Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Radio 5 Reporting Jessops Going Into Administration.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 5:05PM
http://news.sky.com/story/1036884/jessops-close-all-stores-1370-jobs-to-go
"It is apparent that we cannot continue to trade and as a result we have had to make the difficult decision to begin the closure of all 187 Jessops stores at the close of business today.

"Regrettably, this will result in around 1370 job losses across the stores with further job losses likely, in due course, at the head office in Leicester.

"The stock will be collected over the coming days and returned to a central warehouse. It will be returned to suppliers if they are entitled to it.

"We are very grateful for the support we have received since our appointment and we will continue to ensure that employees are paid as they assist us during the closure."

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 5:07PM
Disappointing that there won't be any closing down sales with genuine bargains, as was the case with Comet.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
11 Jan 2013 5:14PM
Chris, the stock should show up somewhere on sale. They'll more than likely have a bankruptcy sale, and the buyers will be selling what they get, maybe.Tongue
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 5:17PM
If it's all going back to the central warehouse, I would think that after anything has gone back to manufacturers, they may have an online sale.
I have to say, I've not been impressed with them or bought anything from them for years, I preferred Jacobs in Leicester & got all my gear from them as they knew you when you went in & would even search out internet prices to check the deals for you, they also held a good stock of equipment. I do however really feel for the staff losing their jobs just after Christmas, it will not be an easy time for them.
Yep, Jessops has gone. As a former employee or Jessops (and of Jacobs as well) I would like to thank people for their support.
Hugo 9 647 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 5:28PM

Quote:BBC are reporting that ALL Jessops will close (for good) today

That can be read two ways. Are you saying all stores will close for good today or are you saying it was reported today that all stores will close (in the future)?

I think they've already closed...went past my local on the way to supermarket, it was already shut late this afternoon.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 5:28PM
Website is now off, replaced with holding page. http://www.jessops.com/

With effect from 11 January 2013, Jessops online and retail stores have ceased trading.

The notice below sets out important information for customers.
cathal 10 492 4 Ireland
11 Jan 2013 5:29PM
There may be nothing to sell, as if suppliers haven't been paid, then they will just take their stock back!

There may be loads of Jessops own-brand accessories and stuff like that... but don't expect to find an Olympus OM-D EM5 or Nikon D800 at a bargain price any time soon. Pity.
peteste 5 1
11 Jan 2013 5:31PM
That was extremely fast - the closure almost makes your head spin. If there is a silver lining to any of this, I imagine that it will make the future of the remaining less generic camera stores more secure.

It's probably very worrying for the manufacturers though, because their products no longer have a place on the high st. in the vast majority of towns
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 5:54PM
Has this link been shared on here before:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/01/weathering-the-jessops-administration/

Interesting comments from a (now former) Jessops employee
Hugo 9 647 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 5:55PM
Was written yesterday(?) From reading that, clearly the staff had no idea it was going to end so soon.
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 6:35PM
Shocking that it has happened so fast - The fact the business has collapsed so quickly after the administrators were called in really highlights bad management.

Hardly a surprise there, the company has been crippled by bad management for years, and now they have succeeded in killing their own company. So sorry for the shop staff - silly prices, bad stock choices, aggressive sales tactics (and occasional bad recruiting decisions) were NOT their fault.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
11 Jan 2013 6:37PM
I read somewhere that several major manufacturers had "supported" Jessops in their time of trouble. This probably meant extended credit andI imagine there would be a "retention of title" clause in the terms of business. So Jessops wouldn't be entitled to sell the kit at all, let alone at a knock-down price.
canonfan46 5 1.1k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 7:42PM
If a discussion about the future of Jessops had taken place a year or two ago, what do you think the consensus would have been?
steve_p 9 1.1k England
11 Jan 2013 7:50PM
The vast majority of contributors to the forums on this site loved to pile the sh*t on Jessops. In some cases it was justified but in the main IMHO I don't think it was.
Who are they going to badmouth now?
There were some good people working in the stores, certainly in my locality. The staff were put in fear of their jobs if they didn't sell extended warranties or accessories. I was happy to sell a customer an upgraded SLR for a few hundred pounds. They didn't need, or want, memory cards, screen protectors or other things. There was little profit in a "hardware" sale. You may as well have not bothered!
I was a customer for many years and a part timer on a Saturday for more than two years, which I really did enjoy.
I think the negative comments should stop. Yet again people are out of work and my sympathy is with them. In these times retail is pretty well doomed. Some people have only worked in retail. I just hope they can find something work wise.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.