Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RAW software for either EOS 5D MkII or EOS 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    PeterLanky
    22 Apr 2010 - 4:01 PM

A friend is considering buying one of the above but is asking about software for RAW conversion. Obviously being newish cameras, Raw Shooter Essentials doesn't work, and Adobe Raw is only supported in Photoshop CS4 and Essentials 8. Looking at the Canon support page, even Canon Digital Photo Professional 3.4.1 doesn't support those models, which seems rather strange to me saying as they are Canon Cameras. Any suggestions for a RAW converter for either of these?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Apr 2010 - 4:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jalapeno
    Jalapeno  4127 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2010 - 4:06 PM

I use Adobe Lightroom with my 5D MkII for all initial raw file adjustments................ Smile if that helps?

unless u r looking for something free?

fstopshere
    22 Apr 2010 - 4:14 PM

Canon DPP is up to version 3.6.n now and the earlier versions can be updated with downloads, it is an update only you must have an original version installed. DPP is a bit clunky but does a pretty good job-and its free!So whether its the "best' it does mean the cameras can used in RAW effectively and without further initial expense.Mind you the appropriate version of DPP does come on the discs with whichever camera they buy!

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2010 - 4:19 PM

Quote: even Canon Digital Photo Professional 3.4.1 doesn't support those models

Strange that, My other half recently acquired a 5D Mk II, The disc version of Canon DPP works with it just fine, Why on earth would Canon provide software with a new camera, If that software was not compatible with it.....Grin

I suspect you'll find thats the same for the Canon 7D too......Smile

Quote: Canon DPP is up to version 3.6.n now

I think you will find that its up to Version 3.80 now.....Wink Just updated my partners copmputer......Grin

Last Modified By cameracat at 22 Apr 2010 - 4:21 PM
    stevenb
    stevenb e2 Member 10260 forum postsstevenb vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2010 - 4:51 PM

This is how I process my 5dmk2 raw file.
    Download from Adobe the FREE DNG converter
    Then download raw images to computer
    Then convert Canon raw images into DNG raw images which will open up in CS 3
    You can then view the image in photoshop
    Hope this helps

Bill

WilliamRoar
    22 Apr 2010 - 6:45 PM

Try RAW Therapee - Freeware

PeterLanky
    22 Apr 2010 - 8:18 PM

Looks like Canon doesn't know it's @rse from it's elbow. This is the only page I can get from the Canon website. I can see from Googling that there is a 3.8 now, so why would Canon not show this on it's website.

KathyW
    KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2010 - 10:13 PM

Quote: Looks like Canon doesn't know it's @rse from it's elbow.

Perhaps it's not just Canon... update

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2010 - 10:20 PM

Quote: Looks like Canon doesn't know it's @rse from it's elbow

First you assume that Canon would supply a RAW capable camera, But without the software required to deal with RAW data files.

Then you fail to find the correct page with an even more recent version of Canons DPP software version 3.80......Smile

Are you having a laugh with us.....Smile Or has Canon upset you for some reason.....Grin

Whatever, I see that KathyW has provided you with a link straight to the latest Canon updates ( including version 3.80 )....!!!

Just make sure you download the the right one for your " Operating System " and " Language " .....As you will be spoilt for choice........Wink

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Apr 2010 - 10:37 PM

Peter I just used the Canon web site to check for SW updates for the 7D and it links to DPP V3.80. Just select your camera from the list. It looks like Canon are well aware of where their arse and elbows are.

Graywolf
    Graywolf  6964 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Apr 2010 - 10:23 PM

Quote: Try RAW Therapee - Freeware

From what I can see neither RAW Therapee 2.4.1 nor the new version 3.0 (Alpha version) support RAW files from the 7D

I have downloaded and used DPP but I don't like the interface.

I have been using DNG converter 5.5 but can someone explain to me why, when I open these DNG files in irfan view to preview them, the don't seem to be big enough when viewed at 100%

If I view the 7Ds CR2 files in irfan view the files are much bigger.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.