Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Question for Plumbers / Bathroom Installers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Taxboy
    Taxboy  12197 forum posts
    21 Sep 2012 - 5:55 PM

We're about to complete on our new house, which will require a new bathroom & en suite. Can anyone in the trade offer some suggestions for good makes of shower and freestanding baths.

My problem is that they all like really nice and shiny in the showroom but I can't see why for example some baths are a few hundred yet others run into the thousands. Any pointers or tips much appreciated.

Also a question on the logistics of fitting - should I have the piework installed intially and then get the tiler in before the plumber returns to finish off ? Or is this a question where plumbers say No and tilers say Yes Wink

TIA for any advice / pointers

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Sep 2012 - 5:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Louise_Morris
    Louise_Morris e2 Member 42310 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
    21 Sep 2012 - 7:42 PM

Beloved (plumber & heating engineer) says:-

All baths are much of a sameness as long as you don't go too cheap - make sure its a minimum of 5mm and then look after it when its installed! Bath should be filled with water when it's tiled. Try a local plumbers merchants for some advice - even B&Q aren't all bad they have some decent stuff there!

Hope this helps you!

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92978 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Sep 2012 - 8:15 PM

Quote: Bath should be filled with water when it's tiled

I take it as a freestanding bath leaving the walls clear.

The plumber and tiler are the best to advise being able to see what is involved.

Keep well away from the cheap and as said, look after it.

Mira showers are well respected.

dcash29
    dcash29  81904 forum posts England
    21 Sep 2012 - 8:50 PM

Some baths are reinforced better so over time they will not creak. Some baths are just a stupid price

I certainly wouldnt look at DIY centres Sad

Look at Duravit

For taps/mixers take a look at Saggitarius, excellent chrome work and good price.

As far as logistics find a plumber that can do the whole job or otherwise if anything goes wrong they blame eachother.

Find someone by word of mouth and who can refer you to past customers to maybe view their work.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 21 Sep 2012 - 8:51 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cozzmic
    cozzmic  2
    21 Sep 2012 - 8:56 PM

Ware could be sottini/ideal. Free standers must be fixed down unless very heavy and won't move if it gets a dunt. For brassware Bristan are good quality and not expensive with a 5 year warranty.

dcash29
    dcash29  81904 forum posts England
    22 Sep 2012 - 8:00 AM

Depending if youre fitting an electric shower or not, make sure your wiring specification is upto scatch to the consumer unit.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92978 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2012 - 11:25 AM

Quote: Depending if youre fitting an electric shower or not, make sure your wiring specification is upto scatch to the consumer unit.

That is now a legal obligation particularly in Kitchens and Bathrooms.

Taxboy
    Taxboy  12197 forum posts
    23 Sep 2012 - 2:56 PM

Quote: Depending if youre fitting an electric shower or not, make sure your wiring specification is upto scatch to the consumer unit.

Fortunately just off the main system but will still need an electrician presumably for the pump fitting ?? Good news just got the results of the electrical survey back - wiring OK other than a couple of minor faults Grin

Last Modified By Taxboy at 23 Sep 2012 - 4:52 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.