Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Re using Yashica lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3736 forum postshobbo vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 6:26 PM

A cash strappec friend of mine has a set of decent lenses from his old film SLR camera.

Can anyone tell me what mount they had and if they can be used on any old but good YASHICA DSLR body?
    Once I know I can browse eBay for n old but decent DSLR body.

Cheers!

Hobbo

Last Modified By hobbo at 1 Jun 2012 - 6:26 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jun 2012 - 6:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 112913 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 7:54 PM

I think you need something like this. You can get them for all the main camera manufacturers. I'm not sure what functions will work though?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiwifotos-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Yashica/dp/B004CG0HTW/ref=s...

Ken

OOps, just realised you want to use them on a film body!

Last Modified By franken at 1 Jun 2012 - 7:56 PM
    hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3736 forum postshobbo vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 10:04 PM

Quote: I think you need something like this. You can get them for all the main camera manufacturers. I'm not sure what functions will work though?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiwifotos-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Yashica/dp/B004CG0HTW/ref=s...

Ken

OOps, just realised you want to use them on a film body!

Noooooo!

He hopefully wants to fit his old YASHICA film camera lenses on to a digital DSLR body, preferably a cheap eBay one, we just want to know, which ( say 8 mp) digital body should we look for on eBay and will it need adapters.

Any advice here will be very useful.

Hobbo

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214378 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 10:17 PM

What ever camera he decides on, it will need an adapter and these start out pretty cheap.

It will be stop down metering as well as manual focus on all cameras, but some adapters have a focus confirmation chip built in.

Yashica don`t make dslr bodies, probably some of the cheapest will be from the line of CSC, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 10:34 PM

I seem to recall that Contax and Yashica shared a mount.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214378 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 10:39 PM

They did but they don`t make a dslr

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 10:49 PM

You're probably right - I think the Contax N Digital DSLR may have used a different mount.

Paul Morgan
    1 Jun 2012 - 11:07 PM

Unless dslr is a typo, early Yashica slr`s used the m42 screw mount.

thewilliam
    1 Jun 2012 - 11:17 PM

Contax did show a prototype DSLR but I don't think that it got to serious production.

Yashica started off with the M42 screw mount back in the 1960s. When they joined forces with Contax in the 1970s, they used a bayonet mount. Then Contax redesigned their mount to have a much larger diameter. In the same way that the Canon EOS mount is much larger than the old FD bayonet to allow introduction of the 85mm f1.2 and similar.

You need to establish which mount your friend has.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 1 Jun 2012 - 11:18 PM
    Paul Morgan
    1 Jun 2012 - 11:28 PM

Quote: Contax did show a prototype DSLR but I don't think that it got to serious production

And it went into production for almost a year, the lenses that were made for it, if found, can be converted to work on modern Canon, and still retain autofocus I believe.

polis_928tadw59

The Contax camera - their digital model was the Contax N1 Digital. It was reviewed in Amateur Photographer, but I cannot lay my hands on the article.As posted above the N series lenses were different to the original Contax/Yashica bayonet lenses.

hobbo
    2 Jun 2012 - 4:34 PM

Thank you everyone, his further information may help narrow the search for he right digital body for his lenses.

.QUOTE
    Thanks for the 'lens' info - I had a look at the lens I've got and they are K-mount fittings I think....one is actually a Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8 - 200mm, 1: 3.8 - 5.6 Macro..QUOTE ENDS

What I need then, is to know what digital camera body or bodies I need to look for on eBay, and will a K mount YASHICA lens need an adaptor?

I am guessing (to keep his spending to a minimum) a dated but working say 8MP body would still be capable of taking decent photographs?

He is a cash strapped wildlife artist who takes pics for his reference files and not for high quality printing or publishing.

Cheers all

Hobbo

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.