Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Quick Release Head

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kombizz
    kombizz  9591 forum posts United States1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2011 - 9:40 AM

Time to time you see few enthusiastic photographers make something nice for themselves thru their daily life application.
    Here, Mark Runnals an enthusiastic photographer, made a Quick Release Head that you might buy it from different outlets. ( I assume he sold his invention to a company).
    Anyhow you are able to see his invention here.
    What do you think?
    Do you reckon it worth to buy or not?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Oct 2011 - 9:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    7 Oct 2011 - 10:34 AM

It's a good idea but I'd never buy one. I never change head during shooting. I suspect the majority of us don't.

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2011 - 10:43 AM

from my understanding To use it you need a gimble head which makes the cost very exspensive and out of the pocket of most of us so not an option

lemmy
    lemmy  71882 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Oct 2011 - 10:27 PM

In 35 years of professional photography I never found a need to change my tripod head quickly.

But, as an elegant solution to a non-existent problem, excellent.

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2011 - 11:38 PM

Quote: But, as an elegant solution to a non-existent problem, excellent.

Because the problem doesn't exist for you, it doesn't mean it wouldn't be of use to others.

That's not a bad idea actually, especially for those using a big lens on a full Wimberley Head or similar, where they wish to switch to a ball head. I would imagine there's a huge number of wildlife photographers who use a full Wimberley as their everyday head and often wish to switch to a smaller lens, i.e. a 70-200mm, 24-70mm, etc, etc for an alternative image, i.e. small subject in the context of it's surroundings, amongst other situations.

I tend to most often use a Manfrotto 501 video head on a 5 series Gitzo tripod with a 500mm mounted. I carry the rig over my shoulder whilst out for a walk with the aim of photographing and filming wildlife (mostly deer). On virtually every occasion, I also carry a macro lens and several zoom lenses in case a macro or landscape opportunity presents itself. Trying to use either of these on a video head is frustrating to say the least. This means that I frequently swap heads from the video head to an Arca Swiss Ballhead. It's not a particularly difficult process but it does mean always carrying a ring spanner, turning the tripod upside down, splaying the legs, loosening the bolt holding the centre plate to remove the current head, fitting the new head and then re-tightening the bolt.
    A quick-release system would certainly speed the process up and be more convenient to use.

The only thing I would be a little cautious of, is, it's another possible point of failure, i.e. relying on just a small locking pin, which is a big concern when your constantly chucking several kilo's and many thousands of pounds worth of equipment over your shoulder.

Last Modified By justin c at 7 Oct 2011 - 11:45 PM
    Overread
    Overread  63768 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2011 - 11:58 PM

I can see that being really quite a popular addition!

A while ago when I first got the 055XPROB series legs I also got a right angle adaptor so that I could slip the head off, slip the adaptor in and then put the arm out in its sideways position for low level work, whilst keeping my tripod head (and camera) in the normal orientation. In my mind before it sounded very simple and quick, but in practice I've never used it. Unscrewing all the little lock pins, pulling the head around and slipping the angle in all takes time and in the end it just proved to be too much bother and the right angle adaptor sits in the draw.

A quick slide on and off setup like the one shown, would be ideal for multiple heads - provided they can prove that it really can take the extreme weights of pro-series long lenses.

ARI
    ARI  11503 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Oct 2011 - 1:01 PM

Would like to know more and cost. Like Justin and Overread, have a 600f4 which is large and heavy mounted on the Wimberley. At times the head is overkill and cunbersome for landscape and macro had had wished for an easy way to swop heads. Downside is another thing to buy and carry!! Cannot always win!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.