Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Radio 4's Front Row - Photography Special

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MeanGreeny
6 Apr 2012 - 9:08 PM

Radio 4's Front Row iPlayer Link

John Wilson talks to four leading photographers of the same generation whose careers began in the 1960s and whose images have become classics of their time, from the pages of Vogue magazine to the Vietnam war, and the death of Bobby Kennedy.

David Bailey, Don McCullin, Terry O'Neill and Harry Benson discuss their approach to their new craft at a time when magazines and newspapers were beginning to change the way they used images, and offer tips on how to take the perfect photograph.

David Bailey discusses his approach to getting the best out of his fashion models in the studio, Terry O'Neill reflects on the changing role of photography and the arrival of the culture of celebrity; Don McCullin revisits the Vietnam war and its lasting effect on him as a photographer, and Harry Benson remembers the night he was standing next to presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy when he was shot, and describes the challenge of getting his images of the dying senator.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Apr 2012 - 9:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hope David Bailey keeps his language slightly less colourful than usual! Grin

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 12:22 AM

Interesting stuff and certainly classics of their times , but I think lost in todays dynamic digital world to a lot of more creative and forward looking new photographers not resting on the laurels of the odd famous photo shoot but getting out there and pushing the boundaries further into the creative and art world than ever before.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122261 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 7:41 AM

The odd famous photo shoot? Do you know anything about those guys? Sad

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64445 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 9:56 AM

Quote: Interesting stuff and certainly classics of their times , but I think lost in todays dynamic digital world to a lot of more creative and forward looking new photographers not resting on the laurels of the odd famous photo shoot but getting out there and pushing the boundaries further into the creative and art world than ever before.

Gulp! SadSadSad

Techno
Techno  61006 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 10:11 AM

Quote: Interesting stuff and certainly classics of their times , but I think lost in todays dynamic digital world to a lot of more creative and forward looking new photographers not resting on the laurels of the odd famous photo shoot but getting out there and pushing the boundaries further into the creative and art world than ever before.

I'll treat this with the contempt it deserves........

Montana5
Montana5  457 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 11:15 AM

Wow, shock, astounding...er no I don't think so, just another typical comment from some of the young pretenders on here, who are not worthy to lace the boots of those aforementioned "odd famous photo shoot" Photographers.

Doug.

MeanGreeny
7 Apr 2012 - 11:55 AM

To play the Devils Advocate, Pulsar69's attitude is only the same that Bailey had whilst serving as a gopher in John French's studio n the late 50's prior to doing his own thing.

To play the other Devils Advocate, he'd be wise to not so publicly display what appears to be ignorance of the significance of the photographers in question.

I was sorry my link to an interesting radio broadcast provoked such outrage in you, Andrew [did you listen to it?] so - in the interests of fairness - I compared your portfolio to David Baileys, Terry O'Neills, Harry Bensons and Don McCullins.

Whilst yours is very good, I think you've got some catching up to do 'of the odd famous photo shoot'

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 7 Apr 2012 - 11:58 AM
muzzeyman
muzzeyman  10293 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Apr 2012 - 11:59 AM

"The odd famous photo shoot" F**K me what a crock of sh1t!! Bailey practically re-invented the way fashion photography was done, and indeed the way fashion editors looked at photography.

Mcullin has captured everything from Vietnam, through to the 'troubles' and the 1984 miners strike. Dare to say to him he's done the odd famous photo shoot!

As for Harry Benson, he's photographed more than the odd celebrity. The people he photographed are now icons of our time, not like the current crop of wannabes we have to endure now ie "look at me i'm famous for being married to xyz premier leauge footballer, or I was that tw@t from xfactor who is famous for being a coke head!!!!!!

These men, were at the forefront of photography, they cut their teeth using manual film camers, and didn't need photoshop!!!!
And the rest of us can only hope to be a 10th as good as them!

Just my ten bobs worth!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 12:14 PM

....and no smiley at the end of the comment?

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 12:19 PM

Yes things move faster now. Tho if you had to change rolls of film ( that had to be paid for) after every 36 shots - with no review screen, would we be experimenting as much?

I've not listened to it yet (just going to check the link). But the likes of Man Ray & Cartier Bresson were far more innovative in terms of ideas than many realise - and with very basic equipment.

MeanGreeny
7 Apr 2012 - 12:23 PM

It's a link to a radio broadcast and I hope we can all learn something form it................................................. including humility Grin

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 2:10 PM

interesting how none of them like cameras Wink

So, are you an "artist", or are "just a photographer" - given Bailey's definition ?

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 2:12 PM

Quote: Interesting how none of them like cameras Wink

So, are you an "artist", or are "just a photographer" - given Bailey's definition ?

Just take pretty pictures Wink

ade_mcfade
7 Apr 2012 - 2:25 PM

Then merge them into another picture Wink

#nicksanartistreally Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.