Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Raw photography.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Gary66
Gary66  1158 forum posts England
11 Nov 2012 - 1:48 PM

The camera which I am using (recent gift) is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30.
The Canon digital IXUS 65 was my last camera ( uploaded some old shots ).
I have no software and it looks as though I can't shoot in raw with my current camera, if not at least I have learnt something from your replies that would be useful in the future. Will read through manual again.
Many thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Nov 2012 - 1:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jadus
jadus e2 Member 2959 forum postsjadus vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2012 - 6:14 PM

eats 'shoots' leaves?

User_Removed
11 Nov 2012 - 7:16 PM

Touché = masculine past participle

Touchée = feminine past participle

Neither are adjectives.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2012 - 7:19 PM

Gosh we learn so much on here, don't we? Smile

Even photography-related stuff, occasionally! Wink

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3281 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2012 - 7:38 PM

I get the impression that some of the posters in this thread are a little "touched"Wink

tatkinson1983
11 Nov 2012 - 7:42 PM

Quote: Gary
There may be settings in your camera that allow you to choose which format the camera makes the image. Mine is set to take/make both raw and jpeg. I can also choose the quality of them both i.e. low, med, high.

One disadvantage of using my settings is the impact on the amount of space on the memory card. The jpeg allows me to see what the camera believes the image should look like and the raw allows me to process the image to how I want it to look. However memory cards are not too expensive.

Raw images can be tweaked in photo applications like PS as you say the camera manufacturers also supply software to manipulate the raw image. Manufacturers software is only for their camera raw. The non camera manufacturer software PS/GIMP etc. are non camera specific.
BTW you don't mention what camera you want to set up, it may help if you do so that someone on here can give you specific settings for the image type (raw, jpeg)

ihth

If you shoot in raw, the preview on the camera is the one your camera edits still. For example you can shoot raw, change the settings to black and white in camera. Shoot a photo and it will show black and white, but the when you view the raw file it will be colour. Or at least that's how it is using Canon. Might save you shooting a jpeg.

779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 - 8:39 PM

Quote: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30

I might be wrong but I don't think this camera has a raw setting. Link to spec

RTR
RTR  5 United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2012 - 9:02 PM

My advice would be, if you dont have any processing software stick with JPEG. I am quite an experienced ameteur now and have also been on a few photography and photoshop courses. I still dont use RAW for 'general' photography but do fully understand the advantages that many people are talking about in this thread. For me its main disadvantage is the size of the computor file it creates taking up space on your pc and card. It sounds as if you are a beginner if I may put it that way, if so stick with JPEG, get some experience with your camera, book yourself on a cheap local part time course and read up on digital photography. I found, when starting out, Practical Photography magazine was a great help because it tends to cover the basics whilst still appealing to a wide range of ameteurs.
A good starting point for enhancement software is Photoshop Elements. This can be bought for about £50 and actually comes free with some hardware like printers. You may even get an older version cheaper still. I still only use Elements 8 myself. Good luck, and I hope this helps. Rich. Wink

Gary66
Gary66  1158 forum posts England
12 Nov 2012 - 2:48 PM

Thanks RTR, your right i need to learn to walk before i can run so to speak.
Thanks everyone.

User_Removed
12 Nov 2012 - 3:18 PM

Quote: I get the impression that some of the posters in this thread are a little "touched"Wink

We wouldn't be photographers if we weren't!

You don't have to be crazy to be an artist - but it sure helps.

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Nov 2012 - 3:19 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.