Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Radio 5 Reporting Jessops Going Into Administration.

9 Jan 2013 10:25PM

Quote:

I loved those concertina bottles for storing chemicals in. Bought loads, whether I needed them or not. And the stocks of film, all in lovely stacked rows. So many to choose from and all with their own personalities. Oooh, lots of lovely memories.

Haha, yeah, when i first got into photography i used to go into the main branch here and spend my pocket money (and later, my wages) on all sorts of random things. I used to love the rummage bins full of old lens caps, blowers, release cables, filters and all sorts of goodies.

I'm not sure what its like in other areas, but here (once Jessops goes) there is only one other dedicated camera shop. And as great as the shop is, its just a tiny little aladdins cave that cant really compete with internet prices

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
9 Jan 2013 10:30PM
And the old knarley shop assistants who obviously knew everything, and you knew nothing but tried to sound like you knew what you were talking about. Grin Not like the spikey-haired, estate agent rejects they replaced them with.

And the second hand window. So full of great stuff you'd just look and look because you wanted to buy something.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
9 Jan 2013 10:32PM

Quote:I loved those concertina bottles for storing chemicals in

I probably bought some of those in Jessops as well Wink

And I recall buying my first rolls of 120 format Velvia 50 in their Croydon branch in 19xx ( not sure what year off hand, but Velvia had only just been released to the world )
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
9 Jan 2013 10:34PM

Quote:I'm not sure what its like in other areas, but here (once Jessops goes) there is only one other dedicated camera shop.

Where I am Park Cameras has been around for 41 years, so fingers crossed for quite a few more to come Wink
9 Jan 2013 10:54PM

Quote:And the old knarley shop assistants who obviously knew everything, and you knew nothing but tried to sound like you knew what you were talking about. Grin Not like the spikey-haired, estate agent rejects they replaced them with.

And the second hand window. So full of great stuff you'd just look and look because you wanted to buy something.

I wouldnt say i was quite the estate agent reject or the oldie when i worked at Jessops. More like the messy haired camera geek that fitted in the middle Tongue

Our store had the youngest average age when i was there, with us all being between 18 and mid 30s. Although i did replace the Team Leader who was the estate agent type, and later stood in as acting assistant manager when our manager left (and he had spikey hair!). After that we were left with a good bunch of camera geeks. Erm, enthusiasts...
9 Jan 2013 10:58PM

Quote:
Where I am Park Cameras has been around for 41 years, so fingers crossed for quite a few more to come Wink

I met one or two from the Park Camera team at Nikon product sessions. Some good folk there!
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2013 11:29PM

Quote:Everyone - what was the best buy or experience you had at Jessops...when, how, why etc?

Mine is relatively recent. I got to know the staff at my local Jessops as friends and whenever my wife shopped for "essential items" in Lakeland next door I usually went and played in my "Toyshop".

I wandered in one day, with no intention of buying anything when my mate Steve pulled out the just released canon 7D and asked me if I would like a play.

After 15 mins or so I was hooked, but still had no intention of buying, so much so that as my wife came in and gave me the "You've already got two cameras - you don't want another" look I told her I had no interest in getting a third.

As I was leaving Steve sidled up and mentioned that there was a special deal on it + interest free credit.

Needless to say I was back there that afternoon having sold my 50D and explained to my wife that I was now short of a main camera but that I was "just going to have another quick look at the 7D".

Half an hour later I was home with the new toy (and a bit of quick talking to perform to justify the expenditure Grin )

He still works there so I hope that he makes out OK with the receivership process, its one of the best stores around and the staff really know their stuff
9 Jan 2013 11:54PM
This is sad news, I love Jessops and always found their staff so knowledgeable and friendly. Now my only other option will be the PC world/curry's mega store where I can look at the products, but last time I was in, I was told the only guy that knew about cameras was on lunch.

Also I'm lucky my dad likes the camera I got him for Christmas and that I'd successfully instilled the idea in friends and family's heads that gift vouchers are only for people you don't like enough to find out what they want or I suspect I'd have a few un-useable vouchers right now rather than the actual filters and lens I did get.

I hope that like the shop where I work they will be brought and can continue to operate at least some stores.
10 Jan 2013 1:32AM

Quote:
I hope that like the shop where I work they will be brought and can continue to operate at least some stores.

Yeah, although most of the folk i worked with in my branch have since left and gone on to other things (mostly now pro photographers or in the industry), i do still have a lot of friends that will be having a hard time now. Really wish them all the best
Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 9:50AM

Quote:
I've slagged off Jessops in the past, but only since they started stuffing compact cameras to the masses to the detriment of everything they used to do. When they were good, they were excellent. It's a sad day.

The problem there is, in my local town there are two camera shops (now one?) and about twenty phone shops, all selling low end cameras (phones).
Meheecho 2 275 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 10:11AM
Shame about this as I purchased my present package from Jessops, Ipswich. Found them very helpful and price was good too at the time .Beats going to the big dept. stores in my book
Steve
maxfired1 2 2 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 10:52AM
I also purchased my DSLR from jessops in Ipswich a few months ago, and agree very helpful staff. Its a sign of the times im afraid as online shopping will eventually wipe out our high streets.
10 Jan 2013 10:59AM
Although it is a shame to lose another retailer from the high street and it makes even harder for us to find equipment etc, but to be honest it is their own doing to some extent. Historically the stores were always very helpful and staffed by people that also had a passion about photography, so if you needed advice or recommendations they would help, however over the last couple of years, this hasn't been the case around me. Every time I went in to ask for something, if they did have it (which was rare) it would be considerably more than other retailers or if they didn't have it, they would try and sell me something irrelevant. For example I was recommended a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 which they had on the shelf as an alternative to a Canon 70-200 F2.8 L USM. Other instance was when I asked if they had Canon Pro Platinum PT-01 paper, as an alternative, they suggested their own matte paper. Went to another Jessops store and found PT-01 at 39.99 for 20 sheets of A4 (18.99 +p&P from Wex). Unfortunatley the only shop I know have locally is LCE Currys/PC World. I can see that in the future all purchases are going to come off the internet.
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
10 Jan 2013 12:29PM

Quote:Everyone - what was the best buy or experience you had at Jessops...when, how, why etc?

A very small branch in Aberdeen about 4 years ago.

At work one lunchtime I decided to buy a new D300, mooched around on internet and noticed that Jessops were the cheapest nationally at just under 900. Found out that I could order on the net and collect from the above small branch. Placed my order, carried on working and picked up the camera after work. A wonderful shopping experience.

Sadly though any other Jessops branch that I have visited throughout the UK since I bought the D300 have been poor experiences. Limited items useful for me and unknowledgeable and uninterested staff.
jondf 8 2.7k
10 Jan 2013 12:36PM

Quote: .....all selling low end cameras (phones)

The quote above gets nearer the mark I think. The public's love affair with digital cameras got spoiled by its burgoning fondness for mobile phones. Camera and computer manufacturers who've not taken this on board must be worried at the moment. As for Jessops, well maybe they should have seen it coming and diversified.....easy to say with hindsight I guess.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.