Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RAW editing advice please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

fleurie
fleurie  3 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2013 - 1:33 PM

I have just aquired a Fuji s5 and am anxious to try some RAW editing but am bemused by the various claims for different editors. I have already Photoshop elements 7 and could upgrade to v.10or11.
I also have installed Captureone v.6. Any advice as to the various benefits and ease of use of these or other software would be appreciated. I dont want anything complicated OR expensive. Thanks for any recommedations

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Mar 2013 - 1:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fleurie
2 Mar 2013 - 1:37 PM

Just a further comment - is Fuji's Hyper Utility any good ? Thanks

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 1:56 PM

Bearing in mind your wish for nothing complicated or expensive I would say FastStone is your best bet. It's free and easy to use - oh! and it's very good too. Smile

Jestertheclown

Another vote for 'FastStone.'
If you want to look at something a lot more dedicated, instal a free trial of 'Lightroom' but it is a bit more expensive and quite a bit more complicated.
Really, you probably can't go far wrong with 'CaptureOne,' which you've already got. You'll just need to learn how to use it. It actually does a very good job, once you've worked out what everything does. Personally, I'd consider using it instead of 'Lightroom' but I've yet to fathom out how it all works!
As for any version of 'Elements,' most people on here will tell you that it's all you'll ever need. I tried the trial version of 'Elements 10' and to me, it seemed lacking but then I'm used to various versions of CS, so perhaps I've been spoiled.
Hope this helps.
B.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 2 Mar 2013 - 3:52 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 4:26 PM

Quote: I also have installed Captureone v.6.

Next to Capture One 7 Pro, Version 6 Express is probably the best third part option around, If you have V6 I am surprised your still looking for something else, Unless you want something easier of course.

Afraid you will find any new software takes time to master, So it is worth taking the time to learn how to use them, The other main thing to consider is how much help there is around for a particular software, ie: Tutorials, Books etc.

Check Check out the sort of help thing you can find regarding, Lets say Phase Ones, Capture One offeringsSmile

Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 2 Mar 2013 - 4:27 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014481 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 5:58 PM

I'm still early in the learning process of Lightroom, which I tried a couple of times before now. I would highly recommend it, as do many people on here. Adobe has video tutorials on their site, and you can find almost everything else on youtube, or ask here.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 2 Mar 2013 - 5:59 PM
SosFM
SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 11:33 PM

Light room and elements, I have just uninstall ed Photoshop CS3 - it just wasn't getting used.

User_Removed
2 Mar 2013 - 11:37 PM

Take your most challenging raw file, eg one with strong reds and purples, mixed lighting, high iso and try it out in different programs - easy and free if you have trial versions.

MichaelMelb_AU

I owned a few Fujis. What I have found - the best RAW software for them is Fuji's stuff - whatever they provide on the disk that comes with the camera. Some other programs did well, but never could take all what Fuji had to offer. I tried Lightroom, ACDSee PRO, Corel Paint Shop PRO - none of them could beat free SilkyPix version in image quality department.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 2:27 AM

Quote: I owned a few Fujis. What I have found - the best RAW software for them is Fuji's stuff

I agree, but its not the most user friendly until you have really got to grips with it.

I`ve been told that Raw Therapy is pretty good, but I have never used that.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 2:33 AM

Forgot the link

Raw Therepy

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 6:51 AM

Quote: the best RAW software for them is Fuji's stuff - none of them could beat free SilkyPix version in image quality department.

It's Fuifilm's policy on this that drives me mad. They give you a (very) camera specific version that will only work with the model that was supplied with the software. I have an X-10 and an XE-1 yet Fujifilm make me use different versions of SilkyPix - just ludicrous. To make matters worse neither version will open the NEF files from my Nikon. Needless to say I binned SilkyPix about 30 seconds after I realised this.

But back to the OP who wants something cheap and simple. LR4 is wonderful and I would hate to be without it but it is neither cheap nor simple. FastStone is free and simple (and very good).

fleurie
3 Mar 2013 - 6:59 PM

Thanks everyone for comments. I think I will try and get to grips with CaptureOne failing this I'll try again with Elements 7

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2013 - 7:05 PM

You could do worse than this if using Captureone (a few years ol now but still applicable)

Keith knows the package inside out, I'm sure he wouldn't mind you contacting him if you had any problems

Paul Morgan
3 Mar 2013 - 10:18 PM

A lot of us got capture one in the xmas draw.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 3 Mar 2013 - 10:18 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.