Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Question for our more advanced members and pro's.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Bloggs
Bloggs  2313 forum posts England
8 Jan 2012 - 4:00 PM

Yes i think your right Ade but you are a pro and i'm a humble newbie but in time i may be able to get to grips with it. As for Chimp ? ETTL triggers ? not a clue but i'll look them up.

It really is great for someone like myself to see what you guys think and be able to connect with you like this it's very much appriciated and welcome, thanks to all of you from me and all the new kids on the block Wink

Keep it coming Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jan 2012 - 4:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2012 - 4:11 PM

chimp = look at the photo/histogram on the back of the camera
ETTL = fully automatic flash (electronic through the lens) technology - ETTL triggers are expensive

everyone is different when it comes to how they shoot things like weddings. I'm sure many will think it insane using flash stands, manual flash and manual exposure when you can get away (indoors) with bounced flash, P mode and full ETTL flash.... but that's what works for them Smile

if you do anything often enough, it becomes second nature - even using strobist techniques in the tight time constraints of a wedding isn't too much hassle.

User_Removed
8 Jan 2012 - 4:16 PM

Think of the hole at the front of your camera as being a bit like a water tap or pipe. Instead of water flowing, light flows. You need a certain amount to come through the hole and hit the film (or sensor) to get a usable exposure.

There are two ways of controlling how much comes in:

How long you open the tap for (shutter speed). How wide you open the hole (the aperture).

All those fancy scene modes etc can only control that hole in those two ways. That's an over simplification but it really is very simple. Play with this for half an hour and you'll get it http://camerasim.com/

Bloggs
8 Jan 2012 - 5:05 PM

Thanks Ade / Chris for this i would love to see you guys in action and watch how you work. Maybe when i get into the local club i'll get a chance to watch someone who knows what they are doing in action.

I have seen the histogram but not looked into it yet Ade however i shall make a note of reading up on it and checking it out thanks. As for ETTL it sounds abit ahead of me yet !!! lol cheers again.

Thanks for the Camerasim link Chris i will have a play with it to see if i can get to grips with understanding how things work. Thanks

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2012 - 11:01 PM

where you based at?

scottishphototours

Bloggs,

I should point out that the use of the "P for professional" post was a bit of fun.. you clearly missed that!

Anyone that turns up at an event and shoots in P mode deserves to be shot, methinks...

Andy

Jestertheclown
9 Jan 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think that all PASM modes have their uses, we'll just all use them in different ways.
Personally, I reckon that "Programme" mode's not a bad starting point if you're still learning about the relationship between aperture/shutter speed/ISO.
It's a step up from fully auto, insomuch as it teaches you how to understand the histogram and use that to give you some control over your results and that link that Chris has posted explains all of the basics really well.
Well enough that once you've mastered the basics of expopsure using "Programme", you could happily step up to "Aperture", which I use most of the time, or "Shutter" without it being too daunting.

ade_mcfade
9 Jan 2012 - 12:21 PM

Is learning about exposure in P mode a bit like learning to drive in the passenger seat of a taxi?

User_Removed
9 Jan 2012 - 2:19 PM

The way I'd teach someone is by setting up the camera on a tripod. Putting camera into manual mode and showing them how to balance out the shutter and aperture values and how to use the meter as a guide.

exposure-compensation-5.jpg

Bloggs you could learn that from the camerasim. You don't really need a book. Hopefully they'll show you at the camera club, it really is simple.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 9 Jan 2012 - 2:19 PM
julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2012 - 9:30 PM

Quote: I find it interesting how many people over the years who I've seen use manual and set what the camera indicates. Same when switching to manual focus and using the indicator to set focus. In both cases that's' what would have happened if auto had been used.

Indeed, however getting to the correct exposure (albeit possibly the same as an auto mode) means that for a set of images taken in the same incident light but with possibly different reflected light, the exposure remains constant. Like photographing wedding groups.

Other than those sort of situations, I use av all the time simp,y becase I want to control the depth of field and I don't want the camera to set it.

julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2012 - 9:31 PM

Quote: It does mean Program, you're right.

and there's a 9000 wedding photography business course that fully advocates using only P mode.... not kidding.

Lol, frightening!

Bloggs
9 Jan 2012 - 9:54 PM

Andy cheers LOL

Jester thanks and i'm sure i'll get it with practice and all the gang here Thanks.

Ade ... see your point lol

Chris ... I tried the camerasim and it seems a really good way of getting to grips with the theory and workings of the D-SLR i'll be using it again and again till i get it right. cheers for that one.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.