Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Question for Plumbers / Bathroom Installers

Taxboy 12 199
21 Sep 2012 5:55PM
We're about to complete on our new house, which will require a new bathroom & en suite. Can anyone in the trade offer some suggestions for good makes of shower and freestanding baths.

My problem is that they all like really nice and shiny in the showroom but I can't see why for example some baths are a few hundred yet others run into the thousands. Any pointers or tips much appreciated.

Also a question on the logistics of fitting - should I have the piework installed intially and then get the tiler in before the plumber returns to finish off ? Or is this a question where plumbers say No and tilers say Yes Wink

TIA for any advice / pointers

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

21 Sep 2012 7:42PM
Beloved (plumber & heating engineer) says:-

All baths are much of a sameness as long as you don't go too cheap - make sure its a minimum of 5mm and then look after it when its installed! Bath should be filled with water when it's tiled. Try a local plumbers merchants for some advice - even B&Q aren't all bad they have some decent stuff there!

Hope this helps you!
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2012 8:15PM

Quote:Bath should be filled with water when it's tiled

I take it as a freestanding bath leaving the walls clear.

The plumber and tiler are the best to advise being able to see what is involved.

Keep well away from the cheap and as said, look after it.

Mira showers are well respected.
dcash29 9 2.0k England
21 Sep 2012 8:50PM
Some baths are reinforced better so over time they will not creak. Some baths are just a stupid price

I certainly wouldnt look at DIY centres Sad

Look at Duravit

For taps/mixers take a look at Saggitarius, excellent chrome work and good price.

As far as logistics find a plumber that can do the whole job or otherwise if anything goes wrong they blame eachother.

Find someone by word of mouth and who can refer you to past customers to maybe view their work.
cozzmic 2 19
21 Sep 2012 8:56PM
Ware could be sottini/ideal. Free standers must be fixed down unless very heavy and won't move if it gets a dunt. For brassware Bristan are good quality and not expensive with a 5 year warranty.
dcash29 9 2.0k England
22 Sep 2012 8:00AM
Depending if youre fitting an electric shower or not, make sure your wiring specification is upto scatch to the consumer unit.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2012 11:25AM

Quote:Depending if youre fitting an electric shower or not, make sure your wiring specification is upto scatch to the consumer unit.

That is now a legal obligation particularly in Kitchens and Bathrooms.
Taxboy 12 199
23 Sep 2012 2:56PM

Quote:Depending if youre fitting an electric shower or not, make sure your wiring specification is upto scatch to the consumer unit.

Fortunately just off the main system but will still need an electrician presumably for the pump fitting ?? Good news just got the results of the electrical survey back - wiring OK other than a couple of minor faults Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.