Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Radio 5 Reporting Jessops Going Into Administration.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

clairewilliams
10 Jan 2013 - 10:03 PM

Quote:

Jessops have a very effective "Click & Mortar" system which I used a lot (hope the past tense isn't a prediction of thigs to come Sad )

On-line prices were pretty good too (sometime better than WEX for instance) and I have been able to pick up and pay for a lot of kit from my local Jessops at the reduced on-lin price, often within a couple of hours and at worst usually within a couple of weeks.

The great thing was that it was possible to order a new item on-line, then check it out in-store before parting with my money.

Yes I have used this a few times now, and have been able to pick up things cheaply and quickly in my lunch break. The first time I was shopping in Jessops for a camera bag (I'm fairly new to photography) I didn't know about this service when I said to the staff I want this bag but it's too expensive I can only afford the smaller model, he placed an on-line order for me in store so I could get a better price (same as that of the smaller bag instore) but sold it to me there and then rather me having to go back and collect it later. He also gave me the names of bunch of good websites for beginners. Last time i was in there the manger offered to clean my camera/lens for me (free of charge)if I brought it it in because I'd mentioned I didn't know how. Online places like wex have good prices but I like to see and touch things before I depart with my cash.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jan 2013 - 10:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SimonThackeray
10 Jan 2013 - 10:28 PM

Like a lot I think the writing has been on the wall for a long time. Jessops went from a traditional relationship based business (even though it was nationwide) to a faceless box shifter that then had the wrong boxes to shift (or not enough of them).

I was one of the Saturday Lads who was lucky enough to work alongside Pete in the 80's at the Sheffield store. The vast majority on my wages each week went back into the till on photographic kit, particularly OM stuff which was thick on the ground in those days.

All of us (even the Saturday lads) had a good knowledge of the products, and because we weren't sales people spent time showing customers products which we could properly demonstrate. Have some great memories of the times spent there, and could tell a few tales..... Smile (I also worked in Jacobs for 6 months - Hated it, but thats both of them gone to the wall, is it me???)

In my opinion, those businesses that have invested in the relationship with the client are the ones that will survive. I bought my 5dII outfit from Harrisons in Sheffield, Jacobs and Jessops had what I wanted, and slightly cheaper, and WEX were cheaper still online. But there is still something about the satisfaction of physically having the transaction in a shop where you have been advised, looked after, and treated like you would treat some one yourself that makes it a pleasure to make the purchase. Tis is what a lot of these businesses are missing, and unfortunately there will be more in the future that go to the wall in the same way.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 11:07 PM

Quote: I bought a camera from Jessops an month or so ago. What happens if it goes wrong?

As Keith says it's covered by the manufacturer's guarantee you will just have to make your own arrangements to send it back if something went wrong as the dealer would normally take care of that aspect. Interestingly I read through my facebook contacts a post from Camera World that was from their twitter feed that said

Quote: Cameraworld will help any #Jessops customers with faulty cameras under manufacturers warranty (if we can) #supportthehighstreet.

They're London based so not much good for someone up north, but that's a very kind gesture...and hopefully it will encourage some Jessops customers to migrate over to CW for future purchases.

paulcookphotography

I think thats a great thing Pete.

Although Jessops arent the company/store they used to be, a lot of photographers, ex-photography students and keen enthusiasts worked for them and really feel for those with a very uncertain future.

I can totally understand that some would go to jessops to try out a camera and buy it elsewhere (mainly because it was cheaper), but that doesnt support a business or keep stores open. I saw that starting shortly before i moved on to another job as almost every day we would get folk in with print outs of a deal on pixmania asking if we could price match them (which at that time we couldnt). They would still take any advice or knowledge we could offer them though as we really just wanted to help folk. In a way i think thats part of the reason i, and a few friends, decided to move on. Changes were coming within the company, and the attitude/behaviour of (some) customers was changing too

gobby
gobby  1055 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 - 1:30 AM

I'm more unhappy that my LCE has had to close, excellent service, good value and personal treatment by knowledgable staff; unlike my local Jessops.

keith selmes
11 Jan 2013 - 8:21 AM

If my local LCE went, that would be sad.

PaulStephen
11 Jan 2013 - 11:05 AM

Sorry for the staff but no big loss as most photographers I know wouldn't touch the place with a barge pole. As expressed in other posts, it moved from being a place for photographers with expert staff, fully stocked with a wide range of equipment (including second hand gear and darkroom kit) to a clone of Currys/Dixons/Comet etc... it lost its unique selling point. If you are going to do that then you need to compete on price which it failed to do. On the few occsasions I've been in lately I was struck by the utter nonsense that the staff were spouting to customers to try to get them to buy something.

Keith-Mckevitt
11 Jan 2013 - 11:22 AM

I always USED to deal with Jessops but it got to the point where most things you asked for had to be ordered. Also certain staff members seemed to sing from a different song sheet to others with no uniform proceedures. On top of this if you wanted anything for a decent price you had to get it price matched...surely in the present climate it would have been more beneficial to be a bit more competitive pricewise instead of selling at what appeared to be the highest prices people would pay. I personally thought they would be heading for trouble a long time ago. Oh yes...and one last thing. I did hear a salesman once advising an old man about an SLR and his info was totally incorrect.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 4:45 PM

BBC are reporting that ALL Jessops will close (for good) today

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012523 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 4:49 PM

just read that, so sad for all those people losing their jobs. This will not end here, consumers will lose out in the long run.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96214 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 4:53 PM

All Stores To Close

User_Removed
11 Jan 2013 - 4:56 PM

Quote: BBC are reporting that ALL Jessops will close (for good) today

That can be read two ways. Are you saying all stores will close for good today or are you saying it was reported today that all stores will close (in the future)?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110165 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 4:58 PM

What a shame. I read an article today that suggested the Bank had an offer on the business that would have repaid the loan in full but that the bank thought there was more money to be made from the sale of the equity following the closure of the business, so declined to sell.

Don't know if its true but it has a familiar ring to it

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012523 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 4:58 PM

They are closing all the stores, today. Suppliers have pulled out.

mikehit
mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 5:00 PM

Quote: Administrator PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), appointed this week, said all 187 stores in the UK would shut at the end of trading on Friday.

Well they can't have said it at the end of business today, so the asumption is that they will close EOB today.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.