Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Railway upgrades

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2012 - 8:43 AM

Quote: Why is it that people cannot look at announcements like this in a positive manner.

Because that would be "Un-British",

- if you win you must have cheated or been on drugs

- if you are intelligent you are a nerd

- if you do well at school you are a swot

- successful in business you must be a crook

and so on.

Makes me despair sometimes, particularly when the "Mejia" seems so intent on pandering to this atttude to life

(I saw something this morning that stated greater than 50% of the population of the UK think the country unprepared for the Olympics - how would they possibly know? All they have to judge it by is the negative garbage doled out by the press. They don't "Think", they simply regurgitate the output of the popular press )

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jul 2012 - 8:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2012 - 8:59 AM

Quote: I saw something this morning that stated greater than 50% of the population of the UK think the country unprepared for the Olympics - how would they possibly know? All they have to judge it by is the negative garbage doled out by the press. They don't "Think", they simply regurgitate the output of the popular press

I make you right Brian.

keith selmes
17 Jul 2012 - 9:09 AM

I don't think I'm prepared for the Olympics.
But it doen't look too bad - having checked the schedule it seems to only run for about 2.5 weeks (so what's all the fuss about ?) and then the TV will get back to normal. If the weather clears up I might not even notice.

Railcam
Railcam  8480 forum posts Scotland
17 Jul 2012 - 10:00 AM

Quote: I had heard that the main intention was to get more freight travelling on the railways and off the roads, so not a good thing for those living near railines.

A very "out of date" comment. I have a railway at the back of my house and with the long welded rail, quiet bogies on the rolling stock and well silenced diesel locomotives I do not hear the trains at all.

Steam engines, loose coupled wagons and jointed track went years ago, along with the BR sandwich.

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2012 - 10:14 AM

I have a freight line running near my house and I only hear them when they brake .

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
17 Jul 2012 - 11:58 AM

Whatever they do to update the railways, I couldn't afford the morgage for a ticket anyway Smile.

keith selmes
17 Jul 2012 - 2:11 PM

Quote: Steam engines, loose coupled wagons and jointed track went years ago

We still have them come through occasionally and although I don't live that near the track, I still hear the chuff chuff noise and see the smoke pouring back through the valley. I do sometimes wonder what it would be like if all the trains were steam again. Could be they are making smoke because they are starting out of town and heading for an uphill gradient.

Railcam
17 Jul 2012 - 3:56 PM

I assume you live near to a Heritage (preserved) railway.

I was responding to the comment about the Government's announcement about trying to get more freight on to the national rail network. In that context I stand by my comment.

keith selmes
17 Jul 2012 - 5:38 PM

They run steam trains on main lines once in a while. I think there was one through in april and one due next week.
Diesels are going up and down all the time and you don't notice them.
The difference is quite remarkable.

thewilliam
17 Jul 2012 - 6:29 PM

Quote: I saw something this morning that stated greater than 50% of the population of the UK think the country unprepared for the Olympics - how would they possibly know? All they have to judge it by is the negative garbage doled out by the press. They don't "Think", they simply regurgitate the output of the popular press

This will be the half that takes the red-top gutter press and believes what they read.

In the 1970s, the comedian Mike Yarwood did an impression of the then Prime Minister and started "Jack Jones (TUC leader) asked me to form a new government ....."

After the next election, Rory Bremner will probably start with, "Rupert Murdoch asked me to form a new government ..........."

Railcam
17 Jul 2012 - 7:47 PM

Quote: They run steam trains on main lines once in a while. I think there was one through in april and one due next week.

Those are private, passenger charters and nothing to do with the Government Announcement and the aim of getting more freight on the main lines.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95933 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 9:21 PM

Slightly different, but I believe ASLEF are planning strikes to coincide with the commencement of the Olympics
I might add, something (the Olympics that is), which will only attract 2% of my interest
ASLEF, what are they all about?

The association of steam locomotive engineers and footplate men

- come into the 21st century guysSmile & stop ruining something, that quite a lot of folks want to be part of

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.