Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RAW Viewer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Alcor
    Alcor  635 forum posts Scotland
    29 Oct 2007 - 1:04 PM

Hi,

I have recently switched to raw, however i am finding the lack of viewing support somewhat annoying!

The main trouble is im a Vista x64 OS!

I have looked and looked and to the best of my knowlege this platform is unsuported.
    Does anyone have any info to the contary or any idea when 64 bit might be included.

My work arround at the moment is using Digital Photo Professional and obviously PS is fine. However i really want support at an OS level, eg viewing photos in folders like JPEG.

Its Canon Raws im interested, however for the sake of anyone else interested feel free to post about Nikon etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Oct 2007 - 1:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2007 - 1:35 PM

Have you tried Google Picasa? It is free and I think it supports Vista. You can use it to view and catalogue your raw files in the absence of any other progs.

HTH

Ian

kit-monster
    kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2007 - 1:35 PM

It's not OS level, but I find picasa is quite handy for quick browsing on Vista.

Hoffy
    Hoffy  9212 forum posts England16 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2007 - 2:15 PM

Faststone

I use this, very good and quick.

Last Modified By digicammad at 29 Oct 2007 - 3:55 PM
    agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    29 Oct 2007 - 3:12 PM

Yes, along with other programmes I use Faststone. Considering it's free, it does a great deal. Just been away for a month, and I have it on the laptop as well, and used it a lot.

AlanTW
    AlanTW  11342 forum posts
    29 Oct 2007 - 4:15 PM

Another vote for Faststone
    Excellent for a freebie
    Alan

Last Modified By AlanTW at 29 Oct 2007 - 5:18 PM
    Alcor
    29 Oct 2007 - 6:51 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, i will definately look into the above software.
    I just wish MS and/or Canon would not forget about us 64bit users!

p3asa
    p3asa  8676 forum posts Scotland
    29 Oct 2007 - 8:02 PM

Any of these links any good to you
    linky 1
    linky 2

They relate to Vista but not sure about the 64bit part!
    Incidentally does the 64bit version have more advantages over the stock version? Do things run faster?

Steven.

veggiesosage
    29 Oct 2007 - 8:28 PM

Cool. I've been looking for the Oly one today and here it is. Nice one Wink

Alcor
    30 Oct 2007 - 12:23 PM

Quote:
    Incidentally does the 64bit version have more advantages over the stock version? Do things run faster?

I do find it very fast. I can have numreous raw images open in PS and take no performance hit at all. I rarely have to wait more than a second or two for filters to apply. 4GB of ram probably helps this too. (But you need x64 to have that).

Thanks for the links, however sadly Canon Raw Codec v1.0 is only supported by Vista x86 (32bit).

I think i shall keep hoping for an update. It really surprises me as for serious photo editing 64 bit really is the way to go.

Kris

loweskid
    loweskid  122042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2007 - 1:00 PM

Quote: for serious photo editing 64 bit really is the way to go.

Why?

MeanGreeny
    30 Oct 2007 - 2:00 PM

Been looking at Vista out of interest and reading the various XP vs Vista like for like performance reviews for various common tasks such as MP3 & video codec crunching, PS CS3 graphic crunching [using a long & complex action], data compressing to RAR/Zip etc etc etc.

I have yet to see Vista even approach the speeds currently achieved by XP.

I think I'll wait a while.................

MartinWalker
    30 Oct 2007 - 2:23 PM

try using IrfanView... i use it for viewing FujiFilm RAW (RAF) files... dunno about any other formats...

Alcor
    30 Oct 2007 - 7:12 PM

Well i just find the extra RAM such a boost. With 4 GB i can have excess of 30 RAW files open and manipulate the top image with no processing lag. On my laptop (3yrs old, 512RAM) i have to wait 30 secs for some tasks with only one JPEG open. For me it is night and day. 32 bit limits total system RAM to about 3GB taking into account video memory.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.