Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Quoting In The Forum

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cabinfever
28 Mar 2010 - 6:05 PM

Hi there, I've been enjoying all the various forum threads posted to the site for quite some time but sometimes I find them hard to follow when they are particularly lengthy and a lot of "quoting" goes on.

If someone quotes another person's post, it can be quite difficult to go back and find the original quoted post because there is no reference to the person being quoted.

This can get a little confusing if the quoted reference is way back in the thread.

Would it be possible to change the coding for the quotes to reflect the quoter?

EG, instead of a quote box just stating "quote" then a load of text, could it be coded to say something like "xxxx said" or "quote xxxx" - where xxxx is the user name.

I'm not sure if the current coding of the page will allow for this change and unfortunately I am not knowlegeable enough to suggest how to go about it - but I'm sure others are.

I decided to post this here as well as using the "report problem/ suggestion button to see what others think of this.

It's a great site and I enjoy my time here but I just felt that tweaking the quote feature a little can only add to that experience and make the threads a little easier to read.

I might be the only person who finds it tedious to go backwards and forwards through the threads looking for the origins of the quotes.

Or am I?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Mar 2010 - 6:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2010 - 6:15 PM

That sounds like a great idea, Why not direct it as a suggestion to the team for consideration......Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2010 - 6:18 PM

Quote: I might be the only person who finds it tedious to go backwards and forwards through the threads looking for the origins of the quotes.

No you're not. This is something I suggested quite a while ago - and was told it was on the list for the next version of the EPZ site. However, there is no sign of it in V5.

Showing the username of the person being quoted is a bog standard feature of off-the-shelf forum software. We haven't quite caught up yet! Wink

cabinfever
28 Mar 2010 - 6:19 PM

Quote: That sounds like a great idea, Why not direct it as a suggestion to the team for consideration......Smile

Thanks for your response Vince. I have submitted it to the team as a suggestion.

cabinfever
28 Mar 2010 - 6:24 PM

Quote: This is something I suggested quite a while ago - and was told it was on the list for the next version of the EPZ site.

Thanks for that CB. I did do a search to see if the subject had already been addressed but didn't find anything - maybe shoulda searched a bit more LOL.

Sounds like it's something that might be possible then if there has been talk of it before.

Jestertheclown
28 Mar 2010 - 6:28 PM

Hadn't thought of that Emm.
Sounds like a good idea.
Jester.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
28 Mar 2010 - 6:34 PM

Quote: Showing the username of the person being quoted is a bog standard feature

Totally agree. One other 'offence' that I find particularly irritating is when some members (usually the tribal elders) refer to someone by their first name rather than their username.

So, when I see something like (for instance) 'I agree Ian' (or John/Fred/Frank/Ann) I havn't a clue who they are referring to. One particular member is always doing this; it's as if he is on first name terms with everyone!!

If you want to be that familiar then please enlighten the rest of us by putting the username alongside the first name. Simples !!

rossd
28 Mar 2010 - 6:39 PM

Quote: Hadn't thought of that Emm.

Who is Emm ???

cabinfever
28 Mar 2010 - 6:55 PM

Quote:
Totally agree. One other 'offence' that I find particularly irritating is when some members (usually the tribal elders) refer to someone by their first name rather than their username.

So, when I see something like (for instance) 'I agree Ian' (or John/Fred/Frank/Ann) I havn't a clue who they are referring to.

Great example rossd. Oopps, guilty of that one too. That's another reason why the "anonymous" quote feature gets so confusing.

Like above when I quoted cameracat but referred to him as Vince. No user name in the quotes. If that had been part of a particularly lengthy thread where cameracat's quoted post had been buried amongst many others, it would have been difficult to find.

cabinfever
28 Mar 2010 - 6:56 PM

Quote: Who is Emm ???

Shades of Spartacus here.

I am Emm. LOL

rossd
28 Mar 2010 - 7:20 PM

Quote: I am Emm.

No, I am Emm. Smile

(OK, enough !!!!)

Jestertheclown
28 Mar 2010 - 10:58 PM

I've never been referred to as a "Tribal Elder" before . . .

. . . I rather like it!

Jester.

(Aka. Jestertheclown)

(The artist formerly known as Mizzogthegrizzog)

(or Brendan)

cabinfever
29 Mar 2010 - 1:36 AM

Quote: Hadn't thought of that Emm.
Sounds like a good idea.
Jester.

Thanks Jester/Brendan/Mizzogthegrizzog

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2010 - 8:30 AM

Not sure about using all of the names, it would sound like a bad case of MPD Wink

cabinfever
29 Mar 2010 - 9:40 AM

Quote: Not sure about using all of the names, it would sound like a bad case of MPD Wink

Aye, that would get confusing.
Rossd's suggestion of including the ephotozine username when replying to a quote is a good one but few people do that. Which is why I thought it might be a good idea to have the username automatically included.

Thanks Discreetphoton.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.