Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Quick question on BT broadband usage limits

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Overread
Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2011 - 12:10 PM

Ok their website isn't giving me the right answers and before I do battle with the phone lines and such I thought I'd ask here. So does anyone know if its possible to have your usage limit capped so that if you are about to go over your net cuts out rather than continues on (and thusly gets you added charges).

Or alternately if there is some kind of internet meter that can be attached to the base unit much in the same way as you have payphones.

I'm asking because we have a cottage that is rented out for most of the year (holiday home) and (without asking the resident tech Wink) my mother got BT to install the net - however the realisation that our holidaymakers will easily go over the limit on a free internet connection is a worry with regard to the eventual massive bill that will arrive at the door.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jul 2011 - 12:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2011 - 1:34 PM

I`d get shot of it, but is it on a minimum contract period.

Overread
10 Jul 2011 - 2:29 PM

Aye I'd have prevented it if I'd know it was being suggested - but now its too late, as you say min contract length

chris.maddock
10 Jul 2011 - 2:50 PM

There is a meter on the BT system IIRC, but I have heard that it can be a bit out of date, can't give first-hand experience as I'm on option 3 which is unlimited.

There are net usage monitors available - I'm not at home at present so don't have access to all my info/links/etc, IIRC I used to use a thing called BMExtreme, may be worth a look?

Overread
10 Jul 2011 - 3:21 PM

The thing is can the meters cut out the connection once the limit is past? From what I can tell on the BT website you can monitor your usage and they also send you the warning email by default - but they don't have any controls for stopping your connection once the limit is past = as such they just let you continue on as long as you want whilst charging you at 1 per GB. Fine for a family but a disaster for letted properties (free internet - one week you can use all that up if you keep the connection going and download large volumes of stuff)

User_Removed
10 Jul 2011 - 3:27 PM

Has it happened yet that it's gone over the limit?

In general, people on holiday will tend to download less, they'll go out for meals and for days out rather than sitting in watching the iPlayer.

If it is a problem then BT will let you upgrade to the next tier (far cheaper than paying by the gigabyte)

chris.maddock
10 Jul 2011 - 3:27 PM

The BT meter doesn't - but BMExtreme may be able to, some time since I've used it so I can't be sure.

Overread
10 Jul 2011 - 3:32 PM

Chris - aye it might be simpler just to jump for the unlimited version and to put the cost into the fees for a month to cover the expense (at the moment this seems the best approach - esp since we can't lose the service for a year or or somesuch anyway).

As for going over the limit - its not happened yet since its only been in a week or so (and we were in that week) but the potential is there - a large group or family can easily have two or three laptops these days and it wouldn't take more than one movie fan or kid to seriously push up the limits (night time downloading).

cmawson
cmawson  10270 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Jul 2011 - 3:48 PM

I don't know whether this could help you out: Lifehacker, but it has some interesting info about setting up home networks with "Guest" access which you can control.

j37r
j37r  7 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2011 - 3:52 PM

Even if you are on option 3 you still get capped, you get a warning E-mail if you reach 80gb over a month. Get up to 100gb and your line is capped at 1mb down load speed at peak times for the next month, i am on option 3 and have been there and got the t-shirt.

Bt may say option3 is unlimited but they have a fair usage policy which kicks in when you get to high usage limits.

I use a program called DU meter which monitors my line, but does not monitor any WI-FI connections that are using the line.

you can download it here

www.dumeter.com

JohnWink

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2011 - 4:21 PM

I exceeded my BT limit a few years ago and they contacted me to warn me that if I did it again I would have to upgrade my package. As John said their first action is to limit the speed rather than cut you off (I guess on the logic that high users want fast dowlnoad speeds so it becomes really invconvenient).
But usage is by month, so if one renter takes it for the first two weeks of the month they can use as much as they want and the people who rent it for the second half of the month will suffer. You may have to find a different solution. Maybe you could ask them to limit the line speed in the first place to make hardcore surfing unfeasible or add a coin-slot meter like you find in old style internet cafes?

Overread
10 Jul 2011 - 4:35 PM

Coin-slot meter would be the ideal approach and we already use one for the telephone - however there is nothing about these on the BT website that I can find (though that might be because I've got to shift into their business section). Come Monday we will give them a ring - at present we've 3 basic options:

1) Soak the cost for the year and hide the router and just lose out totally - a pain, but it at least avoids increasing the cost with a few heavy downloaders (heck average PC game is now 10GB or more so you'd only need a few kids on laptops in a month to easily breach the limits).

2) Upgrade to infinity and cross our fingers that all goes well

3) Cross our fingers that a slot meter is easily sold on the market without costing an arm and a leg to install and use.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2011 - 4:52 PM

This might be worth a read....Netmeter....

Ade

chris.maddock
10 Jul 2011 - 7:01 PM

Quote: Even if you are on option 3 you still get capped, you get a warning E-mail if you reach 80gb over a month. Get up to 100gb and your line is capped at 1mb down load speed at peak times for the next month, i am on option 3 and have been there and got the t-shirt.

Not any more, indeed that must have been some time ago since the soft cap had been 300Gb for quite some time - at least a year IIRC.

There is no cap at all now, no slowdown nor even a warning - it changed in April although the only "publicity" I've seen about it was on the BT forums, never had any emails about it which did surprise me, I'd have thought they'd have wanted to shout that as loud as they could.

j37r
j37r  7 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2011 - 7:26 PM

Your right about it being a while ago, it was January 2010.

Nice to know it does not apply any more.

JohnSmile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.