Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Railway upgrades

tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 11:07AM
I wonder if part of the announcements , will include a new road bridge over the East Coast mainline at Tallington

The crossing on the A16, is currently closed for road traffic for approx 40/45 minutes in every hour.

I had cause to use it on a daily basis during 2010 and 2011 and the delays were horrendous

I am sure the good folks of Tallington and the Road Users Association will be lobbying for something to be done.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.7k
16 Jul 2012 1:07PM
I suspect it will come down to whether "our people" are likely to find the new link useful.

The online Independent carried a piece about the Olympic brand police who are set to enforce brand protection laws brought in especially for the sponsors of the London Olympics. It's not just the bankers that seem to get special treatment from our government!
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 1:14PM
Why is it that people cannot look at announcements like this in a positive manner.
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 1:24PM

Quote:The online Independent carried a piece about the Olympic brand police who are set to enforce brand protection laws brought in especially for the sponsors of the London Olympics.

Well if you pay for these things via sponsorship, you have to protect the sponsors investment. Your not going to millions from coke a cola if Pepsi can get the same publicity by planting people in the crowd/outside the venues.

Quote:Why is it that people cannot look at announcements like this in a positive manner.

It's the British disease, I blaim the press myself.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
16 Jul 2012 1:27PM
Because Britain has become a nation of miserable moaning pessimists Grin
WhiteRose1 e2
4 1.1k 136 England
16 Jul 2012 1:35PM
I blame the weather!
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
16 Jul 2012 1:42PM

Quote:Why is it that people cannot look at announcements like this in a positive manner.

Because for every good thing in an announcement, there are 10 bad ones hidden behind it....Smile
jondf 8 2.5k
16 Jul 2012 3:46PM

Quote:Because for every good thing in an announcement, there are 10 bad ones hidden behind it....

Another thing is that too many folk and organisations can't open their mouths without -

a) hyping everything they say
b) trying to sell you something

Straightforward, simple questions illicit over-the-top responses -

e.g.

"Turned out nice again?"
"Oh my God, yes.....absolutely!"

or

"Looks like the rain's set in again?"
"Oh my God! Struth! It's amazing! All this water! Where the hell's it all coming from? I'm utterly and completely appalled by it.....absolutely!"
Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 5:00PM
I'd like a train that actually went somewhere. Some people should be thankful they actually have a train service!

London is 100 miles from me, it takes 2 trains and 2 hrs to get there.

Harwich is 5 miles from me (as the crow flies) and takes 3 trains and 2 hrs to get there.

All it would take is a small bridge across the River Stour.

Pah!
thewilliam 6 4.7k
16 Jul 2012 5:21PM

Ambrose Bierce defined a cynic as a person who sees things as they are rather than as they ought to be.

Sometimes I think our government is up for sale to the highest bidder.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 5:23PM

Quote:All it would take is a small bridge across the River Stour.

But that means they could get out!
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 7:17PM
If it promotes growth in the regions, makes for easier and faster rail travel then its a good thing. Will it bring down the cost? I doubt it.

I had heard that the main intention was to get more freight travelling on the railways and off the roads, so not a good thing for those living near railines.
tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 9:44PM

I wasn't looking at it in a negative manner at all. Actually I believe it is 10/20 years overdue, plus hopefully, a good proportion of the work will go to one of our parent company's Op Co's

I was merely pointing out, that there are other logistics to be considered. I am sure anyone on here, who lives in the Stamford/Deeping/Bourne areas will agree with meSmile
mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 10:39PM

Quote:Sometimes I think our government is up for sale to the highest bidder.

No William, that's just totally unfair, and completely wrong. How could you possibly think that after all they have done for us....

'highest' bidder indeed!
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
16 Jul 2012 11:18PM

Quote:Sometimes I think our government is up for sale to the highest bidder.

No William, that's just totally unfair, and completely wrong. How could you possibly think that after all they have done for us....

'highest' bidder indeed!

G4S? they could provide guards on trains (recruited from all the soldiers who are being made redundant!!!)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.