Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Question on MEMORY

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pentaxpete
    10 May 2011 - 9:31 AM

I have a collection of scanned negatives all as 'TIFFS' which are large files -- now if I delete these does it also delete the MEMORY of what PhotoShop did to them ? There is a thing in PhotoShop 7 called 'PURGE' and it is supposed to purge the memory but I am not sure if I 'purge' a TIFF if it will purge the computer memory also !

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 May 2011 - 9:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    10 May 2011 - 9:33 AM

Sometimes, the only way to clean the RAM is to restart the machine. Mine always seem to run a bit quicker when I've restarted.

Kris_Dutson
    10 May 2011 - 9:38 AM

As above Smile

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

rebooting is king with windows...

any UNIX experts out there will be doing an evil laugh right now, and scratching their beards Wink

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Quote: I have a collection of scanned negatives all as 'TIFFS' which are large files -- now if I delete these does it also delete the MEMORY of what PhotoShop did to them ? There is a thing in PhotoShop 7 called 'PURGE' and it is supposed to purge the memory but I am not sure if I 'purge' a TIFF if it will purge the computer memory also !

What is it that you are actually trying to achieve Pete & why do you want to clear the memory ?

pentaxpete
    10 May 2011 - 4:17 PM

I have only 256 mb of RAM and no more space for more RAM things to be slotted in so I thought I could 'clean up ' the memory occasionally if I could -- I do a 'disc clean and defragment' regularly -- I have Windows 2000 pro. I just wondered what the 'Purge' thing was in PhotoShop 7 .

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2011 - 6:58 PM

for a couple of hundred quid you can get a new laptop with 3gb of ram and 350gb hard drive.... with windows 7.... worth the pennies. Smile

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    11 May 2011 - 5:40 PM

If your machine can take more memory this link http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner will tell you about it and how much it will cost.
    I use it all the time at work.

But Pete, as B.Rick says it really sound like time to shell out for a new PC and new Software.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    User_Removed
    12 May 2011 - 7:50 PM

Don't confuse RAM with disk space. (apart from "virtual ram" that can temporarily use free disc space)

I would have to second (third??) the suggestion that maybe the time for a new machine is approaching but, meantime, google for a little batch file under "clear idle". It will be a free download and if you install a shortcut to it on your desktop, then by clicking on it it will close any idle processes that are using memory unnecessarily.

Cristian
    Cristian  9950 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

I think Big Rick has the best advice, but as Lobsterboy asked, why are you trying to free up more ram?

You can buy extra chips to install, but then processor speed comes into it...a new pc is the way to go and unless you need portabilty, a desktop is more value to the than a laptop.

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2011 - 8:35 AM

256mb is nothing, but if you have no more slots you can still increase the memory by replacing instead of adding. Find out what the maximum capacity stick is that your machine will support and stick that in.

Yes processor speed does come into it, but putting enough memory in can and does have a massive impact on performance. With only 256mb your machine will be spending 90% of its time swapping data from memory to disk and disk is considerably slower than memory.

Even if you put a much faster processor in your machine will still be constrained by the memory, so before you go out and spend hundreds on a new machine it is well worth looking into extra RAM.

On the other hand, if your machine only has 256mb of RAM the chances are that it is rather old. If that is the case you need to be sure it is worth spending any money on.

Ian

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85742 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2011 - 5:59 PM

What was the question?

pentaxpete
    15 May 2011 - 9:21 PM

The question was about the 'PURGE' thing in PhotoShop 7 -- if I click on a TIFF file photo and then on the PURGE memory does it delete the memory of all the actions I did in PhotoShop on the TIFF photo or will it 'purge' all the memory from the Computer ? Also, when I delete TIFFS does it delete the memory of what was done to them ?
    I just wanted to know if it is a method to free up some memory on things done to photos !

justin c
    justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2011 - 9:50 PM

Your computer is grossly under powered for dealing with large files in Photoshop, so why not increase your memory as advised above. Purging the memory isn't the solution.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.