Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Question about Model/Actor Portfolios

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pentaxpete
    22 Nov 2010 - 10:03 AM

I used to get a bit of work taking photos for Models and Actors to get them TV parts -- then my main Actor 'client' died and the other one got 'famous' and never contacts me any more -- he is on the 'Plenty Tissue' ad on TV and has been in a childrens' fantasy film. So I am 'out of touch' with what is required nowadays -- I USED to provide 10x8" B&W prints, charge £30 for the service, set of shots studio lighting and outdoors and set of contact prints, then I got a query from a lady who wanted some for her daughter on 'digital' so I quoted £80 ( as it was YEARS later than when I did the B&W prints sittings ) and she thought it was too expensive and I didn't get the job. Can you advise what is required now -- is it all 'Digital' and if so, do the clients need any prints or just a disc or memory stick thingy ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Nov 2010 - 10:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

photostoreuk
    23 Nov 2010 - 6:57 AM

Ive not done any for a while either, but i would guess that its again bargaining in the industry, these are people who want to be famous but arnt yet famous so they will want it cheap as chips. Agents now have there own photographers they use, some round here (manchester) will take you on there books with your shots, then demand you go to there photographer and pay £300 for a portfolio.

I know a few people who have been stung by these, and the agents in question are worldwide agents for children. I know ive not been much help, but i thought i would let you know my experience. To try and answer the questions how many digitals do they want, if its one head / shoulder shot i would say about £40 if its a full portfolio of 10 - 20 shots then i think your to cheap.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Freefall
    Freefall e2 Member 10675 forum postsFreefall vcard United Kingdom
    23 Nov 2010 - 7:58 AM

I did some head shots for a university student - their entire class had to get head shots done for a small portfolio and most of them paid between 200 and 300 for the shots (west London). Feedback from my model was that most of her classmates were quite disappointed with the quality of the work in general. 80 quid for a small portfolio sounds cheap to me unless it's mates rates.

Picture_Newport

We do quite a few portfolio shoots at the studio.

We have a three tier pricing system.

£29 gets you a short shoot (around 15mins) to get a few headshots only. You then recieve 10 3x2inch mini prints of one image from the shoot which are perfect for ataching to your CV and the same image saved as a low res file on a CD perfect for e-mailing / website use.

£129 gets you a 1.5 hour shoot, we take the headshots and a have a fashion/portrait shoot. You get afew diferent backdrop changes, lighting set ups and outfit changes. You recieve 5 different A4 sized portfolio prints of your choice from the shoot and the same 5 images saved as low res on a CD as before.

£199 gets you a 2-3 hour shoot, we take the normal headshots then there is the choice of an in-studio or location shoot with many coutfit changes, backdrop changes and lighting set ups. You recieve 10 different A4 sized portfolio prints of your choice and the same CD as before with the 10 images on.

Models / Actors may of course order addition prints at an extra cost.

HTH's

Paul

filmforever
    23 Nov 2010 - 7:49 PM

I last did this kind of session about 4 years ago..An actor doing mainly TV commercials had just spent as small fortune having colour shots done on digital, but they were no good for the purpose. The agent, who was based at Shepperton Studios, not only wanted "old fashioned" 10"x8" prints, but wanted them in black and white also. Something todo with being able to tell the shape and proportions of the face etc., more easily in black & white than colour, which apparently, is a distraction. I duly obliged.
    Apparently prints are demanded because film directors etc. are constantly "on the go", and haven't got time to "bugger about" booting up computers to view pics. (the agent's words not mine!)

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 62052 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2010 - 10:31 PM

A friend of mine just got signed to Ugly acting agency in London. He asked me to do some more headshots for him, that would be used by the agency, but they wanted the copyright licence in the price. Is this usual as an agency request, and if so, what woud this be worth - per image?

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Nov 2010 - 10:14 AM

Did they want to own the copyright or did they want a licence to use the image?

As I understand it, there are different use licences:

Licenced - customer pays each time the image is used, others can also buy licence, customer may apply for exclusive rights (more expensive).

Licenced: Rights protected - more expensive, but customer is guaranteed exclusive use.

Royalty free - customer pays a one-off price, but can use the image as many times as they wish within the terms of the licence. Customer cannot have exclusive use, and you cannot impose restrictions.

Clear as mud, eh?

Nick

keithh
    keithh  1022556 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Nov 2010 - 11:09 AM

Quote: A friend of mine just got signed to Ugly acting agency in London. He asked me to do some more headshots for him, that would be used by the agency, but they wanted the copyright licence in the price. Is this usual as an agency request, and if so, what woud this be worth - per image?

What they want is an unrestricted licence to use the shots in whatever way they choose, whether it be web, talent book or paper based advertsing. Pretty normal - it's just what price you choose to set which is a bit like asking how long the string is. The one expection they would be used to is billboard - don't include it in the quote - its an extra.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 62052 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Nov 2010 - 5:24 PM

Thanks Nick and Keith.
    Keith has it spot on, except that they expect my friend to buy the copyright.
    The alternative is that they do the shoot in house for quite a reasonable price - thereby giving them copyright,
    and I've since told my friend to get them to do it.

contemporary dave

I charge £75.00 for a 30 minute shoot. This is primarily aimed at actors wanting a headshot for Spotlight. I do two setups, one against a lighter background and another against a darker background. I no longer give prints for these as I give digital files. These are priced at £30.00 per frame. They can use these for publicity purposes.

As for model portfolios, most reputable agencies don't need to see a portfolio for someone to go on their books. A lot of agencies can easily work from a polaroid they take in reception!

Last Modified By contemporary dave at 27 Nov 2010 - 4:44 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.