Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Re the locked stolen photo what to do thread

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
18 Dec 2012 - 2:30 PM

Many of us have found that the County Court is a complete waste of time.

Experienced defendants have twigged that a CC judgement means something like, "the Court agrees that Mr XXX does indeed owe you £££ and you may now collect it with the blessing of the Court". There isn't much we can do if the defendant doesn't feel like paying up.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Dec 2012 - 2:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2012 - 3:18 PM

If the cost is more than £750 you can apply for a bankruptcy petition - I like the idea of that!
Mindy you, it costs about £800 (coincidentally Tongue!)

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2012 - 4:57 PM

Quote: Many of us have found that the County Court is a complete waste of time.

Add me to that list.

GlennH
GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2012 - 5:05 PM

Who is 'us' out of interest? And who is it that didn't pay? Ragamuffins that play the system are abound, although anyone genuinely in debt would have my sympathy.

I've used threat of county court to force an unresponsive spiv landlord out of the woodwork when he owed me money. Worked quite efficiently - no lawyers involved. What is this new facility for photographers if it isn't recognition that not enough has been done up until this point for individuals? Seems to me to be something of a shift, but I'll reserve judgement for a while.

I don't really understand photographers who don't give a crap about unauthorised use of their work - except the banana boat amateurs that enjoy it for reasons of vanity.

Cephus
Cephus  92123 forum posts England
18 Dec 2012 - 8:43 PM

Quote: except the banana boat amateurs that enjoy it for reasons of vanity.

???? Please explain. banana boat.

Last Modified By Cephus at 18 Dec 2012 - 8:45 PM
GlennH
18 Dec 2012 - 9:56 PM

Quote: ???? Please explain. banana boat.

Someone that is said to have come 'straight off of a banana boat' is naive, or inexperienced, although I haven't a clue where the phrase originates from.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2012 - 10:04 PM

Quote: Please explain. banana boat

Same as in Bovril boats, boats that carried crap.

Quote: I don't really understand photographers who don't give a crap about unauthorised use of their work

I don`t give a crap, if I did I wouldn`t post Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 18 Dec 2012 - 10:08 PM
Jestertheclown
18 Dec 2012 - 10:13 PM

Quote: I don`t give a crap, if I did I wouldn`t post Smile

Yep!

Cephus
Cephus  92123 forum posts England
18 Dec 2012 - 10:16 PM

Someone that is said to have come 'straight off of a banana boat' is naive, or inexperienced, although I haven't a clue where the phrase originates from.

OK thanks for the explanation, I agree it's a very strange phrase.

GlennH
18 Dec 2012 - 10:19 PM

Quote: I don`t give a crap, if I did I wouldn`t post Smile

Well yeah Paul, but you're just a knockabout hobbyist aren't you?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yep just like you.

GlennH
18 Dec 2012 - 10:27 PM

Quote: Yep just like you.

Tongue

mikehit
mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2012 - 10:38 PM

The banana boats (yep - the boats carrying shipments of bananas from the West Indies) were the cheapest way to get across to UK or America. So someone 'off the banana boat' was a new immigrant, usually looking pretty clueless about what was going on.

GlennH
18 Dec 2012 - 11:51 PM

Apologies for what seemed a very condescending post, Paul - sincerely. Of course I'm a hobbyist, but I also rely on licensing photos to help me eatódon't really care about the semantics. If I could put Muppet on a tax form I'd do it.

Maybe it's just me then, although I'm not precious about my pictures, particularly, nor do I generally take the type of photo that's going to be stolen with any great frequency. It's just that I've worked too hard at this and for too long to agree with the notion of a free-for-all. Other people clearly think differently, and are coming at it from a different perspective.

thewilliam
19 Dec 2012 - 12:54 AM

And who is it that didn't pay?

When the County Court judges against somebody, a CCJ appears on their credit history. If it is, or going to be the first, even the threat of County Court will bring the person to heel. Some rogues collect CCJs and one more isn't going to make any difference.

After a CCJ, the plaintiff is entitled to send round the bailiffs who have no right of entry to the premises and bailiffs can only enter if they're invited in. Once inside the premises, bailiffs cannot distrain goods that are deemed essential such as certain furniture and other household goods nor goods that are not fully owned by the defendant. Many a bailiff has returned empty handed.

When the Community Charge was in full swing, my then other half was Head of Revenue for a Council and I learned a lot about bailiffs while chatting to them at tedious functions. Many Councils found that Community Charge was all but impossible to collect in many cases. Although no effort was spared, many millions went uncollected.

One departed friend always threated defaulters with High Court where the officers do have teeth.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 19 Dec 2012 - 12:54 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.