Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Re using Yashica lenses

hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
1 Jun 2012 6:26PM
A cash strappec friend of mine has a set of decent lenses from his old film SLR camera.

Can anyone tell me what mount they had and if they can be used on any old but good YASHICA DSLR body?
Once I know I can browse eBay for n old but decent DSLR body.

Cheers!

Hobbo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
1 Jun 2012 7:54PM
I think you need something like this. You can get them for all the main camera manufacturers. I'm not sure what functions will work though?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiwifotos-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Yashica/dp/B004CG0HTW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338576748&sr=8-3-fkmr1

Ken

OOps, just realised you want to use them on a film body!
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
1 Jun 2012 10:04PM

Quote:I think you need something like this. You can get them for all the main camera manufacturers. I'm not sure what functions will work though?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiwifotos-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Yashica/dp/B004CG0HTW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338576748&sr=8-3-fkmr1

Ken

OOps, just realised you want to use them on a film body!

Noooooo!

He hopefully wants to fit his old YASHICA film camera lenses on to a digital DSLR body, preferably a cheap eBay one, we just want to know, which ( say 8 mp) digital body should we look for on eBay and will it need adapters.

Any advice here will be very useful.

Hobbo
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Jun 2012 10:17PM
What ever camera he decides on, it will need an adapter and these start out pretty cheap.

It will be stop down metering as well as manual focus on all cameras, but some adapters have a focus confirmation chip built in.

Yashica don`t make dslr bodies, probably some of the cheapest will be from the line of CSC, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Jun 2012 10:34PM
I seem to recall that Contax and Yashica shared a mount.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Jun 2012 10:39PM
They did but they don`t make a dslr
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
1 Jun 2012 10:49PM
You're probably right - I think the Contax N Digital DSLR may have used a different mount.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Jun 2012 11:07PM
Unless dslr is a typo, early Yashica slr`s used the m42 screw mount.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
1 Jun 2012 11:17PM
Contax did show a prototype DSLR but I don't think that it got to serious production.

Yashica started off with the M42 screw mount back in the 1960s. When they joined forces with Contax in the 1970s, they used a bayonet mount. Then Contax redesigned their mount to have a much larger diameter. In the same way that the Canon EOS mount is much larger than the old FD bayonet to allow introduction of the 85mm f1.2 and similar.

You need to establish which mount your friend has.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Jun 2012 11:28PM

Quote:Contax did show a prototype DSLR but I don't think that it got to serious production

And it went into production for almost a year, the lenses that were made for it, if found, can be converted to work on modern Canon, and still retain autofocus I believe.
2 Jun 2012 12:06PM
The Contax camera - their digital model was the Contax N1 Digital. It was reviewed in Amateur Photographer, but I cannot lay my hands on the article.As posted above the N series lenses were different to the original Contax/Yashica bayonet lenses.
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
2 Jun 2012 4:34PM
Thank you everyone, his further information may help narrow the search for he right digital body for his lenses.

.QUOTE
Thanks for the 'lens' info - I had a look at the lens I've got and they are K-mount fittings I think....one is actually a Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8 - 200mm, 1: 3.8 - 5.6 Macro..QUOTE ENDS

What I need then, is to know what digital camera body or bodies I need to look for on eBay, and will a K mount YASHICA lens need an adaptor?

I am guessing (to keep his spending to a minimum) a dated but working say 8MP body would still be capable of taking decent photographs?

He is a cash strapped wildlife artist who takes pics for his reference files and not for high quality printing or publishing.

Cheers all

Hobbo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.