Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Rangefinders

Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 11:04PM
Was having a scout around online earlier....Zorki 4 plus 50mm lenses go for anything between 5 and 50. Olympus Trips are less than 30 and 35EC and 35SPs vary wildly up to a couple of hundred, as they are strangely sought after. Most other makes are under 50 and can be had cheap as chips.
Personally, I'd look around charity shops and car boot fairs first, but make sure the shutter and aperture work ok, and the light seals aren't sticky and beginning to deteriorate. Battery compartments are another place to check, and some use mercury batteries that are harder to replace (but not mpossible, by any means).

If testing Olympus cameras, they can meter from the film plane, and won't work unless you put a bit of paper in the film gate, so don't discount it straight away if it doesn't seem to be working.

Whatever you choose to do, it can become a bug that causes you to accumulate cameras, each one having it's own quirks and foibles. Good luck!

Nick

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
27 Feb 2013 12:12AM

Quote:Personally, I'd look around charity shops and car boot fairs first, but make sure the shutter and aperture work ok, and the light seals aren't sticky and beginning to deteriorate

Its almost always the case, unless you find something that has replaced seals, but there dead easy to renew yourself.

You can buy kits or do what I did with an old Ricoh, double sided tape and a little felt Smile

Quote:and some use mercury batteries that are harder to replace (but not mpossible, by any means

A lot of these use the comonly available wein cells, or brass battery adapters that will hold smaller batteries.

Quote:If testing Olympus cameras, they can meter from the film plane

Only with the OM series SLR`s.
pcheywood 9 1.3k England
27 Feb 2013 6:06AM
If you fancy small, smart, sharp, and pocketable have a look at the Olympus XA (not XA 1/2/3).
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 11:35AM

Quote:Only with the OM series SLR`s.

And the Trips, and the 35 series, which lock if the meter decides the exposure is out of limits. The white paper can fool it into thinking the meter reading is fine.
Nick_Hilton 9 556 2 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 1:35PM
Thanks for all the advice
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Feb 2013 4:37PM

Quote:And the Trips, and the 35 series, which lock if the meter decides the exposure is out of limits. The white paper can fool it into thinking the meter reading is fine

No nothing in the trip or 35 I can assure you Smile

Neither meter through the lens, the 35`s have a meter totally separate from the lens, the trips have a meter on the outside of the lens.
Nick_Hilton 9 556 2 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 4:40PM
Paul - is there nothing about photography you don't know. Your just a brain on legs almost Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Feb 2013 4:58PM
I repair and recondition old camera`s from time to time Smile
Niknut e2
4 737 64 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 7:37PM
Nick.....if you're still looking for a 35mm rangefinder......I've just seen in my local newspaper, a Ricoh 500 ME, with case & flash
being advertised for 7 !!!!!!!! .......I repeat SEVEN POUNDS !!.......tel. 01785 613405........Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.