Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rannoch Stags

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Richardtyrrelllandscapes

I was out yesterday bagging another Munro with TrekPete. As we returned from our day out we stopped to capture a few images of the mountains around the carpark where the burger van usually parks.

Four stags appeared heading towards the carpark so I took great pleasure in capturing a few shots of them.
    They did seem to be a little wary of all the attention they were getting from the crowd that had now gathered for some pictures.

I only hope now that these stags don't put as much trust into the humans as the lst one, because it would be sure to suffer the same fate.

Richie.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Feb 2009 - 2:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jeanie
    jeanie e2 Member 105968 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2009 - 5:38 PM

The best policy would be for folk not to feed them, but despite the signs, they will...

GreyMoonRising

Yes they would have been heading down from the hills in search of food anywhere they can find it.

They really are eating themselves out of house and home due to over-population, overgrazing and lack of natural predators like Wolves to keep them in check.

SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2009 - 9:00 PM

Plus they do come down when the weather is colder, and food is naturally more scarce higher up the mountains in the colder months. They need higher quality food too, needing to put on body fat after the breeding season when they eat less.

Not that burgers are the food of choice .. and I'm sure there wasn't a problem with humans before fast food began appearing in little vans or huts in mountain areas.

Snapper
    Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2009 - 9:45 PM

Some estates will feed the deer in snow because the hinds are pregnant, and they will all get to recognise the type of vehicle that brings the food. It can only be a short hop of the imagination for them to think that all of these tin things with wheels might be bringing food of some kind, hence the carpark becomes the place to be.

Richardtyrrelllandscapes

I'm not against the deer kill, and I'm aware that these highland estates need the income from deer stalking to continue the conservation work that is done every day.
    If the deer are being killed then it has to be done professionaly and with the right calibre rifle to make it a humane kill.
    Snapper you are right about the car / food thing and that is one of the reasons that the last incident happened.

It is nice to see the deer there and its good to capture a shot or two of them so I hope they don't get too friendly with the tourists this time.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.