Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

R.I.P Steve Jobs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 10:13 AM

He had been fighting cancer for some time.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Oct 2011 - 10:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
6 Oct 2011 - 10:34 AM

I wonder if he hung on for until the iPhone announcement was out of the way. You often hear of people being able to hang on for a birthday or to see someone etc.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
6 Oct 2011 - 10:40 AM

Quote: Whether you loved him or hated him...

Neither really. He was just a very clever bloke with an innovative mind.

But amidst all the plaudits for Jobs, let's not forget that no one person could do it all. Englishman Jonathan Ives had a central role in Apple's development in recent years. I think it was Jobs who said that without Ives, Apple's success wouldn't have been as spectacular.

It's a tragedy that Jobs has gone at such an early age, yet the intensity of the man's mind and responsibility of his position may have played a part in that.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 10:49 AM

Quote: Whether you loved him or hated him...

Never met him.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96341 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 10:53 AM

Quote: I wonder if he hung on for until the iPhone announcement was out of the way.

Watching the video of Tuesday's Keynote presentation it was quite clear to me that Tim, Scott & Phil were in sombre / low key mood with their subdued enthusiasm and already knew that Steve's death was imminent.
There was even an empty seat in the auditorium draped in a black cover with white lettering "Reserved", presumably for an absent colleague / friend Sad

edrhodes
edrhodes  9521 forum posts United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 11:05 AM

A very sad loss, the guy was a genius and will be missed.

User_Removed
6 Oct 2011 - 11:09 AM

I see that http://www.apple.com/ just has his picture on the front page. There's very few corporations where one man is so influential. I don't think so much that Steve was a genius I think it was more that the nerds running other computer firms were short-sighted and could only produce nerdy stuff whereas Jobs could make a computer "normal" and understandable by the ordinary person.

I could imagine him saying it doesn't take a genius to realise that the stuff MS etc are producing is too complex for everyday folk, it's common sense.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Oct 2011 - 11:11 AM
simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 11:11 AM

The cynic in me wonders if people will rush out to buy "iSomething" like they normally do when someone famous dies?

Sad

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 11:16 AM

I think he will take a place in history along with other business figures like Henry Ford and I think he will also take a place in History alongside Jordan as a commentary on our societies values because perhaps his greatest achievement has been in the manipulation of hype and his ability to master that. In that way he is pretty much a creation of our time and current society. I think he bears good comparison to Ford as both have gone ahead and doggedly made products that the customer never knew they wanted and both were showmen, just in different eras.

My favourite thing about Steve has been the way he can inspire people. His talk to students thinking about careers bears repeating. I think he gives good advice for the young with dreams and ambition. And lets be fair he has achieved a lot, his time at Apple is outstanding, though the Pixar years are probably not his best.

Re Pixar, that was going before he joined it, and George Lucas is really the founder of it as he sold it to Steve, and to be honest it is the vision of John Lasseter that has made Pixar what it is. Steve spent a lot of time trying to sell Pixar, even to Microsoft.

Me I would buy his autobiography in his memory, but probably from Amazon on a Kindle Wink

Last Modified By strawman at 6 Oct 2011 - 11:17 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 11:16 AM

Quote: The cynic in me wonders if people will rush out to buy "iSomething" like they normally do when someone famous dies?

Maybe - but it hasn't taken long for the quacks to try to exploit it.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 11:38 AM

oh dear that is bad.. Sad
and I thought Michael Douglas was still alive

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 11:50 AM

What a great legacy he has left, i hope it continues as an inspiration Technologists, Marketers and Business folk everywhere.
On the ground, the global social interaction Apple enabled, and the employment given and the removal of user acceptance barriers to technology - genius.
I've never yet owned an overpriced apple product but recognise how its helped transform the world mostly for the better.

Condolences to his family.

User_Removed
6 Oct 2011 - 1:00 PM

I want to add my condolences to his family also... A sad loss to the world.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7577 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
6 Oct 2011 - 1:00 PM

This is really sad, though not unexpected, news. As a lifelong Mac user I can honestly say that if it wasn't for his vision of how computers should work I wouldn't be sitting here typing this right now.
Without getting into the Mac v Windows debate it's probably fair to say that all of us digital photographers would have found life a little more difficult if it wasn't for him! The creation of the Mac and its user interface forced Microsoft to come up with something similar making PC use easier for all of us when we process our shots on the computer, so even Windows users owe a debt of gratitude to him. Even Bill Gates used a Mac as his own personal computer at home!

RIP Steve, life is going to be less interesting without you.

lobsterboy
6 Oct 2011 - 1:08 PM

Quote: Even Bill Gates used a Mac as his own personal computer at home!

Seriously? You got a source for that? Last thing i heard he had a machine with multiple OSs on it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.