Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rainsleeves

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Tallmanirl
    25 Aug 2014 - 2:27 PM

Hi guys!
    I have a Canon 5D, 70-200m L and 17-40 L lenses. I want to photograph waves but unfortunately the wind is usually accompanied by the rain! I was wondering what would be the best rain sleeves? Could I get one (or two) that allows me to take photos safely when there are just a few drops coming?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Aug 2014 - 2:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock
    25 Aug 2014 - 2:44 PM

Quote: Hi guys!
    I have a Canon 5D, 70-200m L and 17-40 L lenses. I want to photograph waves but unfortunately the wind is usually accompanied by the rain! I was wondering what would be the best rain sleeves? Could I get one (or two) that allows me to take photos safely when there are just a few drops coming?

Op/tech should do the job nicely, especially at the price.
    The link I've supplied is the ePz shop one. Although the page says "Fulfilled by A m a z o n and Sold by Carmarthen Cameras" I would hope that ePz will still get a cut should you buy from there.

Last Modified By chris.maddock at 25 Aug 2014 - 2:45 PM
    MikeA
    MikeA  91174 forum posts England
    25 Aug 2014 - 2:49 PM

For occasional use a cheap alternative is the tried and trusted plastic carrier bag and elastic band or two.

Last Modified By MikeA at 25 Aug 2014 - 2:49 PM
    Tallmanirl
    25 Aug 2014 - 3:41 PM

Thanks guys!
    I had thought of the plastic bag. I might give that a try too! Re the OpTech, given that the lenses are different sizes, would I require 2 sleeves or do one size fit all?

chris.maddock
    25 Aug 2014 - 4:15 PM

Quote: Re the OpTech, given that the lenses are different sizes, would I require 2 sleeves or do one size fit all?

Just one size - it has a drawstring to close onto lenses up to 7" diameter. Sounds rather big to me, but that's what the info page says.

Hehe, I've just looked further down the page and, according to the product details, it uses a lithium polymer battery - yeah, right Wink

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91033 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2014 - 7:27 PM

The Optech sleeves are very good value and do the job perfectly.

Tallmanirl
    25 Aug 2014 - 7:44 PM

Thanks guys!
    Was looking at that! How well does it work on a tripod with a release cable attached? Can that be done with it?

pink
    pink  111593 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2014 - 8:07 AM

Quote:

As long as your cable release is long enough, I trail mine out the bottom of the rain cover, no problem. If you use a lens hood as well then you can keep the majority of spots off you front element as well. Dont forget to take off your eyepiece and refit it over the hole in the bag, this stops the bag flapping about
    Enjoy!

Tallmanirl
    26 Aug 2014 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Pink!
    Is there a hole in the bottom for having the camera attached to the tripod?

pink
    pink  111593 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2014 - 1:13 PM

Yes there is, 2 holes (well 3 if you count the viewfinder one) one for your lens and one for tripod entry. thats why they call them 'Rainsleeves', they are 'L' shaped plastic bags (albeit quite heavy duty) with a drawstring and toggle for the lens end and open at the other end.
    Mine tend to last 5 or 6 times so really good value for money

Tallmanirl
    26 Aug 2014 - 4:19 PM

Thanks again Pink!

AndS
    AndS e2 Member 2855 forum postsAndS vcard England
    26 Aug 2014 - 4:26 PM

I bought one of THESE when I still had my Nikon plus 150-500 lens, worked well, allows you to fit to tripod, plenty of room inside to adjust camera while still being covered, they do quite a few styles including make to order, delivery was quick and good quality, tempted to get one made for the E-M10

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.