Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Raw processing in PS Elements 6

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

alansnap
alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 2:29 PM

Now I know I asking to get buried here, but indulge an old man. I have been drumming my fingers for months over the fact that I couldn't get PSE 5 or 6 for my Mac. Now I've pre-ordered v6 for delivery in March.

Question is how good is the RAW processing in PSE 6 on the PC? Should I wait and see or will I have to consider something else? I have an old desktop that copes with Aperture but very slowly and frankly I haven't the patience to wait so I'm looking for an alternative RAW solution other that the Canon bundled software.

Obviously the ability to combine RAW with other editing options in PSE is attractive, but will it be worth the wait?

Thoughts anyone - stoopid question on this forum Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jan 2008 - 2:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 2:36 PM

Perosnally I would get Capture One 4 for RAW processing and keep PSE6 for sharpening and significant manipulation.

The RAW processor contained within PSE6 is not the best of options.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96307 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 4:21 PM

Quote: The RAW processor contained within PSE6 is not the best of options.

Or is it just ease of use / personal choice ?

I have tried Capture One 4 and have Elements 3 and Lightroom and just cannot tell any difference whatsoever between the RAW processing.

alansnap
alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 4:29 PM

Thanks chaps, I'll just wait and see how I get on. I have thought about Capture One, so I may get that too.

Cheers,

Alan

trivets12
trivets12  101155 forum posts
26 Jan 2008 - 5:01 PM

Alan, try the www.photoshopelementsuser.com website for some tutorials on how to use RAW in Elements 6, and then you can see how it works. I found Capture One better/faster for large numbers of images but if you are only doing a few it may be adequate to use Elements 6. The RAW interface in PSE6 is very similar to the CS3 interface for RAW and there are many tutorials on the web for that.
Hope this helps,
Trudy

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
26 Jan 2008 - 7:06 PM

It depends how old your computer is. Modern programs are quite resource hungry and you may find it prudent to upgrade at some point. The raw processing in Photoshop Elements 6 is a cut-down version of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin, it has much fewer options than the same plugin wihtin Photoshop and there's only limited 16-bit support in Elements.

If you get yourself a Sandisk Extreme III CF card, you will get a free licence to Phase One C1, whether it will run on your ageing computer, the best thing is try it and see. It's a two-computer licence anyway.

Photoshop Lightroom is also good, though more expensive.

Jo

JJGEE
JJGEE  96307 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 7:31 PM

Quote: The raw processing in Photoshop Elements 6 is a cut-down version of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin

In what respect ?

I thought Adobe Camera RAW was the same for Photoshop, Lightroom & Elements

Last Modified By JJGEE at 26 Jan 2008 - 7:32 PM
strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 8:03 PM

Quote: I thought Adobe Camera RAW was the same for Photoshop, Lightroom & Elements

I believe the engine is, but the controls on CS3 are different from elements 6 for example.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 8:20 PM

Quote:
I believe the engine is, but the controls on CS3 are different from elements 6 for example

Bloody rip-off

Adrian

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 10:28 PM

Alan
Give RawShooter a try. It's free & a piece of cake to use.
Rog

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2008 - 10:45 PM

Even try the trial period for ACD Pro2

Adrian

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
27 Jan 2008 - 11:11 PM

Rawshooter no longer exists - it was bought by Adobe in 2006 and the engine incorporated into Lightroom.

The Adobe Camera Raw limitation isn't so much a rip-off, purely a recognition that typical Elements users don't need all the complexities of the plugin. You can make key adjustments to exposure, colour temp etc, but other tabs are missing when you install the Plugin into Elements.

Cheapest way forward is to get a Sandisk Extreme III CF card with the free licence to Phase One C1 LE. At least you'll have the bonus of an extra CF card. The offer is valid until Mar08.

Jo

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2008 - 11:52 PM

Quote: I have an old desktop that copes with Aperture but very slowly and frankly I haven't the patience to wait so I'm looking for an alternative RAW solution other that the Canon bundled software.

Dad, is this not for the new toy? I thought the old desktop was going to mum...

KT

alansnap
3 Feb 2008 - 5:20 PM

Thanks everyone.

Much thinking to do, so I'll just wait till March when the new software gets here.

Alan

skeletor
skeletor  101643 forum posts England
3 Feb 2008 - 8:49 PM

Alan, Technically Little Jo is correct: Rawshooter no longer exists. But, it is still available for download here
Just had a look at your pf for your camera, if you're still using a 5D you should be alright with RS. I used to use it...for the money it can't be beat Wink

Steve

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.