Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

RAW Software - which one is best?

rxheard 8 92 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2007 11:27PM
Capture One vs Photoshop RAW vs Rawshooter?

Which is the best piece of kit to use for RAW conversion? Has anyone had any nightmares with either?

Thanks
Rob

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BigCol e2
13 1.8k 1 Scotland
10 Sep 2007 11:41PM
Well as RawShooter no longer exists you're down to two, unless you want to add Lightroom to that list to replace it.
I use lightroom on my main PC but I've got C1LE on the laptop for when I'm away from home.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
10 Sep 2007 11:52PM
My other half uses a Canon 20D, She swears by Capture One LE.......She really does not get on with Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop.

Having said that she has not really given Lightroom s decent road test as yet.

I use a Nikon and find Cap One LE, OK sometimes use Lightroom, But mostly use Nikon Capture NX........So if your a Canon shooter, I'd check out Cap One LE, Many on EPZ rate it highly...Smile
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2007 11:53PM
How long is a piece of string. I pick C1 LE for its control over colour and ability to produce the result I want without an over sharp noisy/over harsh output.

Others will argue. Some say Lightroom is a better workflow, but it cost a lot more, and are the end results as good?.
BigCol e2
13 1.8k 1 Scotland
10 Sep 2007 11:57PM

Quote:are the end results as good?

Yes, better? Now that's another question!
It's a bit like asking which car is better, or which camera, or which brand of butter!
Everyone will have their own views and their own reasons for their views. Try as many as you can, learn to use each one to it's fullest capabilities and then choose for yourself. You'll probably end up at a different conclussion 'cos you're most likely coming at it from a different direction.
To some extend it seems to matter how powerful your PC is too!
rxheard 8 92 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2007 12:25AM
Thanks for your comments guys - they are very useful. Normally I use PS raw, which was going ok but then I downloaded the Capture one demo and it seems the image quality is far superior. In fact I'd go to say it makes the PS Raw images look a little soft.

However, there are things in PS Raw that I like - which on the demo of CO LE I can't see are available such as the ability to set the crop size and to be able to rotate your cropping box. Is this available on the full version? I'm sure there are other notable differences, just haven't had time to find them yet.
Rob
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
11 Sep 2007 7:26AM

Quote:Capture One vs Photoshop RAW vs Rawshooter?

Try 'Lightroom'... Wink

If you use Nikon, try Capture NX.
bmh1 e2
8 571 1 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2007 7:34AM
You could always try ufraw which supports a wide variety of raw formats and is entirely free ...

Bernard
Brom 10 804 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2007 7:57AM
you can still get the FREE Rawshooter essentials from this site here

http://www.download.com/3000-12511_4-10518796.html
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2007 8:09AM

Quote:which on the demo of CO LE I can't see are available such as the ability to set the crop size and to be able to rotate your cropping box. Is this available on the full version?

Yes, also in the LE version of C1 v4 - the beta is downloadable now.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2007 8:44AM
The crop and rotate tool is in the C1 Version 4 B, but to be honest I am not convinced you need it as I tend to have to finish off the image in a photo editor, (true for all the RAW tools mentioned) things like crop, re-size and sharpen are best done there.

but that is my personal opinion.
11 Sep 2007 8:58AM
Aother vote for Capture 1LE. You can still get the Sandisk deals which come with an access code that allows you to get CE1 for free.
Martin
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
11 Sep 2007 9:01AM
People been raving about Lightroom as well.
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Sep 2007 10:01AM
after using both Capture 1 & Lightroom I say Lightroom.
darrinj 10 250 United Arab Emirates
11 Sep 2007 12:27PM
I love Aperture but of course you have to come to the light side, away from all that darkness and buy a MAc! I find the comparative of jpgs to cr2 images are so close it's pretty much negligible.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.