Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Raw photography.

Gary66 2 158 England
10 Nov 2012 10:59PM
Hi, can someone explain what raw photography is please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2012 11:26PM
Think of a RAW image as a digital negative. When you take a photograph the camera records the image in one of two ways. If you shoot in RAW, the data saved by the camera is untouched and is exactly as recorded by the sensor. If you shoot in JPEG, the camera will apply various changes to the RAW data e.g. contrast,saturation,sharpening etc and then discard much of the RAW data and save the file as a compressed jpeg image. The advantage of shooting in RAW is that all the data is available to you so that you can do the processing to your own liking and not the cameras. The disadvantage is that you have to spend the time doing it! Most people (including me) will advise you to shoot in RAW.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2012 11:31PM
Think of the jpeg as being cooked. Think of the uncooked file as being raw, like raw meat or raw fish.

Btw Steve it's not an acronym so no need to write it in capitals Tongue
Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2012 11:39PM
But JPEG is so perhaps you should have used capitals if you want to be pedantic WinkTongue
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
10 Nov 2012 11:55PM
Touchée Grin
11 Nov 2012 12:12AM
Tooth, it's touché not touchée Tongue

Yep I shoulda captialised the JPEG, you got me Smile
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
11 Nov 2012 12:23AM
touché

Wink Smile Tongue
Gary66 2 158 England
11 Nov 2012 7:57AM
OK so let me get this straight, if I take photos using my own settings that will be classed as raw (lower casing) and if you want to alter the photograph in any way you can with the aid of software such as photoshop? or this may sound stupid is there a setting on the camera you use for raw instead of manual/custom.
Many thanks and play nicely Wink Gary.
sausage 10 286 United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 9:02AM
You need to set your camera to shoot raw and not jpeg - in menu settings? Everything thing else works the same way when you are taking photos. Raw files are much larger (more digital info) so will require a program like Photoshop or Lightroom to process them. Raw files will give you more scope in altering exposure, whitebalance etc.

Peter
ST 3 28 United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 9:14AM
Gary
There may be settings in your camera that allow you to choose which format the camera makes the image. Mine is set to take/make both raw and jpeg. I can also choose the quality of them both i.e. low, med, high.

One disadvantage of using my settings is the impact on the amount of space on the memory card. The jpeg allows me to see what the camera believes the image should look like and the raw allows me to process the image to how I want it to look. However memory cards are not too expensive.

Raw images can be tweaked in photo applications like PS as you say the camera manufacturers also supply software to manipulate the raw image. Manufacturers software is only for their camera raw. The non camera manufacturer software PS/GIMP etc. are non camera specific.
BTW you don't mention what camera you want to set up, it may help if you do so that someone on here can give you specific settings for the image type (raw, jpeg)

ihth
Willpower 3 217 United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 9:45AM
Gary
I notice that in your PF you are using two different cameras. A Canon Digital IXUS 65 & Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30

Regrettably neither of these cameras are capable of supporting raw format. So unless you use or upgrade to a compatable camera you will be unable to take anything other than JPEG's
thewilliam 6 4.8k
11 Nov 2012 9:48AM

Quote:Tooth, it's touché not touchée Tongue

Yep I shoulda captialised the JPEG, you got me Smile

What made you assume that Tooth is a man?
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
11 Nov 2012 9:54AM

Quote:What made you assume that Tooth is a man?

What made you assume that ' touché ' is an adjective?
11 Nov 2012 11:00AM
What made you assume that I had assumed Tooth is a man? What made you assume that I had assumed touché to be an adjective?
gaelldew 7 289 United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 11:22AM
Gary, you dont say which camera you have so we could advise on the menu settings, also have you checked for raw in the manual?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.