Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rangefinder advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Stickleman
    18 Apr 2013 - 7:53 PM

Hi,I'm thinking of buying a rangefinder camera for street and urban photography mainly due to weight and noise considerations.The last time I used such a camera was in the 80's when I owned an Olympus XA, problem is my eyesight has deteriorated in the intervening years such that I now use +2 dioptre reading glasses.Would this affect how I see the two images in the viewfinder when focussing (without glasses) and can I achieve correct focus without my glasses.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Apr 2013 - 7:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 8:05 PM

Do you want digital or film, and how much do you want to spend? Basically, the more you want to spend (generally) the better viewfinder you get. You can also get dioptre lenses that screw into the eyepiece, so they'd be permanently there for when you looked through it.

Very few will have a built in dioptric adjustment.

With a decent viewfinder and a corrective lens attached, you shouldn't have much problem seeing a coincident rangefinder.

Nick

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 8:16 PM

Guessing you will be looking at digital, not film, have a look at the Fuji`s. X-pro 1, XE-1, X100s or older x100(fixed lens)

Or there Compacts, x20 and older x10.

The new compact system camera`s are good as well, no flapping mirror, Micro Four Thirds are the best here with plenty of system backup.

Most will have built in dioptre adjustment.

Stickleman
    18 Apr 2013 - 8:21 PM

Hi Nick,to start with I just wanted something cheap maybe around the 100 mark for a fixed lens film rangefinder to see how it goes. I've been tentatively looking on ebay at Yashicas,Olympus etc but I wanted to know about this issue before I go a stage further. I'm guessing the cameras that can take correction lenses (Leicas I suppose) are above my budget at the minute.

Stickleman
    18 Apr 2013 - 8:26 PM

Hi Paul, no it's an old film camera I'm looking for.Starting to use film a lot more nowadays mainly with a Pentax MX, and I can use the split image portion of the focussing screen OK with that, was wondering if that's also true with a true rangefinder camera.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 8:37 PM

No they don`t use split prisms.

Loads to choose between

Looking at one brand alone there are many, Olympus RC,DC,RD,EC, 35RC, 35SP,35LC, etc.

Stickleman
    18 Apr 2013 - 8:41 PM

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 9:35 PM

Most rangefinders that have a circular eyepiece will accept a screw in dioptre adjustment - you might have to look for suitable models. I believe the Olympus ones have a square eyepiece.

Voigtlander Bessas might be worth a look, but might cost a little more with a lens.

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    19 Apr 2013 - 9:35 AM

Your own eyesight should not affect your ability to use the rangefinder in any way.

randomrubble
    19 Apr 2013 - 9:53 AM

Playing devils advocate for a minute, for about 100, why not get a Pentax SMC-M 40/2.8 pancake for the MX? Given the snall size and relatively unobtrusive shutter sound I'm not entirely convinced that a film rangefinder (best of breed are Olympus SP/RD/DC, Canonet G-III, Yashica Electro or Ricoh 500G) camera is going to be that much better for street use. They tend to have lenses in the 40 range and while they might be a stop faster but you'll probably want to stop down a bit for DOF most of the time.

PS, I have an Oly XA, 35DC & 35RD and they are all nice but I tend to prefer my Contax 159 and 45/2.8 Tessar.

Last Modified By randomrubble at 19 Apr 2013 - 9:58 AM
    Stickleman
    19 Apr 2013 - 4:26 PM

Thanks for the input folks,as for the 40mm pancake, that could be an avenue worth exploring,don't know why I didn't think of it.The good news though is I've seen a private local ad for a Yashica,so I intend to go and take a look at it and see for myself if there are any issues involved.Thanks again.

Paul Morgan
    19 Apr 2013 - 4:45 PM

I still use an Olympus 35SP, and I recently paired this with a Panasonic GF2 with the 14mm (28mm equ)

28mm has now become the norm when it was once between 35-40mm

http://www.londonstreetphoto.org/street-photo-gear/

Gf2`s with the 14mm can now be picked up fairly cheaply I paid just 169 for body and lens new.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.