolutely necessary. So I can just do it afterwards while in sRGB mode?

Je vous en prie.

I've never used sRGB mode, so I'm not entirely certain what problems you're likely to encounter. One possible hitch is that certain monitor calibration controls may be switched off in that mode. Still, it's always worth calibrating and profiling (though the profile will still be ignored by some/all of your video-editing programs - can't advise on that). It's useful to remember that calibration and profiling are two separate actions.

Personally I wouldn't use sRGB mode, because in stills photography I encounter virtually none of these problems - most browsers and viewers use the monitor profile (except Windows desktop), so the colour is always kept on a leash. I'd use whatever setting gave me the full native gamut.

Yes, hardware calibration is one of the things you're paying for in the Eizo - in conjunction with high-bit colour depth it gives better quality calibration.

Your options would obviously be greater if you weren't restricting yourself to a relatively rare resolution. It seems a bit of a waste to spend money on features you're not using, and an inconvenience to have to calibrate in 'sRGB mode' when you could just buy a standard gamut monitor?

KarimB
    KarimB  1
    15 Oct 2013 - 5:40 PM

Well actually what I am restricting myself to is the PVA panel more than the resolution really. I've recently tried AMVA, IPS and TN panels and all of them were absolutely catastrophic in regards to movie watching (cold colors, poor black levels, LED backlight bleeding, etc..). I haven't tried cPVA but from what I've read it's not much better than AMVA.

I currently own an 8 year old Samsung 4:3 19" with a PVA panel with a really near-perfect picture, but I'd like to upgrade as 1280x1024 is starting to feel definitely small. As far as PVA panels go, all of the ones that are still produced (as the panel technology is EOL) are all wide gamut (there are few nice 24" as well), except those two 4:3 21" monitors..

GlennH
    15 Oct 2013 - 11:19 PM

Not sure I can be of much more assistance - I use IPS panels, though I know PVA panels typically have a deeper black point. I note NEC use Samsung cPVA panels in one or two of their monitors, and they seem well liked once calibrated. The EX231Wp for instance.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.