Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

RAW software

mikesmith e2
10 45 35 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2006 8:42PM
Having just purchased the new Nikon D80, I have been disappointed (as I know at least one other EPZer has too) to learn that the RAW processing software supplied is only on a 30day trial. At the end of that Nikon expect you to pay 120 for their processing software. I have CS2 and was wondering whether anyone has heard about any plug-ins that may be available for processing "NEF" images. ( I am relatively new to CS" and still somewhat of a novice!!)

I have previously used Rawshooter essentials but this does not support NEF images. Anyone out there got any idea's on what cheap software is available for processing Nikon Raw images (NEF)

Cheers

Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Centurion e2
10 1.2k England
25 Sep 2006 9:07PM
Both CS2 and Rawshooter essentials support NEF files.

You may want to run an update for PS and download the latest version of Rawshooter.

Gav
bmh1 e2
8 571 1 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2006 9:14PM
dcraw lists support for the D80, (there is a link to a Windows executable on the page), but this is a command line utility.

ufraw which can be used a standalone graphics tool or a GIMP plugin doesn't list the D80, but given it is based on dcraw it is very likely to have the support added into the next release.

I found that dcraw supported the Canon 400D, but ufraw didn't (yet), but I could just transfer the bits of code I needed and recompile ufraw...

Bernard
deavilin e2
10 339 1 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2006 9:19PM
Hi Mike I have Raw Shooter Premium full version and it handles the nef file with no trouble at all, the best thing I have bought so far I love itSmile

Charlotte
mikesmith e2
10 45 35 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2006 9:19PM
Gav

what am I doing wrong then? Rawshooter essentials says "no raw files found" whenever I connect the SD card. With the canon I had, the cogs started whirring immediately and the files appeared....HELP!
Mike
mikesmith e2
10 45 35 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2006 9:21PM
Charlotte, what does it retial at, any ideas? Someone has told me that they used Rawshooter for their Nikon D70 but it wont work for their Nikon D80 either!!
Mike
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Sep 2006 9:23PM
RS is unlikely to recognise the files from D80..RS was a dead duck before the D80 was released.

Capture One will however...and will continue to.
Lightroom will in the future as will Camera RAW very shortly if it doesn't already.

Nikon's cheek in charging to process it's own RAW files has long been one of their undoings.
skeletor e2
11 1.6k England
25 Sep 2006 9:25PM
Mike,

You are correct: RSE doesn't support D80 NEF files.

With a new camera you're probably in the market for a new memory card. You may have heard about the Sandisk/Capture one package: buy a Sandisk Extreme 3 card and get C1 thrown in. Don't think the offer's available till next month though. You'll get more info if you check "News" on the left.

Steve
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Sep 2006 9:28PM
It's from October 16 for a 'limited period'.
mikesmith e2
10 45 35 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2006 9:45PM
Thanks for the help folks. There more replies I get the more confused I get. maybe it's just an "age" thing!!
Mike
skeletor e2
11 1.6k England
25 Sep 2006 10:12PM
If I can just clarify a couple of points:

Those above that are saying RSEssentials works fine with their NEFs are not using a D80. Not all NEF files are the same. So, RSE is not an option for you.

RS Premium is not available any more. So, again, not an option.

Steve
Graysta e2
9 1.1k England
26 Sep 2006 6:25AM
Capture one is available as a trial download i would advise you try it,first time i saw it was on a Northscape weekend used by Keith,i got the trial and after 4 days decided that i will buy the full version.
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
26 Sep 2006 7:25AM
Have a look Here
mjsayles e2
8 1.0k
26 Sep 2006 8:31AM
Looks like that could prove to be a very useful series of tutorials Andy. I shall keep my eyes peeled!
jonc e2
10 7
26 Sep 2006 11:05AM
From here

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Note: Adobe Camera Raw 3.6 development has been accelerated to accommodate recently announced cameras such as the Nikon D80 and the Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel Xti. The update will be provided this fall.

The current Version is 3.5

In other wordsyou will be able to use CS2 soon to process your D80 raw images. Just download Camera Raw update when its available from Adobe website.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.