Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RAW converting

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Perry_95
    Perry_95  359 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2011 - 10:19 PM

Well, i am a beginer photographer and dont often shoot in RAW format, some reasons include:

-dont know what it really does
    -amount of room it takes up

but the main reason is the fact that i have to process them on my computer, which takes a long long time on my computer. If i try to process more than 6 at the same time then my computer crashes. What is the problem? is it my RAW processing software? or my computer? or just RAW.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Feb 2011 - 10:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2011 - 10:37 PM

Crashes are a symptom of something wrong in the SW, so what RAW converter do you use and what OS. Plus I guess we ought to ask how much RAM do you have.

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2011 - 11:05 PM

Hi Perry,
    Why do you want to process more than one at once.
    Surely each image is bespoke?

Adrian

Perry_95
    5 Feb 2011 - 11:06 PM

i use the RAW converter that came with my camera, PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4, i dont know what OS stands for i will guess operating system and i have Windows Vista, and i have 3GB of RAM.

ps, what is SW?

Perry_95
    5 Feb 2011 - 11:08 PM

Tomcat,

I adjust the settings of each picture and then want to process them all at once, but i have to go through them one by one (or 6 by 6) and this can become quite annoying because i cant just click process then leave the computer and come back, i have to keep selecting 6 images, click process, select file and name of images. And it becomes quite a drag.

User_Removed
    6 Feb 2011 - 12:26 PM

I use Lightroom which is not really a raw converter in the sense that it never changes your raw files. All it does (put simply) is store a set of instructions for each raw file which it stores in a catalogue and applies them to the file whenever you want to do more work on them.

Then, if you want to print a file, Lightroom prints it from the raw file as amended by the instructions for all your adjustments to give a print of your processed photo. Or, if you want to export the file, say as a jpeg to put on a website or send to a magazine, Lightroom again will produce your file for export from the original raw file with all the instructions implemented to produce the processed photo you created.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Feb 2011 - 12:27 PM
    User_Removed
    6 Feb 2011 - 12:31 PM

....to which I should add, if you do want to "batch process", then in Lightroom you can select as many raw files as you wish and apply the same adjustments to them all simultaneously. If you have a standard set of adjustments you find yourself using (say to correct for your specific camera and lens) and maybe to add saturation and sharpness, then you can save those settings as a user-preset and apply them to all your raw files with a single mouse click.

strawman
    6 Feb 2011 - 10:59 PM

SW is software, so I would suggest you look at the Pentax web site to see if there are updates for the software you are using. It sounds like the Pentax RAW processing software itself is having a problem.

As for the other comments in the thread, Lightroom is a RAW converter, they all work by taking the RAW input and creating another file as the processed output. And I too often batch process, for example my machine is processing 113 images in the background, some have adjustments, some straight from the file. there is nothing to say that you have to process them one at a time, and often its handy to make the RAW adjustments then go off make a cup of tea etc while the images are processed.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2011 - 1:05 PM

Quote: As for the other comments in the thread, Lightroom is a RAW converter

Some may well remember RawShooter which did what it says on the tin, for free.
    The aroma of money wafted past the nostrils of Adobe who made the necessary purchase then set about polishing it up, the result was Lightroom.
    Batch processing is one that made it shine.

Last Modified By KenTaylor at 7 Feb 2011 - 1:06 PM
    strawman
    7 Feb 2011 - 1:38 PM

Batch processing is common, DPP still does it for free, C1 has done it for years......

DuncanDisorderly

Ah... RawShooter - good memories Smile
    I got into RawShooter because of a blog by an Italian wedding photographer who claimed he could process 1000 wedding shots in 2 hours.
    Lightroom continues this tradition and has added in instant access to all 60000 images on my disk(s) plus keywording.

I usually expect to grade/tweak/keyword about 200 RAW landscape images an hour. This is good enough that I never need to do more work to any of the images unless I'm making an exhibition print.

With RawShooter (and Lightroom) it's actually quicker to process RAW files than JPEG as the RAW files have a low quality thumbnail built in, so there is no processing to be done just to get the thumbnail view up and running. The space advantage of JPEGs is not that great as my 5DII JPEGs are only about half the size of the same image in RAW and you lose so much data in the JPEG - it's not worth it!

One of the key things to realise is that you don't need to convert anything away from RAW unless you have a purpose. E.G. email, website, printing. Hence the only processing load that gets in the way of sorting out your images is the effort required to open the RAW and view at 100%.
    Lightroom works surprising quickly on medium spec computer kit (LR2 wasn't as good). A trip away last month I managed to fully process 2800 RAW images on a four year old laptop. When I got back I simply transferred everything onto my main system. Admittedly conversion away from RAW takes a while - but I only sent a few emails; so it was negligible!

Hence when using Lightroom you gain nothing by staying with JPEG - it's win-win all the way with LR3 and RAW.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2011 - 3:10 PM

Quote: Batch processing is common

Which is where Perry is having a problem from the software he has.
    Deleting it and reinstalling may fix the problem.

strawman
    7 Feb 2011 - 4:31 PM

Have a look at the pentax update site some of the updates to V4 are for stability so that could be your problem.

If you are fully up to date with the RAW software it may be advisable to look at your anti-virus Software settings. Some anti-virus software tries to check each file as it is being created, and processing RAW files can take a lot of the processing power so is it possible that when you process a number of files there is an interaction between the virus software and the RAW converter? You could take your PC off the net and turn the virus software off to see if the problem still exists.

But I would do the update to software before attempting to alter virus scanner software settings.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.