Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RAW files

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lenocm
    lenocm e2 Member 1lenocm vcard United Kingdom
    28 May 2013 - 5:58 PM

I have uploaded several JPEG pics to the galleries but note that the exif data of some members' pics show that their pics were originally recorded as RAW files. Have these files had to be converted to JPEGs before uploading or what format is used when uploading to the galleries? Although my cameras support RAW and I can open them in Photoshop Elements, this is a new experience for me.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 May 2013 - 5:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7845 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2013 - 6:10 PM

I shoot in RAW, do basic processing in ACR, open in Photoshop, then using the 'Save for Web' option I save for uploading to t'internet. This turns it into a jpg. I usually click the RAW option because that was how it was originally shot. I don't think they fine you for clicking the 'wrong' optionSmileSmile

Steve_S
    Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2013 - 6:15 PM

All the images uploaded to the gallery are jpegs. Some started life as jpegs out of the camera but others were taken and stored as raw files. Think of the raw file as a digital negative. It contains all the data that the image was taken with. (Jpegs are compressed files and much of the raw data is discarded). You need to use software to convert the raw data to a useable image (tiff, jpeg, etc). Taking images as raw files gives you more control of the finished image (you can change the exposure, colour balance etc) but it means you have to spend more time in front of the pc 'developing' your image.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82308 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2013 - 6:21 PM

RAW is the native format your camera uses to record all the data from your sensor at the time of exposure, plus exif data regarding the image. Not all cameras have an option of RAW, but most, if not all DSLR's do. Don't be fooled into thinking a RAW file is the same between manufacturers - this isn't the case - an even a RAW format can change for the same manufacturer as time goes on. The most crucial things to know about RAW is that a) it's unprocessed data; b) this means you will need to process it in a suitable RAW editor before you can output it to print or web; and c) because it is the raw image data captured by your camera's sensor it offers you the greatest flexibility in terms of post processing. In short decisions as to sharpness, saturation, contrast etc are left to you and not your camera to set.

So back to your question: no files uploaded here are not in RAW format, but they may have been recorded originally using RAW and then processed by the photographer. The site offers photographers the option to specify the recording format (which if I recall correctly includes film).

Hope this helps,

Adam

Edit: and welcome to the site Wink

Last Modified By sherlob at 28 May 2013 - 6:22 PM
    lenocm
    lenocm e2 Member 1lenocm vcard United Kingdom
    28 May 2013 - 8:45 PM

Thanks for the various replies, that's very helpful and clears it up. Smile

Mike

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.