Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Real or Fake?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6535 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Oct 2010 - 12:55 PM

Found this image on the BBC - Linky Thing

Real or fake? I'm erring on the side of fake - surely the lightning would have struck the top of her arm? And wouldn't the area around the statue be illuminated buy the bolt? It looks as though its line of sight - the bolt came down just behind the statue from the shooters view point - look at the light on the water . . . .

What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Oct 2010 - 12:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Oct 2010 - 1:03 PM

hmm does look behind... the image is terrible quality though lol.

Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6535 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Oct 2010 - 1:11 PM

Thats coz he used a Nikon . . . . . . Wink

User_Removed
    13 Oct 2010 - 1:55 PM

Quote: Thats coz he used a Nikon . . . . . . Wink

No - he had been waiting 40 years for the photo - so was suffering a bit of camera-shake!

ripleysalien
    13 Oct 2010 - 2:06 PM

Looks fake to me, the island she is on seems to be added over the water. also dosnt seem to be enough light for the size of the lightning bolt.
    Water looks pretty calm to considering there is a storm going on.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
    13 Oct 2010 - 2:33 PM

Looks to me like the lightning is hitting the other side of the water

Ganto
    Ganto  8769 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Oct 2010 - 2:35 PM

Lightening will find the easiest path to earth, which is not necessarily the highest point.
    Thunderstorms often occur in calm heavy conditions, and this was a 5 second exposure, so the water won't look stormy.
    The picture quality is crap because a 60mm lens will not be long enough to get a descent picture of the statue from Battery Park... the picture is an enlarged crop.

What is curious though, is the angle. From ground level, I don't think it's possible to see so much water beyond the statue. Perhaps he wasn't braving the elements at all, but sitting calmly in a building with a view!

Big Bri
    13 Oct 2010 - 2:37 PM

You can see the full shot here

Big Bri
    13 Oct 2010 - 2:46 PM

Although apparently the statue is hit by lightning about 300 times a year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkIGxZEv5mg

Ganto
    Ganto  8769 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Oct 2010 - 2:54 PM

Aha! Well done Bri. That confirms my view theory then!
    Strangely enough, I arrived in New York, the day after that storm in the video, and left the day before the lightning photo was taken, and the weather was terrific... blue sky and 26 degrees!

Last Modified By Ganto at 13 Oct 2010 - 3:01 PM
    BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Oct 2010 - 7:13 PM

Quote: Lightening will find the easiest path to earth, which is not necessarily the highest point.Thunderstorms often occur in calm heavy conditions, and this was a 5 second exposure, so the water won't look stormy.
    The picture quality is crap because a 60mm lens will not be long enough to get a descent picture of the statue from Battery Park... the picture is an enlarged crop.

What is curious though, is the angle. From ground level, I don't think it's possible to see so much water beyond the statue. Perhaps he wasn't braving the elements at all, but sitting calmly in a building with a view!

very true.... if you paused just before the lighting hit the floor, then you would see the 'lightning' travelling upwards as well as downwards.... and its the least resistance path that makes the bolt from above join the bolt from the floor. and as said.... it doesnt have to be the highest point. Smile

The photo is obviously real, and as i have taken lighting strike pictures (one being on the first pages of my portfolio) i know that due to the long exposure you dont get the 'normal' looking surroundings. like the water looking calmer etc. Smile

User_Removed
    13 Oct 2010 - 7:43 PM

zap.jpg

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.