Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Raw vs JPEG Is it worth the extra space and effort?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2014 - 6:14 PM

When I very first started taking pictures more than 30 years ago, it was film and I used my local lab and got machine prints.

Later I added my own darkroom.

I look on Raw as being your negative and Jpeg as being your automated machine print.

I learnt all the basics getting machine prints and it taught me a lot about getting it right in camera, the more advanced stuff such as dodging and burning came later using a darkroom.

There is no harm in shooting both Jpeg + Raw, storage space is so cheap these days.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2014 - 6:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2014 - 8:04 PM

Quote: (note that with a program like Irfanview you can instantly create JPG "previews" or "proofs" from the RAW file and email them to your picture editor... )

Tried to compare them to full size off-camera JPGs? ...Sorry, forgot - you don't take JPGsWink

indeed - not that daft Wink

....Paul, you ok?

no mention of custom colour profiles in that last comment Wink

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 28 Jul 2014 - 8:05 PM
MichaelMelb_AU
28 Jul 2014 - 9:44 PM

Quote: ... forgot - you don't take JPGsWink

indeed - not that daft ...

Quite a few modern compacts still do not take RAW, most mobile phone cameras too. So daft... And unfashionable. And, ultimately daft, camera designers include JPG capture capability into their newest DSLRs and mirrorless. Should've asked Ade, sillyWink

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 28 Jul 2014 - 9:45 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2014 - 9:48 PM

no mention of custom colour profiles in that last comment Wink

There not much cop if you only shoot Jpeg Ade Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2014 - 11:58 PM

got a spare colour passport and I'll give it a go...

Paul Morgan
29 Jul 2014 - 12:13 AM

Just get yourself a macbeth colour chart and then either download the xrite software or download the free adobe software, if your going to use the free adobe software you will have to convert your raw files of the test target to DNG first, oddly enough the adobe software does not integrate with LR.

You can get the Adobe software here.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5494

The nice thing about this bit of adobe software is that it does not instal, you just open it and use it.

Some of the cards on there own are quite dear though, almost as much as a colorchecker passport.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-macbeth-colour-checker-chart/p1011490

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 29 Jul 2014 - 12:24 AM
ade_mcfade
29 Jul 2014 - 9:50 AM

72 for the X-Rite Passport Checker and its software....

ade_mcfade
29 Jul 2014 - 11:03 AM

Bought it Mr Morgan.... I fully expect my life to change as a result - OR ELSE Wink

Paul Morgan
29 Jul 2014 - 9:05 PM

it wont change your life Ade Smile

ade_mcfade
30 Jul 2014 - 10:48 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was the solution to all the world's ills Wink

ade_mcfade
30 Jul 2014 - 3:21 PM

...it is here!

very very small - fits in my pocket Smile

So here is my first experiment....

Without the profile applied...

-mg-3464.jpg

With the profile applied

-mg-3464-2.jpg

My cat is definitely more orange with the new "Cloudy Ade" profile Smile

Paul Morgan
30 Jul 2014 - 5:47 PM

I really enjoy using mine
Quote: ...it is here!

very very small - fits in my pocket Smile

So here is my first experiment....

Without the profile applied...

With the profile applied

My cat is definitely more orange with the new "Cloudy Ade" profile Smile

LOl not as small as some of the other macbeth cards, I know somebody who ordered one believing it was A4 and when it arrived he found it was the same size as a credit card Smile

Regisister and they will send you a link for a second bit of software, the DNG Profile manager.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 30 Jul 2014 - 5:50 PM
MichaelMelb_AU
30 Jul 2014 - 9:48 PM

I could it much cheaper - and faster. My own eyes plus orange color slider in Lightroom. Stop the waste - save the planet Wink

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 871 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
7 Aug 2014 - 10:30 PM

Jeff - JJGEE I looked for that image the other day and it's not there, I must have deleted it from my picture folders during my last purge. I've got a good idea of when I took it and it should be on a backup, next time I'm in the loft (when it's a bit cooler too) I'll have a look.

I'm interested to see if I can get it worked in LR.

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 871 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
7 Aug 2014 - 11:15 PM

I was reminded by this thread, keen to look into it http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/raw-image-of-a--pink--camelia-flower-give...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.