Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Raw processing in PS Elements 6

alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2008 2:29PM
Now I know I asking to get buried here, but indulge an old man. I have been drumming my fingers for months over the fact that I couldn't get PSE 5 or 6 for my Mac. Now I've pre-ordered v6 for delivery in March.

Question is how good is the RAW processing in PSE 6 on the PC? Should I wait and see or will I have to consider something else? I have an old desktop that copes with Aperture but very slowly and frankly I haven't the patience to wait so I'm looking for an alternative RAW solution other that the Canon bundled software.

Obviously the ability to combine RAW with other editing options in PSE is attractive, but will it be worth the wait?

Thoughts anyone - stoopid question on this forum Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
26 Jan 2008 2:36PM
Perosnally I would get Capture One 4 for RAW processing and keep PSE6 for sharpening and significant manipulation.

The RAW processor contained within PSE6 is not the best of options.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
26 Jan 2008 4:21PM

Quote:The RAW processor contained within PSE6 is not the best of options.

Or is it just ease of use / personal choice ?

I have tried Capture One 4 and have Elements 3 and Lightroom and just cannot tell any difference whatsoever between the RAW processing.
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2008 4:29PM
Thanks chaps, I'll just wait and see how I get on. I have thought about Capture One, so I may get that too.

Cheers,

Alan
trivets12 10 1.3k
26 Jan 2008 5:01PM
Alan, try the www.photoshopelementsuser.com website for some tutorials on how to use RAW in Elements 6, and then you can see how it works. I found Capture One better/faster for large numbers of images but if you are only doing a few it may be adequate to use Elements 6. The RAW interface in PSE6 is very similar to the CS3 interface for RAW and there are many tutorials on the web for that.
Hope this helps,
Trudy
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
26 Jan 2008 7:06PM
It depends how old your computer is. Modern programs are quite resource hungry and you may find it prudent to upgrade at some point. The raw processing in Photoshop Elements 6 is a cut-down version of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin, it has much fewer options than the same plugin wihtin Photoshop and there's only limited 16-bit support in Elements.

If you get yourself a Sandisk Extreme III CF card, you will get a free licence to Phase One C1, whether it will run on your ageing computer, the best thing is try it and see. It's a two-computer licence anyway.

Photoshop Lightroom is also good, though more expensive.

Jo
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
26 Jan 2008 7:31PM

Quote:The raw processing in Photoshop Elements 6 is a cut-down version of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin

In what respect ?

I thought Adobe Camera RAW was the same for Photoshop, Lightroom & Elements
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2008 8:03PM

Quote:I thought Adobe Camera RAW was the same for Photoshop, Lightroom & Elements
I believe the engine is, but the controls on CS3 are different from elements 6 for example.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2008 8:20PM

Quote:
I believe the engine is, but the controls on CS3 are different from elements 6 for example

Bloody rip-off

Adrian
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
26 Jan 2008 10:28PM
Alan
Give RawShooter a try. It's free & a piece of cake to use.
Rog
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2008 10:45PM
Even try the trial period for ACD Pro2

Adrian
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
27 Jan 2008 11:11PM
Rawshooter no longer exists - it was bought by Adobe in 2006 and the engine incorporated into Lightroom.

The Adobe Camera Raw limitation isn't so much a rip-off, purely a recognition that typical Elements users don't need all the complexities of the plugin. You can make key adjustments to exposure, colour temp etc, but other tabs are missing when you install the Plugin into Elements.

Cheapest way forward is to get a Sandisk Extreme III CF card with the free licence to Phase One C1 LE. At least you'll have the bonus of an extra CF card. The offer is valid until Mar08.

Jo
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
27 Jan 2008 11:52PM

Quote: I have an old desktop that copes with Aperture but very slowly and frankly I haven't the patience to wait so I'm looking for an alternative RAW solution other that the Canon bundled software.

Dad, is this not for the new toy? I thought the old desktop was going to mum...

KT
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2008 5:20PM
Thanks everyone.

Much thinking to do, so I'll just wait till March when the new software gets here.

Alan
skeletor 11 1.6k England
3 Feb 2008 8:49PM
Alan, Technically Little Jo is correct: Rawshooter no longer exists. But, it is still available for download here
Just had a look at your pf for your camera, if you're still using a 5D you should be alright with RS. I used to use it...for the money it can't be beat Wink

Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.