Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

RAW confused

Peter_West 3 148 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 3:56PM
Hello All. Only just got into photography last year, and took a beginners and advanced night school course which I really enjoyed, but thing is the tutor said keep your camera settings on RAW, well last weekend went on a full day with Canon Essentials Course, only told me to keep it on Jpeg, Confused or what, whatís best, ohh and I have Elements 10. Thanks Pete

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett 4 352 England
15 Jun 2012 4:17PM
RAW stores all the info from the sensor, but needs to be converted with software, with jpeg the camera does the conversion from RAW, most do a relly good job. The advantage of RAW capture is the total control of how the image will appear, raw conversion can be an art form of it's own right and there are many arguments; sorry debates about the various software/ program options. Hope this gives a little more info.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
15 Jun 2012 4:21PM

Quote:a full day with Canon Essentials Course, only told me to keep it on Jpeg

Very poor of them to make such a statement without qualifying it i.e. explaining the pro's & con's of the two specific formats.
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 4:33PM
Hi Pete,

You can also set your 600D to shoot simultaneously in Raw AND jpeg - that's what i do. Full size RAW + S2 jpeg.

But i never really use Jpeg apart from to quickly give to friends etc straight out of camera.
Raw is so much better if you want to take control of the processing afterwards and you have Elements 10 (same as me) which is great for individual file processing. I've had elements 6,8 & 10 over the years and am still learnign new things in it - with the files processed always from the RAW version of the shot i took.

Maybe the essentials course wanted you to only have small files afterwards as these would be faster/smaller copy to a PC.

JPEG is very good, and using this with the canon picture styles offered in camera is even better, BUT only RAW allows you to fully adjust the photo afterwards. So RAW gets my first vote.

Best Wishes
Stuart
Peter_West 3 148 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 5:08PM
Cheers all, hmmm Stuart I did have my camera on RAW and Jpeg S2, so it's now going back to that setting, she didn't really emphasize why just have it on Jpeg sadly, but still a great day and learned quite a lot, slowly getting to grips with Elements 10 Stuart, and I mean slowly, just need to get out more and try things suppose thatís the only way to learn, I am going to upload some shots soon on here, so hopefully get loads of feed back, the reason I went to the essentials day is I got a free voucher when I purchased camera, thanks again all. Pete
Locton 2 4 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 7:48PM
hi there i a m new to this site & fairly new to DSLR photography, but have been using photoshop for many many years now, the reason i mention P/S in reference to RAW or Jpg is how do you edit your photos, if you do use P/S or something similar every time you re-save a Jpg you will loose some quality, so therefore shoot RAW & save it in PSD format, not sure what the format should be if not in P/S other than Tiff.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
16 Jun 2012 11:40PM
I convert RAW to TIFF but PSD format will give you about half the file size, if storage is a factor for you.

From the TIFF/PSD you can resize, do further crops etc before you finally save it to JPEG... possibly several JPEGs with different crops etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.