Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RAW Software - which one is best?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
rxheard
rxheard  892 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Sep 2007 - 11:27 PM

Capture One vs Photoshop RAW vs Rawshooter?

Which is the best piece of kit to use for RAW conversion? Has anyone had any nightmares with either?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Sep 2007 - 11:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BigCol
BigCol e2 Member 121835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2007 - 11:41 PM

Well as RawShooter no longer exists you're down to two, unless you want to add Lightroom to that list to replace it.
I use lightroom on my main PC but I've got C1LE on the laptop for when I'm away from home.

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2007 - 11:52 PM

My other half uses a Canon 20D, She swears by Capture One LE.......She really does not get on with Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop.

Having said that she has not really given Lightroom s decent road test as yet.

I use a Nikon and find Cap One LE, OK sometimes use Lightroom, But mostly use Nikon Capture NX........So if your a Canon shooter, I'd check out Cap One LE, Many on EPZ rate it highly...Smile

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2007 - 11:53 PM

How long is a piece of string. I pick C1 LE for its control over colour and ability to produce the result I want without an over sharp noisy/over harsh output.

Others will argue. Some say Lightroom is a better workflow, but it cost a lot more, and are the end results as good?.

BigCol
BigCol e2 Member 121835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2007 - 11:57 PM

Quote: are the end results as good?

Yes, better? Now that's another question!
It's a bit like asking which car is better, or which camera, or which brand of butter!
Everyone will have their own views and their own reasons for their views. Try as many as you can, learn to use each one to it's fullest capabilities and then choose for yourself. You'll probably end up at a different conclussion 'cos you're most likely coming at it from a different direction.
To some extend it seems to matter how powerful your PC is too!

rxheard
rxheard  892 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Sep 2007 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for your comments guys - they are very useful. Normally I use PS raw, which was going ok but then I downloaded the Capture one demo and it seems the image quality is far superior. In fact I'd go to say it makes the PS Raw images look a little soft.

However, there are things in PS Raw that I like - which on the demo of CO LE I can't see are available such as the ability to set the crop size and to be able to rotate your cropping box. Is this available on the full version? I'm sure there are other notable differences, just haven't had time to find them yet.
Rob

User_Removed
11 Sep 2007 - 7:26 AM

Quote: Capture One vs Photoshop RAW vs Rawshooter?

Try 'Lightroom'... Wink

If you use Nikon, try Capture NX.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Sep 2007 - 7:27 AM
bmh1
bmh1 e2 Member 8571 forum postsbmh1 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2007 - 7:34 AM

You could always try ufraw which supports a wide variety of raw formats and is entirely free ...

Bernard

Brom
Brom  9804 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Sep 2007 - 7:57 AM

you can still get the FREE Rawshooter essentials from this site here

http://www.download.com/3000-12511_4-10518796.html

Last Modified By Brom at 11 Sep 2007 - 7:59 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2007 - 8:09 AM

Quote: which on the demo of CO LE I can't see are available such as the ability to set the crop size and to be able to rotate your cropping box. Is this available on the full version?

Yes, also in the LE version of C1 v4 - the beta is downloadable now.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2007 - 8:44 AM

The crop and rotate tool is in the C1 Version 4 B, but to be honest I am not convinced you need it as I tend to have to finish off the image in a photo editor, (true for all the RAW tools mentioned) things like crop, re-size and sharpen are best done there.

but that is my personal opinion.

forestnil
forestnil  8183 forum posts England
11 Sep 2007 - 8:58 AM

Aother vote for Capture 1LE. You can still get the Sandisk deals which come with an access code that allows you to get CE1 for free.
Martin

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2007 - 9:01 AM

People been raving about Lightroom as well.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111876 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Sep 2007 - 10:01 AM

after using both Capture 1 & Lightroom I say Lightroom.

darrinj
darrinj  10250 forum posts United Arab Emirates
11 Sep 2007 - 12:27 PM

I love Aperture but of course you have to come to the light side, away from all that darkness and buy a MAc! I find the comparative of jpgs to cr2 images are so close it's pretty much negligible.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.