Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Quick question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Paul65
    Paul65  6258 forum posts England
    20 Jun 2008 - 10:31 PM

Ok, quick question.

I have 2 images & using PS Elements and I want to combine both to create a new image. What do I do so the foreground image doesn't look "stuck on" to the background image?
    In other words I want to make a smooth blend so you can't see the join.

Answers please.

Thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Jun 2008 - 10:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jun 2008 - 10:50 PM

There are several ways, The one you use might be dependant on the images in question....!

First up open both images, Then using the move tool, Whilst holding down the shift key, Drag one image onto the other, This should create a layer.....!
    Then lower the opacity of the layer a little, So you can see the background image, Then using the erasor tool, With a soft brush remove the portions of the layer as required, Once done return the opacity to 100%........Then flatten the layer image....!

Job done.....Smile

Edit; The above is just one of many ways, There is masks and more, But they are complex to describe.....And best studied via a tutorial or sumfin...!

Edit2: As mentioned the above is a basic method.

Some useful stuff can be found HERE.

Last Modified By cameracat at 20 Jun 2008 - 11:00 PM
    Paul65
    20 Jun 2008 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Vince.

I've already done all that (without lowering the opacity). Does the opacity tweak at the begining really soften the match or is there something else at the end that might help.

I've tried adding some noise and this helps the blend but deteriorates the overall image.

cameracat
    20 Jun 2008 - 11:06 PM

Ah! So your almost there, The opacity move is to allow you to see whats behind, Although you can use it as a blend move, It may work in some cases.....Just depends on how different the images are...!

However by matching the overlay to the foreground via levels might help, It's kindas difficult to say, Because each job of this nature is so dependant on what is needed individually.....!
    Without seeing what the images look like, I could be steering you in the wrong direction.......Sad

Paul65
    20 Jun 2008 - 11:15 PM

Ok Vince thanks.

I think what you're trying to say is that I should play about in PS to see what suits best. I'll have a go.

Thanks for your help
    Paul

cameracat
    20 Jun 2008 - 11:35 PM

Hi Paul,

Yeah! playing around is good, But I had a thought you may need to look for the " Feather " tool option under the select tab.....This allows you to make smoother transitions to the edges of selections, By varying the number of pixels in the feather, Start at around 5 pixels.......And see how that works out, Just go back in the history and adjust until you get a feather edge that suits your particular piece of work.....Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 20 Jun 2008 - 11:36 PM
    cameracat
    20 Jun 2008 - 11:42 PM

Add to above, I found a fairly simple demo of image blending, And the use of feathering, Thought it might help.....Smile

So here it is.

Smile

Oh! And here's another one, That's a bit more graphic.

Last Modified By cameracat at 20 Jun 2008 - 11:46 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.