Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Raw files on camera. Please Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

sparklep
sparklep  7146 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2007 - 9:41 PM

Please help if you can. I cant get anything to download the raw files from my camera. I do have Adobe cs2 but I cant make anything happen.
Please please help Im going out of my mind.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 May 2007 - 9:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
14 May 2007 - 9:55 PM

Hi

I had the same problem - you can download RAW plugins from the Adobe site

You will have to search around to find the one you need and also to install it. I seem to remember having to delete the one installed and copy the new plugin into the folder. It's not an .exe

I hope this is right! I am sure someone here will know if it's not.

Andy

User_Removed
14 May 2007 - 9:56 PM

Great! I added a link for you but it didn't seem to work. Just Google "adobe raw plugin"

VolcanoCowboy
14 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

Try this. Your camera should also have come with some software to edit the raw files with.

Adam

blueistari
14 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

Can Photoshop actually be used to upload photos from the camera to the computer? Shouldn't a separate piece of software that comes with the camera be used? Just a thought as I'm not really sure myself!

User_Removed
14 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

That's a very good point, I don't think you can upload using PS! Sorry didn't spot that. I had problems with viewing RAW in PS. I also had problems with the Nikon software. When I was using a PC I used Picsa to get the images off the camera. But just plug the camera into a MAC now much easier. Sorry for the confusion.

VolcanoCowboy
14 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

To get the images from my memory cards to my PC's hard drive, I use windows explorer to copy the files across to a temp directory. I reformat the card, deleting the images, only after I have checked the integrity of the images. You could alternatively use special software, such as ImageIngester to do this (and much more).

Adam

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
15 May 2007 - 8:00 PM

Just do what I did - bin RAW altogether. I used to be a died in the wool advocate of RAW but 'converted' to JPEGS about 4 months ago after running some comparison tests. The difference between the processed RAW image and a straight-from-the-camera JPEG is non existent

Heresy or what!!

keithh
keithh  1022766 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
15 May 2007 - 8:08 PM

that's nothing more than your inability to make a better job than your camera.

annoying or what!!
Wink

ahollowa
ahollowa  101070 forum posts England
15 May 2007 - 8:10 PM

If you get the shot right everytime then there is not a lot of difference. Get the white balance or exposure out and raw allows so much more control. As the only limiting factor is memory card space (unless you are shooting a fast sequence when the buffer will fill quicker) I always shoot raw + large jpg. Best of both worlds.

cheers

Al.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
15 May 2007 - 8:12 PM

Quote: The difference between the processed RAW image and a straight-from-the-camera JPEG is non existent

That may be fine for the Internet,
But you would find a difference when it comes to print.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
15 May 2007 - 8:45 PM

I think we've down this road before - as I've said in a previous posting I have two full size A3 prints taken from the same image (RAW + full size jpeg) - I challenge anybody to tell which is the jpeg and which is the RAW conversion.

Quote: That's nothing more than your inability to make a better job than your camera.annoying or what!!

Why should it be annoying - for once you you're right!

Modern digital imaging technology is a wonderful thing - you should try it sometime!

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
15 May 2007 - 9:01 PM

Quality aside, I love the way RAW allows me to change the colour temperature, etc., etc., even before doing the rest of the post processing. I'm converted already, and I haven't been doing it very long.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 May 2007 - 9:06 PM

I have enlargements on my wall taken from RAW and JPEG, and even I have difficulty remembering which is which!

I use RAW on my DSLR because I'm too lazy to faff about with white balance and to worry too much about exposure. Poor old Ken Rockwell was much reviled in these columns for saying, in effect, that RAW for those who couldn't get it right first time. Yes it was an overstatement, but there is an element of truth there which still niggles some! Wink

Last Modified By Carabosse at 15 May 2007 - 9:07 PM
keithh
keithh  1022766 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
15 May 2007 - 9:10 PM

There is no element of truth...they were, and are, the words of a man who hasn't the first idea of what he was doing other than sort the white balance and, as most people think, tweak the exposure - such controls are at the very basic level and don't even scratch the surface of what can be extracted in terms of detail alone.

Last Modified By keithh at 15 May 2007 - 9:11 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.