Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Re the locked stolen photo what to do thread

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
20 Dec 2012 9:06PM
Exif if present is easier enough to change or replace, my guess is that this got removed at the converting to web stage Smile

Hidden watermarks are easy enough to add in Photoshop and difficult to remove.

Its pretty obvious its the same image anyway.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2012 9:17PM

Quote:If you seriously believe you cannot add more to the bottom, top, left, right of a shot by moving a camera or shooting from another close location, then i will leave you to it

Zzzzzzz. You don't get it do you? Once you move the camera the relationship between the other objects changes. Try moving your head up and down as you look at something in the room. Actually don't bother. Live in ignorance.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
20 Dec 2012 9:45PM
Rather bizarrely, I've just found one of my images on another site.

At least they've had the decency to leave my logo on it!
20 Dec 2012 9:51PM
I don't think they've copied it to their site. If you right click and say view image then look in the address bar you'll see it looks like they are hotlinking to your site, can't be certain though, you can test that by changing the image on your live site but keeping the same file name then reloading their site and see if the image changes.
20 Dec 2012 9:58PM
You can see the real addresses of the other cat images that also appear as if they are on that site including yours using Page Info in Firefox. Look

20-12-2012-21-56-34.jpg

Ask your webhost about turning on hotlink protection, if the image is hotlinked then everytime someone uses the site you linked to it will waste your bandwidth
20 Dec 2012 10:18PM
Thanks Chris,

I'll try another changing the image.
20 Dec 2012 10:27PM
I've changed the image to another, completely different one but renamed it using the file name of the image of the cat.

It hasn't made any difference. The cat's still on the other site.

I'll ask about hotlink protection anyway though.
20 Dec 2012 10:30PM
The image they link to is this one: http://www.photosbyjester.com/_/rsrc/1339176862429/singles/-black-cat/Black%20Cat%20web.jpg

It's the same as it was half an hour ago, that's direct to your site.

The one you've changed actually has a different address http://www.photosbyjester.com/_/rsrc/1356042179829/singles/-black-cat/Black%20cat%20web.jpg

Look the same at first but look at the number, you can open them at the same time in two different tabs and see.

You need to change or delete the first one
20 Dec 2012 10:49PM
I see what you mean.

How can that first link be linked directly to my site though, if the image to which that id. belongs is no longer there?
20 Dec 2012 11:12PM
It's still there http://www.photosbyjester.com/_/rsrc/1339176862429/singles/-black-cat/Black%20Cat%20web.jpg

That's your website I've linked to directly, look at the address. Your content management system hasn't actually deleted the file, just hidden it from the front end. But it's there
21 Dec 2012 7:54AM
Aha. Now I see.

Thanks again Chris. I'm just going to work so I'll look at it later. Presumably there's a way to remove it.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
21 Dec 2012 9:03AM
Jester, you're in popular demand!

I guess that's nicking your bandwidth too, although it's difficult to imagine that some of these pages get much traffic.

I didn't rummage your whole collection, by the way - I do actually have stuff to do! Anyone looking for 'nicked photos' only really needs to concentrate on those photos that are likely to have widespread appeal (e.g. cute cats, vintage cars, eye-candy landscapes or cityscapes, etc, etc).
21 Dec 2012 4:29PM
Hi Glenn,
I'd found that one too.
I'll have to work out how to remove them, although as you say, I don't suppose that it's making any difference and I'm not particularly concerned about the images being pinched.
21 Dec 2012 6:13PM
The one Glenn links to is simply a search engine's image results for the phrase "12 cars" as opposed to a website that's stolen your photo. Your photo link has the number 12 (from the date). It's similar to Google doing this and it's not really a theft attempt, just some search results.

The page in Glenn's link actually clicks through to your site (as you'd expect of a search engine)
21 Dec 2012 6:18PM
Thanks again Chris.
The other one, the Black Cat, is linking (I think) to a copy of the image in the 'deleted' box, which I think I must have uploaded at the wrong size or something and replaced.
Unfortunately, the site, or more accurately, 'Google' won't allow me to permanently delete it at the moment.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.