Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Radio 5 Reporting Jessops Going Into Administration.

JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
17 Jan 2013 4:59PM

Quote: came across one of the few photos I took of the team at Jessops.

Which of the fine ladies did you have an eye for then Pete.......?

Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 4:59PM
I think that summary of Calumet is pretty accurate if my local store is anything to go by - they can be a bit intimidating if you don't know exactly what you want: offering newbie advice was not their strongpoint. And by offering the sort of service they did, they are catering to the pros for whom follow-up service/care is more important than simply getting a good price.
I remeber they refused to open anything for the customer to handle claiming it reduced the amount they could sell at full price but I guess that is about business management, not just having a camera shop.
steve_p 9 1.1k England
17 Jan 2013 8:17PM

Quote:I think that summary of Calumet is pretty accurate if my local store is anything to go by - they can be a bit intimidating if you don't know exactly what you want: offering newbie advice was not their strongpoint. And by offering the sort of service they did, they are catering to the pros for whom follow-up service/care is more important than simply getting a good price.
I remeber they refused to open anything for the customer to handle claiming it reduced the amount they could sell at full price but I guess that is about business management, not just having a camera shop.

This answers my earlier post about being ignored in Calumet( twice). I was dressed in my work stuff which obviously marked me out as not being a pro !
thewilliam 6 4.9k
17 Jan 2013 11:41PM

Quote:
Interesting that when i was hired i was also told that they (or my manager) didnt like hiring photographers. Never quite understood that, but it was hinted that it might 'upset the (pro) customers if they realise the staff are competition'

Over the years, many of the Bristol Calumet staff have been photographers. Richard was a retired RAF photographer and the Joint Services training is among the best so he really knew his stuff. He was much respected by customers and he did a great job until he retired through ill-health. John is a very competent motor-sport photographer. I could go on ......
thewilliam 6 4.9k
18 Jan 2013 2:58PM
She-who-must-be-obeyed tells me that John has now retired from Calumet.
steve_p 9 1.1k England
19 Jan 2013 3:43PM
Just read in the Daily Mail that there could be an offer for Jessops from OpCapita!

Quote:Interesting that when i was hired i was also told that they (or my manager) didnt like hiring photographers. Never quite understood that, but it was hinted that it might 'upset the (pro) customers if they realise the staff are competition'

Over the years, many of the Bristol Calumet staff have been photographers. Richard was a retired RAF photographer and the Joint Services training is among the best so he really knew his stuff. He was much respected by customers and he did a great job until he retired through ill-health. John is a very competent motor-sport photographer. I could go on ......

I'm sure it was just my manager rather than some sort of Calumet company policy
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
5 Feb 2013 3:46PM
Alan Jessop is being interviewed on Radio Leicester right now
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioleicester - click the Ben Jackson show

Ended...you may be able to listen in catch up

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.