Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

RAW Viewer

Alcor 7 35 Scotland
29 Oct 2007 1:04PM
Hi,

I have recently switched to raw, however i am finding the lack of viewing support somewhat annoying!

The main trouble is im a Vista x64 OS!

I have looked and looked and to the best of my knowlege this platform is unsuported.
Does anyone have any info to the contary or any idea when 64 bit might be included.

My work arround at the moment is using Digital Photo Professional and obviously PS is fine. However i really want support at an OS level, eg viewing photos in folders like JPEG.

Its Canon Raws im interested, however for the sake of anyone else interested feel free to post about Nikon etc.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2007 1:35PM
Have you tried Google Picasa? It is free and I think it supports Vista. You can use it to view and catalogue your raw files in the absence of any other progs.

HTH

Ian
kit-monster e2
11 3.7k 2 Singapore
29 Oct 2007 1:35PM
It's not OS level, but I find picasa is quite handy for quick browsing on Vista.
Hoffy e2
10 241 16 England
29 Oct 2007 2:15PM
Faststone

I use this, very good and quick.
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
29 Oct 2007 3:12PM
Yes, along with other programmes I use Faststone. Considering it's free, it does a great deal. Just been away for a month, and I have it on the laptop as well, and used it a lot.
AlanTW 11 343
29 Oct 2007 4:15PM
Another vote for Faststone
Excellent for a freebie
Alan
Alcor 7 35 Scotland
29 Oct 2007 6:51PM
Thanks for the replies guys, i will definately look into the above software.
I just wish MS and/or Canon would not forget about us 64bit users!
p3asa 8 676 Scotland
29 Oct 2007 8:02PM
Any of these links any good to you
linky 1
linky 2

They relate to Vista but not sure about the 64bit part!
Incidentally does the 64bit version have more advantages over the stock version? Do things run faster?

Steven.
29 Oct 2007 8:28PM
Cool. I've been looking for the Oly one today and here it is. Nice one Wink
Alcor 7 35 Scotland
30 Oct 2007 12:23PM

Quote:
Incidentally does the 64bit version have more advantages over the stock version? Do things run faster?

I do find it very fast. I can have numreous raw images open in PS and take no performance hit at all. I rarely have to wait more than a second or two for filters to apply. 4GB of ram probably helps this too. (But you need x64 to have that).

Thanks for the links, however sadly Canon Raw Codec v1.0 is only supported by Vista x86 (32bit).

I think i shall keep hoping for an update. It really surprises me as for serious photo editing 64 bit really is the way to go.

Kris
loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2007 1:00PM

Quote:for serious photo editing 64 bit really is the way to go.

Why?
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
30 Oct 2007 2:00PM
Been looking at Vista out of interest and reading the various XP vs Vista like for like performance reviews for various common tasks such as MP3 & video codec crunching, PS CS3 graphic crunching [using a long & complex action], data compressing to RAR/Zip etc etc etc.

I have yet to see Vista even approach the speeds currently achieved by XP.

I think I'll wait a while.................
MartinWalker 7 160 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2007 2:23PM
try using IrfanView ... i use it for viewing FujiFilm RAW (RAF) files... dunno about any other formats...
Alcor 7 35 Scotland
30 Oct 2007 7:12PM
Well i just find the extra RAM such a boost. With 4 GB i can have excess of 30 RAW files open and manipulate the top image with no processing lag. On my laptop (3yrs old, 512RAM) i have to wait 30 secs for some tasks with only one JPEG open. For me it is night and day. 32 bit limits total system RAM to about 3GB taking into account video memory.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.