Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Raw converter

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 8:00 PM

I bought the new Nikon D5200 for Christmas but have been very ill since and not had a chance to use it, seeing the snow was too much of a temptation and I stepped outside taking a few shots (nothing special but) using CS5 I cant view my raw files I didnt want to go back to JPG now and Camera Raw 7 is not compatible with CS5 - I can buy CS6 but didnt want the extra expense. Does anybody have any ideas how I may get round this please?
I did download an independant ACP converter but it comes with a virus warning and I prefer not to use it and have uninstalled the software now.
thanks Ann

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jan 2013 - 8:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
20 Jan 2013 - 8:11 PM

The problem lies in your current version of PS Ann - and in turn, it's version of Adobe Camera Raw that is loaded in the program.

Pop over to Adobe's website and download the latest version of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) - there should be the ability to check that your camera is supported in the latest version.

If it's not, then all is not lost - you can use Adobe's 'DNG' converter to convert your 3200's RAW files to Adobe's 'DNG' format and load them in CS5 in the normal way without losing anything.

On other matters... sorry to hear of your ill-health. I hope everything is either 'on the mend' or that you are fully recovered! x

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Jan 2013 - 8:13 PM
pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 8:27 PM

Not yet recovered Mike but thank you for your enquiry and answer to my dilemma - although my camera is shown as being supported, the camera raw 7 is not supported in CS5 which I have - seems I need to purchase the upgrade to CS6 but the conversion to DNG in Adobe that you suggest might be an option if I am clever enough to work it outSad been working on this all of yesterday morning and most of this afternoon and draw a blank everytimeSad

User_Removed
20 Jan 2013 - 8:34 PM

Just fire up the DNG Converter software Ann - load the files - point at where you want to save them (usual place I would suggest) - save them - open CS5 and Bridge, select the .dng image in Bridge and open in CS5 in the normal way. Job done Grin

pluckyfilly
20 Jan 2013 - 10:27 PM

Not quite sure what you mean Mike, sorry - I did download the raw convertor 7.3 exe but it just keeps telling me its not supported in CS5 I also updated photoshop from within the programme, I chatted with Adobe online today and they have given me what looks like a London number but somebody else has said you get diverted to the States (hope not) this is doing my head in! I downloaded quicktime as that came up when I was browsing and I thought it might have worked but it didntSad (do I google DNG) ?

capto
capto e2 Member 1588 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 10:43 PM

Adobe DNG converter 7.2 supports the D5200. I use it with CS5 for raw files from my Canon 650D.
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Wind...

Good luck
ivor

pluckyfilly
20 Jan 2013 - 11:02 PM

thanks Ivor I did download camera raw 7.3exe perhaps this is different I will give it a go and let you knowSmile

User_Removed
20 Jan 2013 - 11:06 PM

Adobe's refusal to provide updates for "old" software (e.g. no updates for CS5 once CS6 is released) is really diabolical.

However, the answer given above does get round the problem. Use DNG Converter to produce DNG files from your D5200 Raw images and then open those DNGs in CS5. Should work OK.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Jan 2013 - 11:07 PM
capto
capto e2 Member 1588 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2013 - 11:15 PM

Quote: Thanks Ivor I did download camera raw 7.3exe perhaps this is different I will give it a go and let you knowSmile

The camera raw 7.3 is only for CS6. The Adobe DNG converter is what you need.

ivor

pluckyfilly
21 Jan 2013 - 8:32 AM

Thanks Ivor
Ann

andart
andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jan 2013 - 9:35 AM

Have you tried View NX2 - it usually comes with the camera? you can download it free here.

includes a raw converter

pluckyfilly
21 Jan 2013 - 12:56 PM

I did do that but not used view Nex2 all looks very different to me than what I am used to, I will have another look, thanks for the link and suggestion
Ann

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4391 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 4:54 PM

Ann...I think Adobe DNG Converter is your best bet ??

It can be downloaded from the Adobe web-site, & it's ridiculously easy to use.

When I load images from a memory-card onto my computer, a window opens up to download them into Adobe PS, then
another window opens where you designate their destination, & if you want to convert to DNG, tick the relevant boxes
& it's all done automatically.......& the files open up in CS Bridge as DNG files.......

Another advantage is the file size is reduced by roughly 20% in the conversion, without any quality loss, so more images
on your HD.

I use DNG all the time, after shooting everything in the RAW mode, & opens up in Camera Raw from the Bridge Browser.

Hope that helps....try it, it's free, & a doddle to use....regards...Keith.Smile

PS....what's your opinion of the camera, & it's results ???.....the EPZ review results look stunning !!

Last Modified By Niknut at 21 Jan 2013 - 4:57 PM
LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
21 Jan 2013 - 5:17 PM

Quote: Have you tried View NX2?

I suggest any Nikon user should try this free software. It includes many basic adjustments including the ability to change several of the camera settings without losing file information.
If other software you use does not recognise the Nikon edits (a lot does not) you can save as a Tiff to avoid losing some file information when doing many basic edits.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
pluckyfilly
21 Jan 2013 - 5:20 PM

Thanks for that Keith, not so well today but tomorrow will definitely have look, the instruction you give is of great value to me as I was wondering how to go about the conversion once DNG downloaded being of the older generation I manage most things pretty well I think but this one issue had me completely foxed - your a star!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.