Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Raw .NEF files and lightroom 2

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    FatBoyfocus
    3 Aug 2012 - 1:44 PM

Hi

I recently went from Canon to Nikon to find that my PS 7 won't open the raw files.Tongue
    I just got lightroom 2 at a bargain and I still can't import the RAW files (.NEF)

Can someone advice please how to import a NEF file to Lightroom 2

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Aug 2012 - 1:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saxon_image
    3 Aug 2012 - 1:55 PM

You will need to download and install the latest version of Adobe RAW (currently 7.1) from here.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96306 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Aug 2012 - 4:19 PM

Lightroom 2 is quite an old version, it is now at v 4.1 so depending on what model your Nikon is it may be the case that it is not supported in Lightroom 2.

sausage
    sausage  10242 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Aug 2012 - 5:26 PM

Adobe have a policy of not supporting older versions of their software. If it won't display the NEF file you may need to buy version 4.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73879 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Aug 2012 - 5:34 PM

What camera do you have?R2 used to open D700 NEF files. However if you have something like a D800 chances are you will need lightroom 4 (which is much better btw)

thewilliam
    3 Aug 2012 - 9:04 PM

Adobe do indeed support Lightroom 2 for newer cameras because it's only a few months since I had to load up a version that would handle D3X files.

I only use Lightroom for weeding portrait shoots and making colour TIFFs so there's little point updating to version 4. Mono TIFFs are better made in Capture NX2.

Google and you'll find it. Sorry I can't remember where it was. Each Nikon seems to have its own unique flavour of .NEF file.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 3 Aug 2012 - 9:05 PM
    redhed17
    redhed17  8658 forum posts England
    4 Aug 2012 - 6:16 PM

As has been said, each model of Nikon camera has its own RAW format, just like every other individual model from other manufacturers.

It depends on what camera you have, and what version on Adobe's software you have whether you can update the software to read the RAW files.

When new cameras are released Adobe need to update their software, both Adobe Camera Raw (included in Photoshop) and LightRoom, to be able to read the new RAW file format from the camera. They do this throughout the life of the software with periodic updates, however, once there is a new version of their software as it has recenetly with Photoshop CS6 and LightRoom 4, then they don't support the new cameras with the old software.

You can check here which cameras and which versions of their software are compatible. If you find you can't update the software to the version you need, and you don't wish to purchase a version which will work with your camera, then you always have the option to convert all of your RAW files to DNG files, using Adobe's DNG converter software, which should allow your files to be read by any version of the Adobe software.

While older versions of their software will be able to read converted RAW files when they are DNG files, you may miss more advanced features that Adobe have implemented in their software. I think in ACR v6 Adobe implemented are very good Noise Reduction section, compared to what had been there before. And indeed, the latest versions of ACR with CS6 and LR4 have changed the way their RAW processing works, and how the editing options are presented to the user.

LightRoom 4 has been released at a cheaper price that previous versions, and can be had for less than 90. Smile It will be constantly updated to work with new cameras until LR5 is released, which may be 2-3 years, and by comparison to CS6, is a cheaper way to get the best RAW processing software atm.

And just for completeness, there is a version ACR that comes with Photoshop Elements, but it misses some features of the ACR with CS6 (not sure exactly what features). It is a more cost effective way to get a RAW converter, plus a pixel editor, and Elements 10 (the latest version) can be had for less than 50. Elements normally updates every year or so, and once Elements 11 is released, the ACR in Elements 10 may not be updated for new camera RAW files from that point as is their policy.

If you are not planning on buying a new camera though, then you don't need to take into consideration how often the software is updated, as long as it works with what you have when you get it. Wink

FatBoyfocus
    24 Dec 2012 - 5:34 AM

Thx I managed Smile

User_Removed
    24 Dec 2012 - 10:27 AM

Assuming your (bargain) version of Lightroom 2 is legal, then the upgrade to Lightroom 4 is very cheap and the improvements are enormous. (and I really do mean ENORMOUS).

FatBoyfocus
    25 Dec 2012 - 4:51 AM

Hi
    Lightroom 4 was eating my laptop resources big time...trial version.
    I got myself cs6 and very happy with it

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.