Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Radio 5 Reporting Jessops Going Into Administration.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
13 Jan 2013 12:31AM
Sheffield branch - lights on, no one home. I spent a few happy years here
jessops-sheffield.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

13 Jan 2013 2:59AM
It's pity to see so many people losing their jobs altogether. And it's even harder to be one of them.
I am wondering what's going to happen to the firm's unsold ownbrand stock....
Graflex e2
11 488 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 9:34AM
Another empty shop ready for a Take-A-Way...

2 portions of chicken please.

p.s.anyone here remember Lewis's,Bennetts or Westminster Photographic,from cobweb corner.
Wonderful shops from the past that were REAL camera shops and excellent service.

I'll have 3 x35mm B/W Kodak films and a packet of Johnson's PQ dev.
The cost-shillings in old money.
Paulbee e2
10 36 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 11:43AM
I have also wondered what will happen to their stock of own brand photo paper. When the collaps was announced on the news I expected a clearance sale, just as Comet did. The closure of all branches seems to have been very rapid.
Eastlands e2
4 687 3 Northern Ireland
13 Jan 2013 11:50AM

Quote:It's pity to see so many people losing their jobs altogether. And it's even harder to be one of them.

I am wondering what's going to happen to the firm's unsold ownbrand stock....

Quote:I have also wondered what will happen to their stock of own brand photo paper. When the collaps was announced on the news I expected a clearance sale, just as Comet did. The closure of all branches seems to have been very rapid.

The vultures are circling with an eye on own brand goods, lol, if you hear anything let us know.
cathal e2
10 492 4 Ireland
14 Jan 2013 1:51PM
I must admit to being surprised at the speed the situation changed from going into administration to all stores closed down. I had a quick peek through the covered windows in the shop in Central Milton Keynes on Saturday, and all that remained was the furniture! I'm guessing the reason the shops were shut down so quickly was because the situation was beyond grim, and not retrievable. Which is sad.

I've had good and bad experiences with Jessops, but the chain and indeed the retail marketplace are entirely different since my first experience of Jessops back in 1982 at their "superstore" in Leicester.

Regrettably, I think 2013 will see a lot of retail chains and individual shops go under. Soaring rent and rates, increased on-line competition, and people being squeezed financially where they can no longer afford to pay for expert advice when available, or support the high street at their expense, will signal the end of the road for many businesses.

If any of you are sitting on gift tokens or vouchers from Christmas... spend them fast!
14 Jan 2013 4:50PM
I live near Shrewsbury, 2 Jessop Stores within 5 mins walk of each other really didn't make sense. But the staff in both were very good, knowledgeable and helpful. I really do feel for them.

Quote:

Regrettably, I think 2013 will see a lot of retail chains and individual shops go under. Soaring rent and rates, increased on-line competition, and people being squeezed financially where they can no longer afford to pay for expert advice when available, or support the high street at their expense, will signal the end of the road for many businesses.

If any of you are sitting on gift tokens or vouchers from Christmas... spend them fast!

Agree with all the above, further never ever give gift tokens or vouchers for Christmas or otherwise. First the risks associated with the business going under, secondly the T&C on some can prevent them being used. Best token has the Queens Head on, or a cheque, or bank transferSmile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
15 Jan 2013 11:42PM
I'm scanning old photos in and came across one of the few photos I took of the team at Jessops. I think big Al (second from left) may have still been with them last week Sad
This was in the Commercial street branch around 1989/90. Brings back memories of the crude racking systems they used to install in a shop fit. It worked though. Low cost fittings = lower operating costs = lower cost stock.
pete-jessops.jpg

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Jan 2013 10:17AM
I forget how young Big Al was once and how small he was. Grin Who's the bloke with the hair and ears second from right?
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
16 Jan 2013 10:25AM
Ha I never thought of that I wonder if he strategically stepped back to look like Small Al.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Jan 2013 11:05AM
He probably did...LOL...I remember him stopping me in the Doncaster store to ask if it was right that Pete Bargh had packed it all in and started one of theses web site things.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 4:28PM
Saw this - Calumet offering a perspective on the market place and some possible help for Jessops customers that needed warranty returns.

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/pages/futurephotoretail.cfm?t=CM02&a=CM02&cal

It interesting to note points made earlier here that were missing in Jessops.
"supplying everything a photographer could need, from the camera to digital workflow and lighting. Our teams donít only sell products, their advice is based on extensive training and experience working as photographers themselves"

I've not yet bought from Calumet but hope to one day.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 4:39PM
Thing is, Jacobs as far as I could tell, did do pretty much the same as Calumet but still went under so it is not the simple solution (not on the same scale, admittedly but for a small business like Jacobs the expansion needed to do this is a minefield). Choosing the right market can be a nightmare, and under the stress of dropping sales you are playing Russian roulette.
I worked for Calumet for a while and i have to say the 'training' was pretty much non existant at that time. It had been a couple of years since i worked at jessops, but the Calumet approach (at our branch) was dont open boxes and only demo the couple of Nikon bodies we had on display. Repeat customers who spend big (or the manager likes) are the only ones worth talking to (and only if the manager isnt busy talking to them).

Interesting that when i was hired i was also told that they (or my manager) didnt like hiring photographers. Never quite understood that, but it was hinted that it might 'upset the (pro) customers if they realise the staff are competition'

Like i say, that was only my branch and i cannot compare it to others (or how it may be now), but i know a lot of non-professional photographers felt intimidated walking in to the store.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 4:57PM

Quote:.. but i know a lot of non-professional photographers felt intimidated walking in to the store.

- Actually i feel a bit intimidated even ordering online, i wrote then deleted a line that went something like - i look forward to the day when i feel professional enough to order from them but just felt this was daft - till your comment Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.