Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RE: Alternative models

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ivanrakk
    ivanrakk  329 forum posts
    14 Apr 2012 - 2:02 PM

A bit bored with glamour photography. Love fine art nudes. Looking for something different.
    Anybody know of any goth / vampire / alternative model events in the uk?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Apr 2012 - 2:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    14 Apr 2012 - 10:01 PM

theres a goth weekend in whitby yearly tho ud need google it iv not been

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72271 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2012 - 10:46 PM

Plenty of alt models on model mayhem - many of them happy to shoot tf*

thebigyin
    thebigyin e2 Member 981 forum poststhebigyin vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Apr 2012 - 3:47 AM

Try Purestorm too, I could recommend a couple of good Alt models on there depending on where in the UK you are, but I would like to see an example of your work before I would say who they were.

Feel free to PM me.

Alister

ivanrakk
    15 Apr 2012 - 12:19 PM

rob: thanks , i missed whitby this year.
    arhb: thanks, really looking for events besides the whitby one.
    alister: thanks, i'm in leicester. see glamour fish site / ivanrakk

ivanrakk
    15 Apr 2012 - 12:39 PM

Alister,
    Which studios do you use?
    From your porfolio, I particularly liked: Gem, Sabrina, Loli...

I've tried: WPS and Ariane.
    Doing a Pixel8 photoshoot next week.
    Last year did Paul's Studio Wales photoshoot - great.

thebigyin
    thebigyin e2 Member 981 forum poststhebigyin vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Apr 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hi,

I'm tending not to use studios anymore due to the cost and now hire models to work directly from their home.

I have a shared investment in portable studio lighting, and each shoot pays a liitle more off on the investment, the other benefit to doing this is that you will get different backgrounds and surroundings in which to shoot in.

However in the past I have used WPS (which is another story), Ariane (very good studio), But if i needed to recommend anywhere a studio I would have a choice of three, firstly Pathway in Chester as their hire cost is not too high and it's fairly local to me second would be Yorkshire Studios in Keighley, great studio, loads of space with wicked lights, but quite a challenge to get there as there is no main motorway routes near Keighley, and another is Bodyline in Long Eaton near Nottingham, Lee has several fixed sets including a full wet set which is quite impressive.

I have not done a group shoot for years, as I just won't get any of the results I want, so its usually one to one or with a photographer mate or sometimes my brother.

Most of the pictures in my portfolio were done in a studio, it's only some of the later ones which are results of a home shoot. The one of Sam and the Vin Deisel Moment was done on her leather sofa using one light source with a barn door to selectively light her top half, which is another reason why I'm beginning to favour using my own lights as you are more likely to experiment and grow as a photographer.

Unfortunately due to work and family commitments I don't have the time to edit and post photos on epz as I would like, but I hope to get some more of ny home shoot material on soon.

Alister

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72271 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2012 - 12:05 AM

I agree with Alister - the only group shoots I've done have been lighting workshops, where you get such a short window of opportunity in which to get any shots, and they all end up being very similar to the other togs shots at the event.
    Whilst I don't shoot at the model's houses, I either hire a village hall or find a suitable location to shoot.

You end up with a set of unique shots, a better relationship with the model, and a much better experience that will move your photography and lighting knowlefge forward a lot quicker than a group shoot.

thebigyin
    16 Apr 2012 - 1:22 AM

Hi Andrew,

You have a great port by the way,

Funnily you mentioned about hiring a village hall, my brother has mentioned this as we now have the lights and a backdrop, but I'm just not sure how easy it would be to do, and also would there be any objections for it to be used for taking pictures of nude models, just interested in your experience?

Alister

arhb
    16 Apr 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi Alister,
    first thing I found about hiring local halls, is to shop around a bit. I found that hall hire charges range from 6-20/hour, so worth researching.
    Most halls also vary - some have stages for productions, kitchens, hallways, bathrooms and storage rooms etc, which can have tremendous potential for certain shots.

With regard to objections about the nature of the shoot, when asked, I always say fashion, which is fundamentally the truth in my case, although some fashions are created to show varying degrees of nudity.
    I just don't know whether they would hire or not, if you were honest in saying that you were shooting nudes. It depends on the individual hirer, and how open minded they are.

I always lock the doors once all collaborating members have arrived, to stop any unwanted intrusions or interuptions.
    I also state when asked, that the shoot is for my personal portfolio, which is still also true, but if the hirers think you're doing something for commercial purposes, they will possibly hike up the hire rates.

HTH Smile

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53623 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hi Ivan,

Both of these look great, but then i've not been to any yet - Both in London / not leicester :-(
    www.londonspeedlitescene.co.uk http://www.meetup.com/London-Portrait-Club/

I'm very much hoping to be able to share images of a dreadlocks model in a few days.

Cheers,
    Stuart

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 16 Apr 2012 - 12:38 PM
    ivanrakk
    16 Apr 2012 - 11:07 PM

thanks once again guys...

arhb
    17 Apr 2012 - 9:11 AM

I just remembered this Ivan -
    Photographers, Models & Creatives Group
    It used to be called Alternative Photographers & Models Group.
    Though this is based in north London, it might be worth contacting them, to find out about similar groups in your area.

RichardN00
    17 Apr 2012 - 12:56 PM

Blue Carrot Studios in Nottingham advertise themselves as Alternative and Fetish studios, I looked at them last year when I was looking for a interesting venue to shoot a Dark Fusion dance group

They have (had) models on their books that you could hire at the same time as the studio, I believe some of them were also TFP as well

I'm not sure if they are still going as the web site seems to be down at the moment

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.