Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

R.I.P Steve Jobs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 1:36 PM

Quote: You got a source for that?

I vaguely recall that it was a comment made by Bill, possibly tongue in cheek, in a rare joint tv discussion programme with Steve a few years ago.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Oct 2011 - 1:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014006 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 1:39 PM

Its possible, might easily have been true back in the days when Bill bailed Apple out.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 6 Oct 2011 - 1:39 PM
strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 1:57 PM

It is also true that all Apple products at some point have to switch to another OS in order to get the product design completed. Any modern CAD packages run on an Apple OS????

Last Modified By strawman at 6 Oct 2011 - 1:58 PM
strawman
6 Oct 2011 - 2:12 PM

It will be interesting to see how this era is written about in a few years time. Regardless I hope he has inspired some people to pick up his approach and drive apple forwards, as I guess to someone like him that would be a great legacy and I hope that happens. Leave a bit of a hole in that market and he is going to be missed.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 2:52 PM

Quote: I hope he has inspired some people to pick up his approach and drive apple forwards

They are already there unseen and unheard, his backroom boys who know him better than anyone else.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
6 Oct 2011 - 3:07 PM

Quote: Even Bill Gates used a Mac as his own personal computer at home!
Seriously? You got a source for that? Last thing i heard he had a machine with multiple OSs on it.

I once read an interview with BG in a magazine and he admitted that he used a Mac himself; photos with the interview showed a Mac on his desk at home. Can't remember the mag or the date, it was a long time ago.

JJGEE
6 Oct 2011 - 4:00 PM

Quote: Any modern CAD packages run on an Apple OS????

Does AutoCAD qualify as such ?

strawman
6 Oct 2011 - 4:03 PM

Quote: Does AutoCAD qualify as such ?

Nope a bit lightweight. Was thinking more solidworks, CATIA etc. But even then look at their full up versions system requirements page Nomention of any non-microsoft OS.

Quote: Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows Vista (SP2 or later) Enterprise, Business, Ultimate, or Home Premium editions (compare Windows Vista versions), or Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 edition (SP2 or later)

So to my knowledge the lightweight apps only are on dual applications, their more intense and fuller featured design toolset are only on windows. But its not a big issue for most people, its just a corner of the market where apple is not strong. That does not matter for home users. Its like does it mater BMW do not make trucks or a similar question. It only matters if you claim its the perfect one stop solution.

Last Modified By strawman at 6 Oct 2011 - 4:10 PM
strawman
6 Oct 2011 - 4:18 PM

For product design from that supplier you want AutoDesk. My fault should have been more specific it was the toolset to design an electronic product like an iPad I was thinking of. Of course you will have more basic CAD packages on a variety of OS. It just shows how the market has changed and does not impact on the products like the iMAC which are not aimed at hardcore design more at home users.

And if Steve steered apple away from those markets that again is probably the best thing for Apple and does nothing to detract from his achievements. In fact it could be argued it was a smart move, better to aim for the top end of consumer market and hit the high margin products rather than trying to compete in the low volume but high requirement workstation and server markets. It was possibly one of his smarter moves. But it also means apple needs the competitor systems.

I admire what he has achieved just do not buy the package, for me.

Last Modified By strawman at 6 Oct 2011 - 4:22 PM
keith selmes
6 Oct 2011 - 5:23 PM

End of an era.

I am not over fond of Apple, but the achievement is tremendous, their products have always been innovative, and those I have seen have been high quality and well designed. This man was in at the start of the desktop computer, right into this new era of mobile everywhere computing, and I think heavily influential in the way we do things, even in the way many people live today. He is in a sense still a significant part of the world we now inhabit.

Looking at some of the products here http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3121_7-10009693.html?s=0&o=10009693&tag=mnc... it really comes home when you see the old Apple II and original Mac, then jump straight to an iPod.

That was a lifetime that took us a long way.

Anyone remember Lisa ?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014006 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 5:28 PM

Quote: Anyone remember Lisa ?

Yeah - always wanted one, but no way I could afford it.

collywobles
6 Oct 2011 - 6:17 PM

There are some people who just stand out amongst others and Steve was one of the very few who manage this. You can count them on one hand, an inspiration, a great leader and an inspiration to us all. So sad to hear this news.

JJGEE
6 Oct 2011 - 6:59 PM

Obviously he will be predominantly remembered for the technology but having watched several Keynote presentations the thing that impressed me was, well, his presentation skills.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 7:16 PM

Anyone ready for the inevitable jokes then?

I've been sent a load already

keith selmes
6 Oct 2011 - 7:29 PM

Don't really feel like it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.